Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2020, 04:51 PM   #11

Sounds great but when was the last time you saw a quigley 4x4 7.3 with a pop top for sale that's what I'm asking. I've had the van almost 10 years. I haven't looked since I bought it.

dimension4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:53 PM   #12

Ps in my Opinion you could save yourself a lot of typing and put 5 numbers with a dollar sign in front instead of spraying philosophy for paragraphs. I know, harsh. That'd be my sense of humor.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:11 PM   #13

Since you asked $10,000!

Just remember your words below:

"Before I looked around I figured it was around $10-15k but then I looked on ebay and whatnot and I see more like 25-30k. I thought maybe I'd make the interior look decent and try $30,000. Is that unreasonable? Had a friend sell an 80's toyota 4x4 van for $8500 recently"

2001 Chevrolet Express 3500 Quigley 4WD ATF "Bomber Van"
1995 Chevrolet ASSTRO 4WD Quigley Custom Van
1994 Dodge B350 Sportsmobile Van
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimension4 View Post
Have you guys seen anything like it sell in the last six months? I saw one not long ago without a pop top and 2wd but lifted that was about $20k with similar mileage.

Before I looked around I figured it was around $10-15k but then I looked on ebay and whatnot and I see more like 25-30k. I thought maybe I'd make the interior look decent and try $30,000. Is that unreasonable? Had a friend sell an 80's toyota 4x4 van for $8500 recently
Just depends... Not knowing anything about the van and making some basic assumptions (Everything works, the frame isn't rotted out, you have done proper maintenance w/ records, etc), I'd say a good starting point is finding a similar 2wd van, +$10K for 4WD. Depending on how expensive other things are (Audio system, interior conversion, creature comforts like power windows/mirrors/seats) could all add value as well.

In my personal opinion... I'm not convinced the top necessarily adds value. On one hand, there might be someone looking for that, on the other hand there are other people who are looking for a 4x4 van without a pop-top on it.

On the low end, maybe $17.5 and on the high end $27.5? Really hard to dial a number in when all we've got to work with is two exterior photos.

TL;DR: The only thing more crazy than the diesel/V10 4x4 van market is the pre-emissions diesel pickup market. Depending on how long you want to hold out for the right buyer, you could probably get quite a bit for it.

This looks similar-ish, same year, EB, diesel, 4x4. I believe this one has been listed 2-3x, all in the low 20K's price.
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/...057400166.html
There is another one that is/was in sfbay CL that was a '08 Quig with the 6.0... 100K miles, full passenger interior EB, nice green color. Wanted $30K, then 28, now I think he's at 27,5 or 27. It's been up there for a year. Maybe more.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Sounds great but when was the last time you saw a quigley 4x4 7.3 with a pop top for sale that's what I'm asking. I've had the van almost 10 years. I haven't looked since I bought it.
My brother sold his within the last year for around $37k-38k I think. He had 40k less miles and an Agile TTB 4x4 conversion that had maybe around 10k miles post conversion. Also had a full length SMB electric top with solar/batteries/fridge on the interior as well as all of the aluminess goodies (front/rear bumpers, roof rack, ladder).

While on paper your van has some attractive options "4x4" and "pop-top" at this point they are kind of outdated and not all 4x4s and pop tops are created equal. I would break it down this way:

Van itself: 10-12k
4x4 conversion: 10k
pop-top/interior: 0-2k

Total: 20-24k

You are kind of in a weird spot where you need someone with cash to spend on a van but also doesn't know too much about vans. An econoline with a euro-van top to me is a negative because I know about sportsmobile and CCV. A quigley 4x4 conversion with over 200k miles on it is definitely a plus but I know I am probably taking that thing to Agile and dumping another 3k-5k for a RIP kit.

Just my 2 cents.
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:27 PM   #16

Thanks for all the replies, those help. The thing I didn't realize is how much demand there might be for the pre emissions diesels. I had the same idea for price a couple of you guys mentioned: regular van +10k for 4x4 + about 2-4k for poptop. Good to know that I'm not real far off. I think if you were to buy the top by itself they run about 2000 now if you can find one. I did a decent job with the top install - I used 1"x1/8" square tubing welding into the ceiling with two angle braces into the side of the body. I have walked on the top before and it has had 4-5 feet of snow on it in a couple bigger storms.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies, those help. The thing I didn't realize is how much demand there might be for the pre emissions diesels. I had the same idea for price a couple of you guys mentioned: regular van +10k for 4x4 + about 2-4k for poptop.
I had a wall of text written but I've decided to try and be concise... which I still don't think I achieved-

Yes- there is a demand for the 7.3. Specifically if there is little things here and there, like MY1997 diesels being smog exempt in CA- it adds value.

That being said... there are trade-offs to everything. Diesels are heavy. Maintenance intensive (Comparatively speaking, better than 6.0, worse than 5.4/6.8). They are loud. They smell. They don't start when it's cold. They pull like hell, can be tuned pretty hot with relative ease, and get good fuel economy.

Gas V8/10's are lighter, less maintenance, quiet, start at pretty much any temperature, but lose power with altitude, are more limited in tuned power output, and get poor gas mileage.

If you put it up on the forum and said $12.5-15K OBO, you'd probably sell it day-of. If you wanted to wait for someone who was planning to do highway cruising/vacationing primarily, no serious rock crawling, [Insert how your van checks all the right boxes here], then you would get a lot more out of it. The market is situational, all about matching the right van up with the right buyer. Unlike the pickups, when people are looking for a van, they're looking for something very specific. If it checks all of the right boxes, they will be willing to pay quite a sum for it. If it is missing something, it quickly looses value to that person- and it's only worth what they are willing to pay for it.