Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #11

Re: '06 Ford E350 RB 6.0L UJOR 4x4 w/ SMB Camper Top

Can somebody, incl. the seller, venture an estimate of the repair cost please?
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYG
I've seen this for sale on EXPO for a little while now. Great price but in that thread he did mention that this price reflects the fact that it does need a new cylinder head gasket. Best of luck on the sale!

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... Camper-Van

CampVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #12

I never received a quote for just the head gasket replacement, but a potential buyer spoke with both a local diesel performance shop and Chris at UJOR and was told that to take the body off, restore the EGR, install an EGR cooler, replace gaskets, clean up heads and finish the bullet-proofing, $6 - 7k. The labor/parts cost would be quite a bit less if not reinstalling the EGR and adding the cooler. Realistically it could probaly wait until 150k (another 33k miles) when it's time for an injector job. For any serious buyers, feel free to PM me and I can forward you the contact info for the local shop - both they and Chris have already spoken with someone about it, are familiar with the van and could probably give a more detailed estimate.

Just want to reiterate - there was only a bit of oil weeping from the driver's side head, not a single drop of oil on the ground and after having it diagnosed I haven't seen any oil loss or moisture on the block, filter, oil pan, etc. Most likely the shop torqued down the bolts and it's not leaking at all, as of the other morning the dipstick told me no oil had been lost.

Thanks, hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampVan
Can somebody, incl. the seller, venture an estimate of the repair cost please?
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYG
I've seen this for sale on EXPO for a little while now. Great price but in that thread he did mention that this price reflects the fact that it does need a new cylinder head gasket. Best of luck on the sale!

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... Camper-Van
citizen72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
Site Team

FWIW, I don't think any of the 4 diesels I've ever owned haven't put at least some oil on the ground. I wouldn't let that scare me off, but worst case have a diesel mechanic give you their assessment with an inspection.

Herb
Old 12-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #14

Also for what it's worth, a prospective buyer and I pulled the doghouse off about an hour ago and there's not a spot of oil leaking from the head/gasket. Dry as a bone. Now that's not to suggest the 6.0L's are self-healing or anything, but my assumption is the shop tightened up the head bolts when they were in there and what little oil had been leaking is now not leaking at all.

I did discover a leak in the roof of my house this morning, however, so am motivated to sell the van - the price is still the same and is still negotiable.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
FWIW, I don't think any of the 4 diesels I've ever owned haven't put at least some oil on the ground. I wouldn't let that scare me off, but worst case have a diesel mechanic give you their assessment with an inspection.

Herb
citizen72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #15

VERY tempting...
But I'd have to sell my van, and... And...

Good luck!