Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2018, 07:54 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Bruce at Specialzed used to manufacturer the brackets. Don’t know if he still does, but you should reach out. SMB does not.
Rallypanam - Thanks for the direction. Sorry though, I'm not familiar with the organization you are directing me to - Can you please elaborate on "Specialized"? Could you be referring to Specialized Automotive in Modesto? (Found that and one in Santa Cruz doing a Google search). Thank you for clarifying.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Rallypanam - Thanks for the direction. Sorry though, I'm not familiar with the organization you are directing me to - Can you please elaborate on "Specialized"? Could you be referring to Specialized Automotive in Modesto? (Found that and one in Santa Cruz doing a Google search). Thank you for clarifying.
It was not super clear on the forum.. but here’s the link from earlier in the thread:

Quote:
This guy, Bruce, used to work at AMP and modifies them for vans.. not sure if he still does E series though.

Van Running Boards | Orange, CA | Specialized Applications Home Page
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:01 PM   #13

Twoxentrix, we are in the same place as you. Before we bought out van, my wife insisted on was AMP Powersteps. She is a little on the short side and she liked the way the AMP steps go a little lower that fixed running boards.

Of course I agreed, and I assumed it would be no problem. But an email to AMP confirmed that they do not make a version for the E-series.

I also contacted MG at Expovan. He has built brackets for the Powersteps. When I contacted him late last year he had put the project on the back burner and may get to it this year. I am watching to see if he gets back on it.

I will also contact SMB and see if they can provide the brackets. Maybe with enough requests they may provide them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cthayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:37 PM   #14

Garage
Count me in, wife had knee replacement and the current steps aren’t cutting it. I also have a 06 EB SMB.

Mike
ghetto fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:55 PM   #15

Since I've been mentioned couple times, I'll update y'all on where I'm at with the brackets....

The Cummins van got shelved for a little while to work on some customer projects so I didn't quite finish the bracket prototyping before the end of the year. I mounted the passenger side and it worked ok but the fit to the body wasn't as tight as I wanted it to be. Modified the brackets to make the fit a bit better and in the process discovered that making the running board fit the body perfectly meant that the brackets would cause the mechanism to bind a little. Meaning that the body and the frame are the slightest bit off from parallel and I made the brackets to work as if they were parallel. Not off by a lot mind you but "not a lot" over the 6' length of the board translates to a gap that I can't live with (1 deg over 6' translates to 1.25" gap at one end and zero on the other....not tidy IMO). So...I know what I have to do, I just haven't made new brackets.

Then there is the driver side... The same mounting locations can't be used for both sides so I need to redo the rear mount for the driver side. This will put the mount right in the middle of the cleanest space for mounting other accessories so it won't work that well for most already done up SMBs and home builds with stuff on the frame on the driver side. The two AMP mechanisms can be made to fit up front sort of close to each other and I could cut down the step a bit but I haven't even started looking into what that bracket will take to design.

Then there is the AMP parts...They're not cheap and AMP won't sell just the parts that are needed. You have to buy an expensive kit, toss aside part of it then buy new boards. Installation isn't technically difficult but to do it right would take several hours if not more. Some vans have so much stuff mounted on the frame that access to everything is a huge pain. If I had it to do over again, I'd skip these and go with a simpler design of step/slider. My wife just HAD to have them after seeing the SEMA van though.

I've had two vans come in to the shop that had the brackets from the Specialized guy. They're just 2" x 4" pieces of steel tubing with some holes drilled in them and cut at 45s on the ends. All the same issues with gaps and mounting locations apply though. You either have the room on the frame or you don't.

So after all of that, the truth is that I'll probably finish the set for the Cummins van since I have the parts already but that's probably where it will end. I think there is a better way to do this than with the AMP parts but unfortunately it's such a small market that it's not worth doing the R&D.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:18 PM   #16

MG, thanks for the update. I understand the difficulties in trying to design for all the variation in vans. I hope you get it worked out on your Cummins van.

Can you share what model of Powersteps you used in your R&D? I would like to know which models work with the E-350 electronics. Or doesn't it matter?

Thanks
cthayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:24 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
Since I've been mentioned couple times, I'll update y'all on where I'm at with the brackets....

So after all of that, the truth is that I'll probably finish the set for the Cummins van since I have the parts already but that's probably where it will end. I think there is a better way to do this than with the AMP parts but unfortunately it's such a small market that it's not worth doing the R&D.
(selfishly) Disappointing for someone like me, but understand your position completely.

Quote:
It was not super clear on the forum.. but here’s the link from earlier in the thread:
Ralleypanam - THANK YOU! Will reach out in hopes they can help out

Bellpilot - Also a grateful THANK YOU for supplying the Pic's. Going to print them and revisit a couple shops in this area to see if they are able to replicate.

Its a bit of a challenge locating a "can-do" facility. Most take a quick look & tour the van, compliment the vehicle, and then dismiss themselves from tackling any job - they seem more concerned with doing some sort of damage in the process (liability).

Will also solicit if anyone else uncovers a solution (brackets or another viable manufacturer's option)- please share!
Old 01-28-2018, 03:33 PM   #18

Garage
I bought a set of wheels from Ron, he owned a 06 EB SMB, exactly like mine. He had AMP running boards but as the second owner they were already in place. I know they exist I’ll do some homework also.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
400F9570-961E-4C46-A361-BD1F83D2EC9F.jpeg   AF30D2D7-9A26-4646-B538-F28169EEA547.jpeg  
ghetto fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthayn View Post
MG, thanks for the update. I understand the difficulties in trying to design for all the variation in vans. I hope you get it worked out on your Cummins van.

Can you share what model of Powersteps you used in your R&D? I would like to know which models work with the E-350 electronics. Or doesn't it matter?

Thanks
If you're doing it like Bruce at Specialized does (and the parts that I'm using for the Cummins van)...

You need (1) 75107-01A Hummer H2 running board kit and also (2) 20-03752-79 79” running board extrusions.

electronics are simple... powers, grounds, door switch tie in.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:06 PM   #20

Yup, what MGM said, the driver's side AMP running board is a shorty made for the Hummer H2 and the passenger side is full length... I'd have to go look up what vehicle it was made for. I trust the number listed by MGM SMB built my van with a circuit breaker under the body placed about the same height as the motors so I presume it'll trip if you go through deep water and not burn out the motors. Haven't tested that theory yet.