Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #1

1991 Sportsmobile 4x4 E250 95K miles $22k obo

The Van-
1991 FORD E-250 Econoline 4x4 with manual Warn hubs
5.8 liter, V8 EFI, Fuel type-Gas
Automatic Transmission with overdrive
Silver with grey accent stripe
Power brakes, power steering, tilt wheel, duel fuel tanks, cruise control, power windows, power locks, tow package, new 10 ply BFG AT TA 265/75/16 Treadwright tires, 2 spare tires, A/C 4x60 (open 4 windows and go 60 mph)Needs re-charged, new stereo with usb port and speakers.

Recently added or replaced in the last few years-
Suspension-All leaf springs and added 2” lift, windshield, wheels, tires, fuel filter, shocks, radiator and hoses, thermostat, belt, water pump, plugs, wires and rotor, alternator, relay, oil pressure switch, manifold gaskets, valve cover gaskets, vacuum lines, coolant flush, tie rod ends, drag links and ball joints, re-packed wheel bearings and added custom low profile roof rack with 4 Thule bars.

The Conversion-
Sportsmobile West converted the van in Nov. 1991 adding the penthouse top with removable panels for sleeping area, swivel seats and camping package with electrical and lighting package, CO2 sensor, electric fridge, sink, 9 gallon holding tank with electric pump, propane tank and hose for stove long enough to cook on the rear bumper, (found it much better to cook outside the van using a Coleman 2 burner stove), place for a microwave, along with some plumbing and a grey water holding tank. There are privacy curtains and drop down shades for the windows along with a privacy curtain for the lower sleeping area. Sleeps 4.

In 2008 the previous owner remodeled the van to suit their needs in order to travel for a year from Idaho to Canada, then down to Central America and back to Idaho. They removed the carpet, two rear captain’s chairs, and rebuilt the rear gaucho bed and boxes. They went through the wiring to organize or repair as needed and added the solar with (2) 40 watt panels, MPPT charge controller, (2)SCS-150 Trojan Batteries, a 3rd battery under the hood, and a 500 watt inverter with ext. switch. They added sound deadening membrane, Insulation under the bamboo H/W floor and walls. As for cabinetry, They rebuilt the pantry by adding individual drawers with locks to be easier accessed. They added two more cabinet boxes, replaced the door fronts, hinges, and pulls. The tops and table were replaced with maple butcher block to provide the extra counter space. The rear storage boxes fold out for a bed or sitting area. They have ample amount of storage that includes the water tank and batteries.

A custom rear bumper was added that is used as an exterior work surface for cooking or washing dishes, with locking storage and locking jerry can storage for an extra 10 gallons of fuel. The hitch is extended and can be utilized for towing. There is plenty of room in the box to store all tools, shovel, jack, gear, equipment, etc. that would be needed for the journey of your choice. It also makes a great place to sit or stand on the way in or out the back doors.
The spare tire is mounted and lockable on the front ARB bumper that was re-enforced to carry the extra weight of the tire.

Advanced Four Wheel Drive in Salt Lake installed the front end with a Dana 44 Solid axel in October, 1991. All stickers are on the driver’s door jamb with GVRW.
Things to be aware of-
The sending unit for the front fuel tank is currently only working intermittently, therefore the gas guage for that tank does not always read amount of gas in tank.
The automatic return for the windshield does not work, therefore you have to manually stop the wipers in the down position.
The AC does not blow cold air. I was told it needs to be recharged, but I have not looked into it.

[photo][/photo]Closing-
We have only owned this van for a couple of months, I lost my job two weeks after purchasing it and have subsequently decided to go back to school full time for the next three years and we just cannot afford to hold onto it. My wife and I have taken several trips in the van and have had zero issues. It is a pleasure to drive and we really hate to let it go. This van has everything a newer Sportsmobile has at a fraction of the cost. The previous owner put a lot of time and money into making this van the reliable and functional van that it is, I hope we can find someone who will use and enjoy it as much as we wish we could.
Feel free to contact me by phone to ask any questions or to arrange a viewing. Van is located in Durango and title is in hand for immediate transfer.
Jeff
970-403-2259 or myer356@msn.com
[photo][/photo]

Rippley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #2

Re: 1991 Sportsmobile 4x4 E250 95K miles $22k obo

blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:47 PM   #3

I downloaded pics, not sure why they didn't show up. I'll look into it tomorrow.

Thanks for the colorful reminder.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #4

It appears my photos are too large to upload here. I will look into resizing photos when I get a chance, in the meantime the van can be viewed on ebay and Denver Craigslist.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:01 PM   #5

good luck with your sale.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #6

couldn't find it on eBay or Denver Craigslist.

maybe post the links?
Old 10-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #7

ebay link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-E-S ... 3a6b95282d
Old 10-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #8

yep, that link worked.
maybe it wasn't up yesterday?
Old 10-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #9

Thanks for posting the link rockbender, sweet van you have there! Do you guys have an opinion as to the pricing of the van? Too low, too high, just right?
Old 10-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #10

Opinions on pricing vary greatly. If you need it and can afford the money it may be cheap. If you are happy with what you have it may be alot more money than you would pay for it. For someone it may be just right.

1. It is 20 years old

2. It is gas powered, probably a 5.8L engine

3. The AC doesn't work

4. It doesn't seem to have a PH bed. If you are more than 5'9" it will be tight sleeping across the bed in the back.

5. It has a Dana 44 axle, not a Dana 60

Most of those issues depend.

1. What kind of care and maintainance has it had?

2. Some people don't want or need or like a diesel

3. Will a simple recharge make it work? Can you get the right Freon for a 20 year old van, or will it have to be rebuilt to work with R134?

4. You can make a PH bed for $100

5. For light duty use a Dana 44 may be adequate.

For me, it more than the price. It just looks like a van I wouldn't want. Mostly for the above reasons.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote