Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2021, 01:20 PM   #1

2002 Upgrade on Side View Mirrors - Experience ?

Greetings Forum Members --

I'm looking for anyone with experience on upgrading side view mirrors for 2002 year E350 van - from stationary to telescoping/fold forward/foldbackward.

I've asked my local Ford dealer but they state "unavailable" for the most part. I had found a pair online that stated "fits your vehicle" but did not - stating that "only if previous van had them already" - The pair I found fit the original footprint of the existing mirrors but the studs (length, etc.,) when inserted thru post/mount holes - left the mirror hanging about 1/2 to 3/4 inch from fully seating into the footprint - which obviously did not look good and would cause obvious problems with wind noise, rain intrusion, etc. Sent them back --

Just seeking anyone who has solved the "swap out" problem first hand. Thanks --

doublevan2

doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 03:37 PM   #2

1der is your man on this subject
Wirehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:49 PM   #3

Here is a thread on the swap. It can be done.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...350-21678.html

The 2002 door is different from the 2003 door when it comes to mounting the tow mirrors. The outside is the same, it is the interior sheet metal that is different.

What is your reason for going with the tow mirrors? Are you towing something that is wide enough to justify the swap and large blind spot the driver mirror creates vs the stock 2002 mirrors?
Old 05-09-2021, 12:31 PM   #4

It's a fairly easy swap. The 2002 have 3 posts and the towing mirrors have 4. So I chose to cut one off.

You have to drill the interior door side of the sheet metal with a step bit.

I used the foam gasket as a template.

Then I used a spacer to be able to tighten the top and bottom post tightly. With out the spacers you are trying to "pinch" the two pieces of door sheet material together and you will never get the mirror good and snug IMHO

The wiring requires you move a few around. Just match the colors. I unclipped them from the plug-in and moved them, no cutting required.

Took me about 3 hours to do both (2 hours on the first and an hour on the second
Attached Thumbnails
mirror cutting.jpg   Cut mirror.jpg   Gasket template.jpg   inside installed mirror.jpg   New holes.jpg  

Spacers.jpg   Matched wires.jpg   Step bit 1.jpg  
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:13 PM   #5

I went the opposite route and just added more holes to my door. Also using a step bit and using the foam as a template.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:10 PM   #6

Here is what I was looking at starting with when I had vans from both years. 2002 Inner door on left, 2003 Inner door on right (or center). 2002 Outer sheet metal is the third picture where you can see the additional holes for a 2003 mirror are missing from the OUTSIDE.

The 2002 mirrors have very short studs with nuts and washer that are tensioning against the outer door sheet metal. The 2003 mirrors have much longer studs and the door sheet metal has a recessed piece tacked to the inner sheet metal that the nuts/ washers tension against.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Sheet metal 2002.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	39697 Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Sheet Metal 2003.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	39701 Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Sheet Metal Outer 2002.JPG
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	39699

The 2003 mirror going into a 2002 door is going to present studs that are set into bosses that are designed reach the 2003 inner sheet metal piece. The holes for the additional studs can be opened up in the outer sheet metal so that is relatively easy. When it comes to the studs, the 2002 door leaves those 2003 stud bosses hanging in air with nothing to tension the nuts against. This is the challenge in swapping the '03 mirrors to the '02 doors.

I never went any farther as I actually came to appreciate the 2002 wider stock mirrors vs the the 2003 and up Tow mirror (unless I was actually towing a wide trailer). The 2003 stock non tow mirrors are actually taller but not as wide as the 2002.

It looks like Lilnuts2 removed the studs from the bosses and used button head screws and washers tensioned against the inner sheet metal. This would allow the plastic trim piece to fit back into place due to the low profile of the button heads.

I am not sure how CarringB attached secured the nuts.

One thing that has been determined is the OEM Mirrors are much preferred over the aftermarket units.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:01 PM   #7

The upper studs, I just used washers to secure to the inner skin. Plastic trim still fits. I think I had to use a longer bolt on the upper stud maybe, to fit the fender washer.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:47 PM   #8

Did this to mine. Pretty much the same thing everybody else is saying, foam gasket for a template and a step drill.

One difference, I pulled the studs out and used bolts and fender washers. The interior trim covers the hardware up nicely.

Mine had the tripod-looking mirrors on it originally. The difference in visibility is huge.
Attached Thumbnails
mirror 1.jpg   mirror 2.jpg  
loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:57 PM   #9

I got a set of tow mirrors from Ray and didn’t have any issues installing them on my 2001. Ray did mention that I may have a bigger drivers side blind spot, but for me, it hasn’t been an issue. That may be due to me being taller and sitting up higher. I really like the convex mirrors better than the stock mirrors too.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:03 AM   #10

Yeah, I think I might have said that badly. I should have said the improvement was huge. I could only see about half of the old mirror, now I can see the whole thing.
loper is offline   Reply With Quote