Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2019, 08:11 PM   #11
MSD

Garage
You can’t delete it. Moderators can... but why bother... it can help others.

Keep your current van, for what you are doing it’s the best platform. What costs on the 6.0 have been prohibitive? Maybe I can help since we have the same engine. Is it reliability, maintenance or fuel costs?

Everyone raves about the 7.3 over the 6.0 but I’ve found my 6.0 to cost just as much. I’ve had 2 - 7.3’s nothing has been different with my 6.0 even though I love to call it my 6.uh oh as a joke. Mostly since all the bro truck guys ruined the 6.0 rep by over tuning. Yours is a 2006 correct?

Make sure to run the arch oil additive & fuel additive this will help a lot. Are you still registered in Oregon? If so do a full EGR delete thru sinister diesel will also help at ton. This will help with power & fuel economy.

You’ve got a great platform you could spend a little extra and have an excellent platform IMHO and it’s gonna go just as long as a 7.3

On a similar not the Promaster can be speedy as well if things go sideways but since no 4x4 it’s not really revalent...

1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:36 AM   #12
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Although, one of the big issues with the Promaster IMO is how low the solid rear axle hangs down.
I think partly that's an optical illusion; if you look at the specs it's not really any lower than the diff housing on a stock E-series. Of course, it's easier to fit taller tires on the E-series if you need lots of clearance.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:29 AM   #13

MSD. Thanks so much for the info. I am basically concerned about the fuel mileage. 10 - 11 mpg. Maintenance Has been a bit of an issue. The biggest was having the egr cooler and turbo replaced in 2016. Just spent over a grand on fixing a fuel leak, coolant leak and bad glow plug. Some other smaller issues but most are in regards to the build. Backup cam not producing a signal intermittently. I do have cold start problems but I plug in when I can. I am in CO right now so when I do not have a place to plug in its a bitch to start in the morning.
Could you please go into further detail on over tuning, additives and the egr delete. So much appreciated. I live in my van and travel and would like to be more knowledgeable in diesel engine maintenance. Also what are your thoughts about data monitors?
Thanks
darkstar66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:39 AM   #14

I have decided to not purchase the pro master. Here is a link to the FB post that she posted. I really feel bad for her situation. Had it been a sprinter/ transit that could be converted to 4x4 I probably would have pulled the trigger. If anyone is interested her number is listed on her post. If you have trouble finding it let me know. Thanks so much.
https://www.facebook.com/rita.lambert.58
darkstar66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:32 PM   #15

Garage
If there was a 4x4 option for the RAM's I would be looking at them now. I don't think so.