Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #1

Anyone know this coach ??

I'm in the hunt for a SMB... anyone know this coach ??

http://www.shopsummitford.com/used-Silv ... P08DA70131

And... any comments from the Sportsmobileforum braintrust are certainly welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve W
Southern California

SteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: Anyone know this coach ??

Nice looking rig with low miles. Haven't ever seen it before as far as I can tell. The front, roof mounted lightbar is pretty unique, so I think I'd remember it if I'd have seen it before.

Herb
Old 08-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #3

There are always at least a few Sportsmobiles for sale somewhere.
You may have to travel to get the one you want but that can be your first adventure with it.
For example, I went to Ohio from the San Francisco Bay area to get mine.
I saved enough on the van and the taxes to more than pay for the trip.

Here is another 2008 that is really nice and very low miles as well as less money.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9634

Its is V-10 gas and the onre you posted is diesel so it depends on what you want.
I personally have a 2008 V-10 home built van its been great and we are very happy with it.
The gas vs diesel thing is something you will need to decide.
Its a bit of a "mines better" thing around here and it really is up to you which one you want and why.

Have you checked here for a van?

http://sportsmobile.com/z-PO_all.html

Almost for sure you will want to change something to the van you get.
It maybe right away or it may be years from now.
I would look around and decide what floor plan you want as thats the hardest thing to change.
Then decide on things like Four Wheel Drive , if you find the perfect 2wd van it can always be added if you want it.
There are a few different four wheel drive systems available on Sportsmobiles as no Ford vans come with it factory installed. Some have leaf springs some have coil springs.
Do you want a pop top or a fixed roof?
Does color inside or out matter?
How many seats do you need?
How many doyou want to sleep inside?
Do you want to cook inside?
Do you want solar?
Do you need a heater?
Things like that.
Sportsmobiles are very custom built and come in very basic to really loaded models and everything in between.
Some features can be hard to add after they are built some not so hard.

There area ton of super great people and posts here so look around and ask a lot of questions before you buy.
Try the search feature first as there are many topics already covered and you can bring them back or start a new one.
Be informed and take your time, look around, drive more than one if you can.
If you pick the right van you will have many years of enjoyment with it.
Camping vans are fun...

Good luck with your search and let us know what you buy.

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
Site Team

Maybe instead of inflammatory Gas vs. Diesel threads, we need a good argument about which ceiling vent fan is best?

What do you think Jamie?

Herb
Old 08-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #5

This just came up in Dealer ads.

Seems pricey to me. 5 years and a 25% drop in value.

But, the original price seemed pricey to me. I guess that means I'm not interested.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #6

That original seemed steep to me as well. I wonder what fancy add-ons drove up the price.

Then again if you can dealer finance I might offer $80K for it...
Old 08-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #7

Thanks for you comments - and Ultrasport12 - thanks for the additional questions !!

I've been doing exactly as you suggest - lurking here, researching everything I can find, and talking with any SMB owner I bump into.

I like a light color and 4WD. The "50" plan would suit - but I also like the rear dinette plans. If my wife gets involved - it'll probably have a marine toilet and shower combo... Why is the "50" so popular?? I get that it's pretty versatile - but it seem to be the favorite by overwhelming margins. I've got no real preference for an EB or RB yet. Me, my wife, and two small dogs - maximum.

I found that ad while surfing this morning... it's interesting to me that it appeared in the dealer section here shortly afterwards... Maybe they just got it - or maybe they monitor this board - or maybe both!! I've requested the build sheet. I agree - it seems high. But it sure is nice.

To be continued.

Thanks to all for the vast collection of expertise here - it's a wonderful place.

SW
SteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #8

I haven't seen that around or in the forum. Most dealers aren't familiar with these rigs and most likely they got a screaming deal because it was probably a trade in. I bought my 2006 3 years ago from a dealer in Reno with a low ball offer and I was suprised to have them accept. Just make sure you ask tons of questions, get tons of pics, and get everything in writing if it's far away. It also helps to know what does what and have it inspected. The dealers don't know most of the systems and aren't much help in that department. My inspector found a cracked rotor, so I got all new front brakes/rotors for free since I had them put it in writing before I flew out there. With all that, it does seem pricey so work them down.
Jeff
Old 08-30-2012, 03:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Maybe instead of inflammatory Gas vs. Diesel threads, we need a good argument about which ceiling vent fan is best?

What do you think Jamie?

Herb

Well Herb I am on number three in less than two years as of a few weeks ago.
Number one was nothing great.
Number two you should know all about soon and Number three well.
Suzann is still not sure about the looks of the new one but she loves that she can sleep past sunrise now. I love that too if you know what I mean. I had to take it all apart and paint the inside of the dome/cover but its nice and dark now.

I wanted this vent when I bought number two but it was shot down because its not a conventional shape, number two is flat for that same person, number one had "too much of a dome". Someone is super fussy about what I do to her van sometimes. She does mind the huge ugly solar panel on the roof but she doesnt like the looks of the little roof vent. I did however get the "OK go ahead you can say it" permission to say "I told you so" but I am saving it for another time.

So back to number three: I like the new remote better but its not RF its IR so it doesn't work as easy or in the front of the van very well. Noise is different not more or less just different. I do like it that the fan can run without it opened but it doesnt move much air that way but I like fan noise whn I sleep. Because of the different dome style its hard to really compare them apples to apples. They make a style more like number two but the main reason we had to replace number two is so we could have a different style to not let light in. In all fairness to Suzann I didnt like the light either and she really does love the van so she can be fussy about it if she wants too. I cannot however sell her on idea of a fixed roof no matter how I try. (sorry Brent I tried)

So unless you think we need to decide about whos is really better, I am going to use something similar to what a person posted on the forum the just the other day.

Fantastic is better than MaxxAir, MaxxAir is better than Fantastic and so on.

Is this a highjack test? If so I just failed as an admin.

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:41 AM   #10

I have seen this rig first hand and have some insight into it. I tried to send Steve an email, not sure if you got it. Feel free to contact me, to much detail to write here.
colokiter is offline   Reply With Quote