Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2018, 04:39 PM   #21

Garage
Here is the factory brake controller for under 300$.

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...LXYxMC1nYXM%3D

Edit - but dont go buying it expecting it to be plug and play. You have to modify some stuff on the computer to make it work.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:50 PM   #22
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Daveb makes a valid point as to the size and weight of the trailer you’re getting. A trailer weighing in at 2000lbs shouldn’t need a brake controller, but it couldn’t hurt either, especially since the trailer is equipped, I’d suggest you turn your boost to the lowest setting. I don’t have brakes on our off road trailer, haven’t felt the need for em, even loaded up at close to 2000lbs., but I have upgraded front rotors and pads that help out.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:54 PM   #23

I have used the Tekonsha and numerous others. They are all so-so. I just purchase a Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller from etrailer.com for my 2003 E-350 PSD Sportsmobile and I love it. You don't have to find a place to install it and take up valuable console space. I had the dial/switch installed just above the 12V plug in the dash and the controller is hidden behind the console and it is not dependent on orientation to operate properly.
twotimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:49 PM   #24
Site Team

Garage
Back in internet land so here is an update on the great brake controller adventure:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Ford actually told you they would install the controller? That's the first time ive ever heard that.
Maybe they don’t really. We stopped at Babbit Ford in Flagstaff after calling them and being told it was a 1 1/2 hour job. The service manager then announced it would be 4-5 hours because our rig did not have a factory tow package (even though that's what the window sticker says). That after a cursory review by one of his staff who looked under the steering column and at the hitch before giving his boss the "bad" news. Trying to get Towne Ford to call back to see what they say about their alleged aftermarket work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Daveb makes a valid point as to the size and weight of the trailer you’re getting. A trailer weighing in at 2000lbs shouldn’t need a brake controller, but it couldn’t hurt either, especially since the trailer is equipped, I’d suggest you turn your boost to the lowest setting. I don’t have brakes on our off road trailer, haven’t felt the need for em, even loaded up at close to 2000lbs., but I have upgraded front rotors and pads that help out.
Thanks to these comments, the Ford issue above and the fact that the harness I thought might serve for a brake controller doesn't match any pigtails to connect to an aftermarket controller (it's the same size as the pigtail so they don't connect), we're bailing on the controller for the moment.

We'll follow up when we get home to satisfy our curiosity if nothing else. Later post to come. Thanks to all.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:32 PM   #25

Sounds like you're better off attempting it yourself, rather than paying the labor for your dealer to learn about the E-series.

This it what your adapter needs to look like:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...ha/3034-P.html
Old 08-23-2018, 05:45 PM   #26
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Sounds like you're better off attempting it yourself, rather than paying the labor for your dealer to learn about the E-series.

This it what your adapter needs to look like:
That's what I thought after your earlier note. Does the coin tray pop out with a screwdriver or such?

Spoke with the fleet sales manager at Towne. He handles the SMBW sales. Not much help. Went on and on about all the complex wiring these days and did you know that the tailgate on the $80000 fancy schmancy F150 costs $5500 to replace cuz of all the wiring and cameras and stuff?

Looks like I'll have plenty of time to play with this after we get the trailer next week. Thanks to all for your help.

Dom

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote