Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2018, 12:00 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
On the e-series, there's a second, identical, unused connector under the dash to confuse hooking up a brake controller. One is the color or the one in your picture, and the other one is darker, closer to black or brown. It's been a while. IIRC, you want the one that's on the inside of the drivers side fender, not the one more centrally in the drivers footwell. Check continuity to the connectors on the back frame rail of the van to be sure.

. . .

Edit: Looking at your picture, I fear that may be the wrong connector. Try digging a bit into the harnesses on the left wall.
It is the connector that is centrally located below the steering column but I don't find another connector that is not being used already. I'll keep digging. The wire colors seem to match up to the frame rail, esp. a couple of odd ball two color wires. Can't get a good view of the wires going to the 7-pin 'cuz they're wrapped but it looks positive.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
I have the Max Coupler (first generation, I believe) and it's the only coupler I use on my teardrop. You occasionally have to man-handle it a little to get the two sides lined up to insert the hitch pin, but once you get familiar with it, its not a big deal.

Its gone offroad with me over hundreds of miles, and its gone on the interstate with me at 75mph.

Herb
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
Weather or not you need a fancy hitch depends on what you're going to do. Standard balls are pretty darn tough, but if over-travelled while offroad, can pop out.

There's an offroad coupler that allows a lot more 'flex angle' differential between the towed and the towing vehicles, that's worth looking into, if you plan on doing any 'jeeper trails' (Lock-n-roll, max coupler, etc)
https://locknroll.com/shop-now/?rout...ategory&path=1

Max Coupler Articulating Trailer Hitch - Four Wheeler Magazine
Tom and Herb (and All):
Will look into these suggestions. One thing I didn't mention is we're getting Adventure Trailer's "multi-axis controller" that allows the trailer to swivel (my word, not their's) independently of the tow vehicle. I think that is similar to the Max Coupler but I will find out.

-d-

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Yeah, the best brake controller by far is the factory Ford integrated controller. It replaces the coin holder. BTW - I'm pretty sure that's also where your connector is hiding, is behind that thing.

2nd best controller is the Prodigy P3. They also sell the Primus which works the same, but without the fancy display. Slightly less intuitive to setup however.

Skip the timer based units. Those shouldn't even be allowed to be called "controllers".

BTW - check out Bull Dog couplers. They work with any regular hitch ball, but maintain full strength even backwards, or with negative tongue weight. Situations that might make a standard latch come off. Bulldog couplers are nearly standard issue on horse trailers and other ag equipment.
Carringb,

Ford wants ~$400 for the controller & installation. Is it worth it? Esp. w/only 2000 pounds--at least until we buy a Lance like Ref. (We had a Lance camper once upon a time. It was sweet. A friend recently purchased a trailer. It's at least as sweet.)

Will check Bull Dog. Thanks.

Don

Old 08-14-2018, 12:48 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
2nd best controller is the Prodigy P3. They also sell the Primus which works the same, but without the fancy display. Slightly less intuitive to setup however.

Skip the timer based units. Those shouldn't even be allowed to be called "controllers".
Looks like there's a consensus on this product line.

Don

Old 08-14-2018, 01:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo View Post
It is the connector that is centrally located below the steering column but I don't find another connector that is not being used already. I'll keep digging. The wire colors seem to match up to the frame rail, esp. a couple of odd ball two color wires. Can't get a good view of the wires going to the 7-pin 'cuz they're wrapped but it looks positive.
See carringb's note on the stock location. My info is based on a '99 and while some things never changed in the vans, others did. IIRC the wire colors were close enough to be confusing. Testing continuity to the back or measuring the signal from pressing the brake should make it really obvious that you have the right one.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:54 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
See carringb's note on the stock location. My info is based on a '99 and while some things never changed in the vans, others did. IIRC the wire colors were close enough to be confusing. Testing continuity to the back or measuring the signal from pressing the brake should make it really obvious that you have the right one.
Understood though I must say I'm quite impressed with the originality and creativity in color combinations for the wiring. A long way from black-red-white.

We may go with the Ford option despite its cost thanks to what you guys have said and because it keeps the clutter to a minimum. (We're already adding to it with a rear view camera for the trailer. Don't need another set of LEDs up front.) Waiting to hear from Ford about delivery and schedule.

Don

Old 08-14-2018, 03:35 PM   #17

X2 on the Tekonsha Prodigy. I had an earlier model on my Ford that worked well and have the newer P3 that I picked up from JSweezy when he went a different route and I've been happy with it. It was an easy install. Etrailer.com is a great resource in general, but particularly for stuff like this they create a lot of videos showing model specific installs.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:06 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage
I understand trailer brakes can help you stop more safely but do you really need trailer brakes for such a small trailer? I don't even have them on my bass boat. They help in icy conditions to keep the trailer from jack knifing but for me it would be one more thing to maintain and not worth the the cost.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:21 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
I understand trailer brakes can help you stop more safely but do you really need trailer brakes for such a small trailer? I don't even have them on my bass boat. They help in icy conditions to keep the trailer from jack knifing but for me it would be one more thing to maintain and not worth the the cost.
I'd leave the answer to people who know what they're doing. We thought it was a good safety feature. Time will tell.

Don

Old 08-14-2018, 04:36 PM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo View Post
Carringb,

Ford wants ~$400 for the controller & installation. Is it worth it? Esp. w/only 2000 pounds--at least until we buy a Lance like Ref. (We had a Lance camper once upon a time. It was sweet. A friend recently purchased a trailer. It's at least as sweet.)

Will check Bull Dog. Thanks.

Don
Ford actually told you they would install the controller? That's the first time ive ever heard that.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote