Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2019, 01:08 PM   #1

2004 Ford E350 6.0 PSD

I have a clean extended Club wagon that can seat up to 15 passengers.
This is the Club Wagon extended XLT package. Power windows and power locks. Sliding cargo door that actually works!

It's registered in California as a Motorized Home saving exobient DMV fees!

I averaged 17.5 mpg for the past 45,000 miles driving mixed city, freeway, and camping miles.

In the past 3 years I have replaced the following:
  • Bullet Proof Diesel EGR cooler.
  • Ford oil cooler.
  • HPOP.
  • Blue spring upgrade
  • Upgraded 2008 transmission pan and filter.
  • Complete transmission flush including torque converter.
  • 140 amp Bosch alternator.
  • Serpentine belt.
  • CAC boots.
  • Rebuilt turbo.
  • All aluminum Performance brand radiator (same radiator used by BPD for F-series trucks.)
  • Stand pipes.
  • Glow plugs and passenger side glow plug harness.
  • Ball Joints.
  • Bilstein shocks.
  • Rebuilt instrument cluster with LED lights.
  • Rebuilt FICM.
  • 2 brand new Interstate batteries.
  • Brake pads all around.
  • 2 front rotors and wheel bearings.
  • Replaced front AC lines and condenser.
  • AC blows ice cold in front and rear.
  • IPR full flow coolant filter.
  • Full tank of DIESEL FUEL.
  • New fuel filters.
  • Fresh Mobil Delvac full synthetic oil change and Ford OEM filter.

I connected to Ford's auxiliary trailer battery charging circuit making dual battery charging easy.

There are probably more parts that were replaced when the Ford Mastertech did the bulletproofing. I spent over $3500 in parts and labor for the Bullet Proofing.

I upgraded and replaced as if I was going to keep this van another 20 years.

Rear seats are immaculate. Front seats are worn and covered.

Oil changed every 5k miles with synthetic.. The van was previously used as an Airport shuttle van in an affluent coastal community and was meticulously maintained. You would never know that it has 822,000 miles. That is not a typo. I was not able to get maintenance records as I took over ownership from a non-profit that could not find the maintenance records.

The 5-speed transmission shifts crisp and smooth.

I have put on 45,000 miles in 3 years. Recently, I noticed a "chirping" sound from the engine compartment. At first, I thought it was related to the drive belt system. I pulled the serpentine belt and the noise is present.

I posted the sound on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum and get several opinions. The sound is not common, however, most believe it's a failing lifter. While the part is not cheap, pulling out the engine to replace the part could be expensive. $2000 is probably the minimum. It's unknown how many miles are on the engine. It's not a rebuilt engine. It could be a used replacement.

If I used this van for trips around the Bay Area, I would keep it until it died. It's been making the noise for 12,000 miles and has not got louder. We take this van on cross country trips. It's been to Alaska and back. Twice to Tennessee and Minnesota. It's never let us down with the exception of a cracked Ford plastic radiator that was replaced 2 years ago.

This van is a great candidate for a used engine install.

Even with 822,000 miles, we were not hesitant to drive it cross country until we learned that the chirping sound was not related to the belt drive. If you plan on driving further than local trips, I recommend engine replacement.

Solar panels and roof racks not included for any price as they are moving to next van.

It's missing front hub cap.

I will let it go for $2500 to anyone on the SMB. It's driveable. I have heard numerous stories of people having the same chirp go for another 50k miles. However, with the 6.0 PSD as many knows, there are numerous failure points that most live with.

With 2 kids and a wife, it's time for me to move on from my diesel project van. I track all expenses on the Road Trip App and I have spent $12,000 on maintenance and upgrades. Funny how our toys are money pits! Just saying...

coolfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfeet View Post
...You would never know that it has 822,000 miles...

Herb
Old 04-01-2019, 06:03 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post

Herb
I'm in on that

...If i can get half that i'd be happy!
Old 04-01-2019, 06:06 PM   #4

That's a very fun deal and a lot of upside for the buyer. I'd be tempted if you were closer and I had fewer toys!
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
I'm in on that

...If i can get half that i'd be happy!
Not as uncommon as you might think...SuperShuttle gets 800,000 HARD miles (mostly stop and go all day) out of E Vans before retiring them. These things are REAL Super Duty!

I'd love to see an 800,000 mile Transit van or Sprinter...
Poptopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:14 PM   #6

I had the noise diagnosed as a leak coming from the exhaust manifold. The part cost approximately $200. The leak and sound is so minor that the mechanic suggested leaving it alone unless it gets worse.

I need to update or cancel this ad. The van now has a clean bill of health as the leak is not catastrophic.
coolfeet is offline   Reply With Quote