Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2023, 03:07 PM   #1

2002 Ford E350 - Power Steering Pump and Power Steering Box ?

Greetings All -
So I own a 2002 E350 V10 - with just 16,000 actual mlles on it. It was stored for 17 years (yes you heard me right) - and recently crawled underneath and photographed the following of the power steering pump and power steering box which has me mildly concerned about the amount of rust that is evident.

It drives and steers just fine - but am seeking some input from Forum members as to -- should I replace both items - or due to low mileage - I've got no real worries until they die out - or until I've got 50 thou or more on the van ? Locally my garage guy says "its normal for that type of rust" as old as the van is - and 16,000 miles is nothing to worry about."

Thoughts -- especially from anyone with a 20+ year old van ?

Hopefully photos will attach ??
Attached Thumbnails
SMB POWR STEER BOX 0323 5803.jpg   SMB POWR STEER PUMP 0323 5805.jpg  

doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 03:09 PM   #2

Appreciate very much any "quick" replies - as van is at the mechanics garage right now ! One of this Forums "shining stars" has already expressed his opinion - and I REALLY appreciate his input ! Thanks again !
Old 03-27-2023, 03:12 PM   #3

The steering box is fabricated from a very heavy casting and won’t rust through for a hundred years. Just give it a coat of paint if your concerned. I would also look carefully at the frame, it’s likely rusted too and much thinner than the steering box. I get under my 2002 every year and clean up the frame rust.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 03:16 PM   #4

Thanks Arctic Traveler - THAT WAS LIGHTNING QUICK !! No leaking from either part - was just concerned about esthetics, etc. MUCH appreciated - that kinda backs up my mechanics thought process --
Old 03-27-2023, 06:54 PM   #5

I didn't finish my thought though. You also mentioned the pump, were you concerned about rust? The pumps are quite robust too, unless the pulley is heavily rusted you should be just fine. My pump has been making a loud squealing noise for the last year, enough so that I carry a spare one (and new not "rebuilt") That also tells me they are quite robust, but hopefully I'll get around to changing it before it quits. As for rust, as I said, check everything under the van paying attention to the frame around the steering box in particular. Hopefully its just lightly surface rusted, and a good coat of Rustolium or something similar will take care of it for years.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:00 PM   #6

Pump has a good deal of surface rust - but again - inspections shows No leaks - I might follow your lead and get/carry a new pulley and belt. Thanks again A-C !
Old 03-27-2023, 07:07 PM   #7

I'll echo what arctictraveller has said, but will also say that your 16k mile steering box with surface rust may be better than any rebuilt box you can get your hands on.

You could consider changing the fluid along with all the other fluids in the van, but it's probably fine. OTOH your brake fluid is almost certainly not fine if it wasn't changed regularly while the van was stored.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 05:45 PM   #8

Sheesh! It looks like the factory production-line barcode sticker is still on the steering box!

Ditto what ArcticTraveler and MadScience said - and count your blessings!

If the rusty appearance of these components bothers you, spray them liberally with WD-40 and forget about them. That'll darken them up and give their outer surfaces that "well used" patina.

Timerider