Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2020, 05:53 PM   #1

2004 Ford Sportsmobile 4x4 with electric penthouse and new v10 w/ warranty for sale

Sadly, selling my 2004 Ford e350 4x4 RB50 build with electric penthouse/poptop, leather interior, aluminess goodies, solar, propane furnace, shower with hot water heater, sink, microwave, and more. see craigslist add.

Here is a link to my craigslist add.

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...063663114.html

Link to google photo album for more pics:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6Ag6NN2SPSihHycj7

2004 Ford Econoline e350 Super Duty Sportsmobile 4x4 with poptop.
This is the RB50 (regular body) conversion. 50 is Sportsmobile's classic (or most popular) interior setup. (Google sportsmobile ford van and look for videos on youtube including Dirt Everyday and you will see this is the interior layout they still use today. You will also get an overview of the 4x4 system as the 4x4 system was designed by SMB and still used in conversions today).

V10 gas engine only has 2000 miles. Engine is quiet, which is nice when traveling.
The rest of the van only has 83,000 original miles.
Engine has a new Ford v10 that was installed in August 2019. It has a nationwide transferable 3 year warranty which started running in August 2019. The warranty is unlimited miles for the 3 years. The original V10 threw a rod when we were driving back from a vacation in California to Denver. The mechanics said it was a complete fluke. I bought the van in March of 2019 and had a pre-purchase inspection. The van was given a clean bill of health. I then replaced the fluids and the front drive shaft.

Body of van is in great shape.
Interior of van is in great shape (leather interior. I have seat covers on which will not come with van).
The van has some surface rush underneath from all the mag chloride they spread on the roads in Colorado. However, it is just surface rust. I have not had any problems with removing bolts or anything - neither has any of the mechanics that have working on it. Rust is not structural, just surface.

Since I bought it I put brand new BFG Ko2 tires. Currently less than 3000 miles on the tires. I also added Agile tuned Fox shocks both front and back. Agile knows these vans well and is why I went with their tune. I also added 160 watt Overland Solar system (Installed July 2019). New house batteries installed spring 2019 - they are fantastic - 2 6 volts wired in a parallel to make one 12v deep cycle. If you research it, you will know this is the way to go.

When we purchased the van the roof had some cracks and was leaking inside. Thus, we removed the headliner and insulation. We glued and repaired the cracks in the fiberglass top and raptor lined it. Raptor lining is what Sportsmobile does to new tops today. In 2004 they came with a glazed top. We then installed new insulation and new headliner and LED ceiling lights. As a result of the leaking the tent canvas has some stains. We tried to clean it the best we can and it isn't all that noticeable. Other than that the canvas is in good shape.

Van has the 2004 "photography" package. I have the original binder which has the Photographers Brochure with it. Basically, it allows the windows in the upstairs to unzip completely so you can take pictures out of the van as if on a safari. It also has a lockable cabinet which you can see to the left of the sink. The purpose of that was to store photography gear.

We are the third owner of the van. The original owner ordered the van from Sportsmobile so the Ford van was shipped directly to Sportsmobile and converted to a SMB. Thus, the van has always been a sportsmobile. The original owner only put about 2500 miles on it. The second owner put the next 72K miles before selling to us. He spent most of the time driving it from California to Colorado, Iowa and Wyoming. It spent most of its life in California and some in Colorado. The prior owner told a story that he hit a female moose with the van driving back from Colorado and it dented the front pumper, cracked the driver side light. He replaced bumper and had light repaired. It did no other damage. He drove back from Wyoming. That is the only incident I'm aware of with the van.

Van details:
1. New Tires BFG Ko2 AT
2. New Fox Shocks (front and back) tuned for the van by Agile.
3. New Overland Solar - 160 watt.
4. Sink
5. Microwave
6. Refrigerator
7. Propane furnace
8. Rear shower with water heater.
9. Rear A/C unit but is the type that only runs when the van is running. Not an a/c to use when plugged in.
10. Portable butane stove (this was original to the van and will come with the van).
11. Porta Potti with leather cover so it can be used as a seat.
12. Inverter for outlets.
13. Navigation system.
14. Alarm - I have not used this but the owners binder contains instructions.
15. Radar detector.
16. Electric poptop (this is nice especially when you have a broken arm, you don't have to manually lift - also nice when you have a luggage box up top).
17. Front swivel seat.
18. Seat belts for 5. This is often asked - two captain chairs and three seatbelts for the goucho/bench in the back.

Other details:
1. Atlas II Tranfer case - has the twin sticks. Awesome 4x4 system.
2. Solid axle - Dana 60.
3. Aluminess front and rear bumper. Front bumper has a Warn heavy duty winch. Note: the Aluminess box shown in the pictures will not come with the van. However, the Aluminess trey will come with the van. We installed the box and will keep.
4. Roof rack tracks and bars. These will go with the van. I extended the tracks so the solar could be installed in the front and a luggage box in the back so it wouldn't cover the solar. The luggage box is not included with the van.

Asking $64,900.00, which is great with the new V10 engine that comes with a warranty. We are taking a big hit on this considering all we've put into it - new tires, shocks, solar, engine, house batteries, etc. Our loss is your gain.

This van really has all the bells and whistles. All camper features work as far as we know. We've tried everything, except we have not used the hot water heater for the shower. We know the shower works, but we haven't used the hot water heater. We know the gas will go on but have not tried to heat up the shower water. Water systems are winterized right now. The furnace works great. We take the van skiing/snowboarding, crank on the furnace as we get ready and the van gets toasty. The microwave, refrigerator and sink all work, as well. Microwave needs to be plugged into shore power, generator power, etc, to run, I believe, otherwise it pulls too much juice. That is common to all Sportsmobiles.

I have the original owners binder that provides instructions on how to work everything above and lists out all the 4x4 parts when the van was converted by Sportsmobile to a 4x4. I also have records from prior owner and myself. I also have the original build sheet for the van. The original leather pillows and table that stores under the goucho are also still there (this is rare from our experience - usually some of these things are missing).

Again, brand new Ford V10 installed by Ford dealership in Denver, Colorado. Plenty of power to go up over the passes in Colorado. You will note that the rear of the poptop appears it does not go up as high as the front. This is correct. As is common with a lot of the electric poptops, the rear hook got caught when the top was being raised and bent the rear bars slightly. As a result, the top doesn't go up all the way. However, there is no performance issue with this. Still tons of head room. If you read Sportsmobile Forum you will find this is pretty common. There are ways to fix this and Sportsmobile West has a jig that they can straighten the bars if it bugs you. It hasn't bugged us.

The van isn't perfect as it is 16 years old, but it is in really good condition. We've loved the van. We are a family of 4 and have taken it on several weekend trips and one big trip to California. Family of 4 and 100 lb golden retriever fit in the van easily. Plenty of room. We are only selling as priorities have changed and two of my family members don't join my son and I on our adventures so really more than we need. We are still using - even winter snowboard camping. So miles are going up, but not significantly. We will keep until we sell or if we don't get the price we want, we will keep. We are taking a huge hit on the van at the price given all the work we've put into it, including the new engine.

Here are a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0275.jpg   DSC_0278.jpg   DSC_0279.jpg   DSC_0297.jpg   DSC_0316.jpg  

DSC_0327.jpg  

Dbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:11 PM   #2

Straightened the back bars on the SMB. Will post new pics soon, but here is one. Reminder this is an electric top. The bars in the back being lower have nothing to do with the luggage box.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200208_163825_HDR.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	31651
Old 02-16-2020, 01:19 PM   #3

Added some new photos to the google album. This really is a nice van. My son and I drove up the mountains yesterday from Denver to go snowboarding and I was thinking it really is a bummer to sell. We've put so much work into it to get it set up to handle the passes, and new tires and shocks make a world of difference. The new V10 engine runs smoothly.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:09 PM   #4

Spring must be in the air as starting to see interest pick up. This is a fantastic van. We went up to the mountains again today to snowboard and ski. I am so impressed how it handles the switchbacks up and down and over Berthoud Pass and then coming down i-70 and in traffic. It is really a bummer to sell it but such is life. If you know anyone interested have them give me a shout. These are head turners. People all the time in the MJ Lots at Winter Park stop to ask questions about it. One former army vet set these SMB are "built better than the vehicles they gave him in the war back in the day." We will continue to use this beast until its gone. I'll then shed a few tears.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:49 PM   #5

Took the van in for some routine maintenance and the shop did a top to bottom inspection - same inspection they would do for a pre-purchase inspection. I didn't ask them to do this, but they did it. The good news (and not surprising) is that it checked out green. They recommended a brake flush/bleed, which I did. Van is running and driving nice. Taking it to the mountains for next two days. Hoping not for the last time.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:58 PM   #6

Garage
FYI - Craigs list Ad: "This posting has expired."
Old 02-26-2020, 10:03 PM   #7

Here's the updated craigslist post: https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...082726648.html
Old 02-26-2020, 10:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
FYI - Craigs list Ad: "This posting has expired."

Thanks. Posted it in a reply. The thread won't let me edit the original post.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:50 PM   #9

Greetings Dbark -- I can't tell from the pics -- is there any storage room at back door - like to set an Action Packer (Rubbermaid) or other junk ? Or does side to side sofa bed bump right to rear door ? Thanks --
Russ Gutshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:41 PM   #10

Available?

Is this still available?
Slick2Slide is offline   Reply With Quote