Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon
Re: You scream, I scream, we all scream for Airstream

On smaller trailers,one can check with a bathroom scale. On larger trailers, mostly by common sense I suppose, or take it down to the truck scales
With the trailers we made, we weighed them with the loads they were meant to carry on a truck scale. With trailers such as utility trailers, where the manufacturer doesn't have any control over how it's loaded, we had to trust that the person who bought the trailer wouldn't do something like stick a motorcycle way out behind the back. Same with our vans; putting a relatively heavy motorcycle way back on an extended hitch doesn't help the handling, but SMB doesn't have any control over stuff like that after the van leaves Fresno.
Bill

Old 09-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #12

Sherline makes a tongue scale for up to 5000#:

http://www.sherline.com/scales.htm

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #13

I have a Sherline Tongue Scale if anyone wants to borrow it. Just pay shipping both ways.

PS: I can Bring it to Valley of the Fire if needed.

Paul
Old 10-10-2011, 01:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally
The older trailers are a LOT heavier than newer ones. A lot of wood was used in the construction (maybe not in Airstreams?) and it can get water logged.

Good luck, I really like the older trailers too. It feels like a log cabin inside.
I am a recovering Airstream addict, presently playing with vans, and Airstream weights are OPPOSITE of other trailers. Older Airstreams are lighter, and newer ones have gotten REALLY heavy, outrageously heavy, and they aren't nearly as classy as the older ones. Before 1970 they have real wood interiors and are lighter and really much more desireable (read $$$$$). I have a 1973 Sovereign that weighs in at about 6500 and the 60's years of the same length, even with a dual axle, are probably 1000 to 1500 lbs lighter.

My advice would be to seek out a 1970 or older, and be prepared to pay. Don't buy the first one you look at, because if it isn't sold already, it needs serious work. A new floor, frame repair (from rust), new axles because the original torsion axles all sag as the rubber dries out, and more than likely tail separation (google it, or spend a few hours on Airforums) cost thousands and lots of time to fix properly. Oh, and they all leak. They ALL leak, or have leaked, and have damage somewhere. I'd go with a double axle as well, because, when dealing with Airstreams, you will inevitably have a lot of time and money in one before too long, and a tire failure on a single axle is more likely to cause catastrophic damage, usually due to the crash it causes. To answer your original question, Yes, dual axles do tow better. Modern tire technology helps as well, but i've always gone by the rule that no matter the mileage, just put new tires on a trailer every 5 years. Plan on it, and don't put it off, no matter how good they still might look.
Good luck, Airstreams are the most timeless campers ever made, and the interior innovations were many years before their time.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #15

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/rvs/2650471995.html
Old 10-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #16

While the older Airstreams may have classic appeal, the rounded curves (old & new) EAT into usable space. In head room and storage capacity.
I have shopped and purchased a modern trailer and that is my opinion on the Airstreams.
But yes they have a classic look.
The discontinued Basecamp is awesome.
I heard there may be a few unsold Basecamps around the country...
An Airstream rep said the Japanese were buying up the Basecamps.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #17
Site Team

The Basecamps are interesting, but without seeing on ein person, I can't tell if I like it or hate it.

I think I'd much rather give up some ammenities of the Basecamp, and get a nicely outfitted offroad tear-drop. Not that it's much cheaper.

Herb