Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #11

Re: which floorplan for MTB?

I saw a van last summer with a receiver on the front of it that they had put their bike rack into. Bikes on the front make sense to me. Keeps them away from a lot of dust and road slop. Also they don't interfere with the back doors. I looked quickly at the front of our van and I'm not sure how they did it. I keep telling myself to look into this when I get a chance. oclv

oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #12

I carry bikes on top and front. I used to use a trunk rack for the front, but now I have a front receiver, so I can use a carrier to carry a couple motorcycles up front to use for running shuttle.

(white = pre-makeover... but same van)

Old 01-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #13

We travel with bikes a good bit so I'll make a few comments:

I have a rear swing away hitch mount rack (Yakima Terrafirma). If you are often in and out of the back of the van, it can be a little of a hassle because it must be swung away. But if you more setup and drive or camp for the night the bikes swing pretty nicely out of the way. Also I got it used of craigslist for $150. I have a 48"x 66" (plus 3" of incut space in the sides) bed in the back with storage which can be all reached from inside. I'm 6'2" and my fiance is 5'10"; we both sleep diagonal which can be a little cramped at the times but we manage as she likes to be a little squished by me and I like having a 1/4 of the bed open to my side. When we stop for a night we pop the bungees and swing the bikes to the side; takes about 2 minutes.
-With the dinnette/hallway setup we have I'm able to put two bikes inside if I want to which is nice if I'm leaving them at a trailhead for a long time.
-Our layout would probably not work well with a large dog crate.

-On roof is not an option for me as I travel through too many different forests which often have low hanging tree branches which already clip my contempo top.
-I like the idea of a front hitch but not if you will be doing a lot of night driving as my experience is it can block headlights some and coat your bike with bugs.
-I only have 2wd which at first I was conserned about but I think my risk tolerance is low for driving home up more than what I can in 2wd which is a fair amount.
-I would watch your wheel base as it will cause a longer turning radius. This is one of the reasons sportsmobile has gone with Ford E series and Dodge Ram extended van is the van gets longer but the wheel base stays the same. This is may not be true of sprinters?
Old 01-31-2010, 05:20 PM   #14

This is a big concern for my wife and I as well. We plan on having a slightly modified RB 13 plan in our EB and have been trying to figure out how much space is actually needed in the back area for 2 mountain bikes side by side with the front tires removed. I have seen a RB 50 plan in a EB that shows 2 road bikes tucked back there nicely in the extra 20" but the handle bars on a mountain bike are a few inches wider. We think that ~27" will be required, making our dinette even narrower. Any thoughts or pics?

Ideas and feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Derek
tomesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #15
Site Team

There is a used 2007 Lopes 55 on the SMBw pre-owned site.

Herb
Old 02-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #16

There is another Lopes style interior further down in a plain Sprinter. Too many good looking vans...