Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2020, 05:40 PM   #1

06 Duramax Van Value

Hey all, looking for some help to value my van in what you'd consider paying for it if it were your style and desired build. It's kind of a unicorn van with the LWB and 06 LBZ Duramax. I don't post much, but lurk frequently.

It currently has 118k miles on it. It has an Edge tuner and programmer, Full 5" exhaust, deeper trans pan, Transgo shift kit, and 3.73 rear gear. It's still 2wd but leveled with 285/65/18s on it.

Interior was built by me and Campfyre Vans. The floor is laminate wood-look planks secured to 1" plywood insulated below with dynamat. The walls are insulated with R Max foam insulation and any gaps were filled with Great Stuff and spray foam. It has a fold down couch/bed from Blazin Bell Tech mounted to the wall for sleeping and sitting while stopped. Cabinetry and finish work was completed by Campfyre Vans and doesn't have water but there is electrical. I have a Renogy 150w panel on the roof running to a 40a Renogy MPPT and 120ah battery. There is a built in spot for a fridge (we have Dometic CFX50) and the Maxxair Fan was installed in the ceiling. All electrical is wired to a switch panel near the edge of the bed. There is a stereo system with two JL 10" subwoofers under the bed and upgraded speakers/head unit as well.

All in all, I want to build something a little newer and easier to drive so my girlfriend would also be willing to drive on trips. I have had zero issues with this van but wouldn't mind being able to relax for an hour here or there while she drives. I've included photos to help you guys see the interior. It's super clean in and out for a 14yr old van.

Thanks for the help. Your comments will likely be the base of my decision on keeping versus trying to sell and getting a newer van.

DJ
Attached Thumbnails
MVIMG_20200710_172407.jpg   MVIMG_20190808_145456.jpg   PANO_20190808_145941.vr.jpg   MVIMG_20190808_164434.jpg   MVIMG_20190503_062409.jpg  

Djp087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:33 PM   #2

If your talking about something easier to drive down the freeway and still talking vans, I guess I don’t know what your other options are that would be better? Sweet van, I get the long wheelbase could be challenging to park but to just drive....I dunno seems like less of an issue and one that’ll be hard to make discernibly better with another van. I’m biased but I’m a fan of what you’ve already got.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:50 PM   #3

Transit/short wheelbase sprinter definitely drive more car-like. Regardless of that, what do you think you'd pay for it if you were buying?
Old 07-12-2020, 07:51 PM   #4

And also thanks for the compliment. I too love the van which is why I'm considering all the options. I'm sure most people on here know the feeling.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:13 PM   #5

For sure, I understand. I mean heading down the highway I don’t think there’s much difference. Around town, yes there’s a difference for sure. Sheesh I don’t know having not really comped anything lately and I may value your van more than others bc I know how great that engine is.....I’d hate to throw out a number.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:19 PM   #6

I’ll throw out a number: $20k. I don’t really know what duramax vans are worth. But I know homebrews rarely get good money because they are very personally designed. Van looks awesome with the level kit. But it’s still 2wd. Pop tops add value since they are expensive.

If people really love the duramax, maybe you to $30k. But if it were a gasser, I’d say $15k. It’s the sad reality. Nows a great time to sell though. Put it up for $30k and prove me wrong. I hope you get lots for it.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:26 AM   #7

Garage
Any full-size van will be big. Transits might feel more car-like, but still large. I agree with WhitH that long wheel base is no different driving down the highway, but much different around town with corners and parking.

Why don't you take your girlfriend to test drive a Transit?

I'd hate to get rid of your van, but on the other hand it is a good time to sell. No idea on value, but with the market start higher if you decide to sell.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:53 AM   #8

I agree with Gramps, probably 20k territory.
86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:23 PM   #9

25k. Because it’s a Duramax and has a nice look to it with the tires/lift/interior. Just have to wait on a buyer that is wanting to get into a van they get to use immediately and plan out their own upgrades. Young man out there that have tried to fix up a van and burn out way early trying to go the DIY route would love to have that van.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:40 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I do think you're all right that the buyer has to be into the Duramax and know the platform to understand the value, similar to the 7.3 lovers just different people. I looked for almost 3yr to find the van and it was my first full size build and given I did most the tedious and difficult work, it didn't cost me too much. I had a VW before that was pretty nice, but I'm only into this a small percentage more for triple the power, twice the room and much better reliability and parts availability. Part of me would love to just pop top the thing and be done with it, but I also understand it's a total sunk cost and the value isn't there for the investment. I just have a hard time buying a van that's already been worked on because I tend to be so meticulous.

The more I look, the less I'm interested in a new van. Power and mpg figures really aren't that great since I can push mid 20s MPG if I keep my foot out of it, and I got dyno'd at 320hp and almost 700tq so the power is there for when needed. You all may have talked me out of it. Good to know there would be some interest though.