Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2008, 07:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn2daBone
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
I certainly don't like to pay CA state sales tax, but I also can't complain since the laws are clear as day and I'm free to move if I choose.

For the quality of life and incredible recreation opportunities available here, I think it is a more than fair trade off. My views on that might change sometime in the future, but for now I'm staying put.
R
Well put R,

Dang!...that's what I like about this forum. Personal opinions that are heartfelt and compassionate about how they feel about certain things in their life...straight shooters so to speak. Obviously there are folks that will take offense to something that wasn't meant to offend but for the most part sticking to your guns and your beliefs is what keeps things "sane" in this crazy (but loveable) country we live in.

...just my opinion

I'm on several other forums that can be a mob scene, and also appreciate the high quality opinions and information exchanged here.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:22 PM   #12

Each state has it's different (oftentimes painful) tax burdens. Montana has no sales tax, which we make up for in high real estate property taxes and state income taxes.

Our RV tags and trailer license tags are dirt cheap, which we pay for in new car tags. Our county auto license offices no longer check for auto insurance. Which is why 25% of drivers have none when they ram you on Montana roads. That is made up for in sky-high auto insurance rates for those of us that actually pay for it.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:44 PM   #13

In Arizona I found out recently that moving out of state forfeits the balance on your plates. If you sell or junk in state and don't report it you're responsible for fines and fees... in other words, 3 years later someone who never registered your vehicle abandons it on the side of the road- you're on the hook for the fines.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
In Arizona I found out recently that moving out of state forfeits the balance on your plates. If you sell or junk in state and don't report it you're responsible for fines and fees... in other words, 3 years later someone who never registered your vehicle abandons it on the side of the road- you're on the hook for the fines.
In good ole' CA, when DMV gets your money, they keep it. If you pay your registration a month early and your vehicle is totaled before the registration was due - too bad. If you leave the state - too bad. If it gets stolen - too bad.

I sold a car to a friend, and he didn't register it. I kept getting parking tickets. I had turned in the paperwork to the DMV and eventually they relented, but it was a pain.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:42 AM   #15

Here in 'Gun, we don't have sales tax either. Wish we did sometimes as income and realestate taxes are pretty high (would make more sense to pass on some burden to visitors). Anyway, WA folks used to try and register in OR to avoid WA tax and licensing fees. WSP was always on the lookout for that and banged folks pretty good for it. WA eventually brought their licensing into line with OR's to avoid this or for other reasons. I had to license my SMB as a "motorhome" here in OR, so I ended up paying approx $200 for two years (cars are only around $55 for two years). I can see why people try. The downsides are, well, you're cheating for one and second, if you get caught, it will likely cost you quite a bit.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:32 PM   #16

Well, we bought our new SMB from Fresno in January and were leaving almost immediately to move to Texas. The only way we could avoid CA tax was to hire a driver from the Fresno plant to usher us to Nevada, fly him home and proceed from there. But before we could leave, we had to go back to the Bay Area to load up the van which would take a few days. It was impossible; we couldn't take the vehicle off the lot unless we had a driver or we paid CA tax. So we paid, went back to the Bay Area, loaded up and left; when we re-registered in TX, I was hoping for a refund of the $3K difference. No dice.

We didn't buy from the Austin plant since Fresno had the 07 Ford EB on the line that ran both low and ultra low diesel that I wanted for long term access to Mexico. We were hemmed in by our choices; part of me was rankled about not getting the refund, but then, I too, love the parks in California and lots of the roads that got me there for 40 years. So be it.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:47 PM   #17

California Sales tax isn't bad

To me, California Sales tax isn't bad. It's lower than the beautiful state of Washington

So it is actually pretty simple. I pay the California Sales tax to get the SMB off the lot and then I pay up the difference to the Washington DOT.

I think the state needs to get paid for the various public works somehow and we don't have income tax so I'm pretty far ahead when it is all netted out.

I like CA as well, there are just too many people. Happily, we have a big and glorious country so most of us should be able to find someplace that suits us well.

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:15 PM   #18

A couple years ago Nevada passed a new law that eliminated sales tax on used vehicles if they were purchased from the previous owner (not a dealership) whether it came from in state or out of state. We are saving $4,000 in sales tax alone on our used Sportsmobile. oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:24 PM   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to lowracer
Yet another reason to like Nevada. The first reason for me to like Nevada is when I drive up the 15 from CA and cross the border, the first billboard I see has a huge photo of a full-auto machine gun on it and verbiage directing me to an establishment in town where I can legally rent one. The billboard has to be a certain minimum distance from the CA border because it's illegal to even look at pictures of full auto weapons in this state, unless you are in the army..
Old 04-10-2008, 09:51 PM   #20

"Gee, you're honor I didn't know it was a full auto weapon- after all I'VE NEVER SEEN ONE BEFORE."