Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2021, 07:39 PM   #1

SOLD: 2008 RB Sportsmobile Penthouse. Quigley 4x4, 61kMiles, $60K

2008 Sportsmobile E-150 Regular Body with E-350 Suspension rear springs.
Quigley 4wd
5.4L GASOLINE engine
VIN: 1FMNE11L58DA37311
61044 miles
$60,000
Currently smogged for California. Van is located San Clemente, CA.
Email or text
dixoncj@icloud.com
Call 843-822-5710

About the van/seller.

I’m a journalist by trade and a longtimer on the SMB forum. I run a side business working with buyers to find the right van. Through the years, that’s included the buildout of two diesel Sportsmobiles and a 4wd VW Syncro camper for Jimmy Buffett. One of my clients bought this van recently in San Diego with the intention of a significant upfit. After going back and forth over it and looking at a long upfit timeframe, he simply decided he needs a bigger van for his family -- sooner. So we decided to sell this rig. We’re not looking to gouge anyone on this sale, but just to get back what we’ve put in it to this point. We vetted it thoroughly before purchase.

This is a beautiful, rust-free California van with a unique layout. It seats 7 with shoulder belts. The rear seat can be removed to give center aisle access to the galley or to create a sleeping area. It has rear air conditioning, a neat Sportsmobile rear galley and everything works VERY WELL except the TV system - which is getting dated anyway.

The van is being kept at Girard awnings in San Clemente. I'll handle communications on the sale (I'm on the east coast). The showings will be handled by Girard manager Bill Park who oversaw caretaking of Jimmy Buffett’s California Sportsmobile for years. I'm happy to provide personal references, including the Colorado buyer of Jimmy's last van. I think at least a couple of longtimers on this forum might vouch for me as well. - Thanks for taking a look!

Sportsmobile/Camper Equipment:
- Power Penthouse Roof
- All around Aluminess roof rack system
- Side ladder
- City water hookup
- Shore power hookup and power converter.
- Solar (140 watts with solar controller) - installed in 2019
- 400 watt standard power Inverter
- Norcold refrigerator.
- Auxiliary electric system powered by two 4d deep cycle batteries.
- Snaps across front window area for Sportsmobile front curtain - but no curtain.
- Rear passenger side storage cabinets.
- Sportsmobile rear galley with: Sink and 10 gallon freshwater tank. Spray nozzle on galley sink can be extended to function as an outdoor shower.
- Storage bin under rear floor accessible from inside.
- $15,000 AV system (installed in 2008). Includes Bluetooth Kenwood DNX 8120
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-NHv6GL...n-DNX8120.html
- Satellite video system -- not functional.
- Hella Tire Pressure Management system. Just installed.

Recent work
- All around new shock absorbers (April 2019)
- New tires. (April 2019)
- New brakes (April 2019)
- Keyless entry/alarm just installed by us in March, 2021 ($800 add).
- Backup camera just installed by us in March, 2021.
- Recently Checked out by Capistrano Ford (March). All that needed replacing was the dipstick.

Drivetrain, outside underside:
- Gross Vehicle Weight: 8,520
- 5.4L V8 255HP, 350lb/ft Torque
- Tires - Firestone Transforce AT, LT285/70R17 Mud and snow rated.
- 31 Gallon Gas tank.
- 17 Inch Robbie Gordon Wheels
- Ford E-150 Van, but with E-350 rear springs.
- Trojan Rear tire carrier.
- Bushwacker Fender Flares
- Aluminess rear bumper and swing out storage box.
- Dark tinted windows all the way around.

Needs:
- Rear cabinet needs some TLC.
- Satellite TV system is not functional

Comes with:
- Folder w/original instructions for components.
- Lots of invoices and receipts.
- Original SMB order form and window sticker.

Some photos below. *Many more photos of the van are at my SMB photo album at this link:*
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...lbums1514.html

*Many more photos of the van are at my SMB photo album here:*
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...lbums1514.html

dixoncj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:54 AM   #2

Looks like a good price and cool rig layout. My biggest complaint about SMB's is the limited seating.

For those newer to the van game (I'm still a rookie myself), I've been home brewing a build since January, and have def discovered it'd be tough to build a 4x4 van with pop top for under $60k if you allocate any amount of $ to your personal time. This looks like a good one, ready to go.
scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
Looks like a good price and cool rig layout. My biggest complaint about SMB's is the limited seating.

For those newer to the van game (I'm still a rookie myself), I've been home brewing a build since January, and have def discovered it'd be tough to build a 4x4 van with pop top for under $60k if you allocate any amount of $ to your personal time. This looks like a good one, ready to go.

Yup - the $$ add up real fast. When I actually looked back at the receipts for the last Westfalia I built out, I was pretty amazed. I could have bought one similarly upfitted for less. Had a lot of fun wrenching and camping with it tho. With every buildout you learn something new.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:37 AM   #4

Agreed, I loved the Westy I had and rehabbed a few years ago. I never completely finished it but did everything but paint. Specialty VW parts have gone through the roof in the last few years, meaning stuff from GoWesty, etc.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:32 PM   #5

UPDATE: Deposit taken pending financing.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post

EB27 layout has 4 captains chairs plus 2 inward facing benches. Seats 8 with a full smb interior.
Lazy_Daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:37 AM   #7

Yeah @Lazy Daves, I stand corrected, dixoncj's and EB-27 are awesome layouts that allow a lot of seating and space. Not sure I would have done anything different had I known, but definitely would have given that model a hard look.
scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:29 PM   #8

UPDATE and bump April 28.
Buyer could not arrange financing. Van is again available. Please feel free to reach out.
dixoncj@icloud.com
Cell 843-822-5710
Thx.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:34 AM   #9
bdd

From recent experience.....

For the asking prices these days, you won't be able to finance these or any other van conversion unless you get your financing portion down to 10% below cargo or passenger van price. Just a note for us lookyloos that don't have all the funds to buy them straight out. I have not financed a vehicle, this will be the first time, but its not because I don't have the cash, its because I can easily finance it now. Do it now while you can, because in a year or two, financing is gonna be way different.
bdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:36 AM   #10
bdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixoncj View Post
Yup - the $$ add up real fast. When I actually looked back at the receipts for the last Westfalia I built out, I was pretty amazed. I could have bought one similarly upfitted for less. Had a lot of fun wrenching and camping with it tho. With every buildout you learn something new.

Do you still have it?
bdd is offline   Reply With Quote