Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Sportsmobile Forum > Community Forums > Member Classifieds
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2020, 01:36 PM   #11

Yep, I am by no means criticizing your post/asking price, just sharing what I've seen lately as I have randomly noticed quite a few nice Astros pop up on the various forums. Best of luck with the search!

nyyankees588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:13 AM   #12

Have you posted this on Expedition Portal? Much larger audience there. You can post in two places there. In the regular classifieds and then post a link to it in the vans section 'vans for sale' thread. It is huge and has been going for years. Lots of van folks over there.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:39 AM   #13
MSD

Garage
What 86Scotty said, post it on Expedition Portal. Honestly I do see you getting much interest for that here... GLWS.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #14

The asking price does seem inline with other PNW Astros, although I'm sure that may not reflect current pricing outside the PNW.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:57 PM   #15

Once again I've missed a business opportunity. I could grab and bring 5 of them at a time out there.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Once again I've missed a business opportunity. I could grab and bring 5 of them at a time out there.
Bring out some camper-ized 4x4 or AWD Transits or Sprinters. Demand for these has not cooled one bit. If anything, the fires might prompt even more folks to want a GTFO vehicle.

My sister wants a medium roof 130" Transit 4x4, to have a smaller getaway rig to tow behind her motorhome. They seem to sell within hours...
Old 09-10-2020, 12:01 PM   #17
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
For the PNW if you can find anything the Hipsters love you can charge 3X the going rate and they'll pay it. Anything a hipster deams cool they always pay to much
Old 09-13-2020, 11:52 AM   #18

I've seen several rust-free, well-kitted out, Astro AWD vans for sale in Colorado between 6-8K. Not sure if that's why they got yet that's what they were listed at.
DFarkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaDolittle View Post
Second owner, no rust (has always been in the West). Original engine and transmission. Only 117,594 miles!!! Silver color, navy interior.

Great camping rig! I put a bed and a fridge in the back, and went on several long trips, up and down the west coast. Very cozy and comfortable, and very stealthy. It drives like a car, looks like a work or soccer vehicle, and will go anywhere.

I got 25 MPG on the highway, fully loaded with 3/4 ton of camping gear, through mountain passes.

Famously sturdy Vortec engine has never given me a lick of trouble, and has more power than I could ever want.

Upgrades:
Custom leaf springs (for heavy cargo and about 3" lift)
Helwig sway bar
Tru-Cool trans cooler (changed the ATF, so you will never have to)
BFG TA KO LT tires (about 3000 miles on them)
Full-sized spare, plus factory donut for a 2nd spare
Hitch
Wiring for utility and travel trailers
Coil-over shocks
Custom interior switch for rear hatch

Other recent maintenance:
Flushed radiator
New brakes
New windshield

Original features:
Rear heat and AC
Cruise control
Roof rack
Power windows and door locks
Keyless entry
Overhead console with primitive computer that tells you things like moment-to-moment MPG, outside temperature, etc.

Notes:
The upgrades (springs, shocks, sway bar, LT tires) provide great stability when the van is carrying its rated load of 3/4 ton. I like rock steady handling! They mean a very stiff ride when unloaded, though. If you like softer, you could change the shocks and/or tires.

I have the original rear seats, which fold down flat, in storage and can dig them out if you want them, but I figure a buyer is most likely to want this van as an expedition rig. They are in great shape. This site has good pictures of the type of seats: https://www.morehawes.co.uk/camper-c...per-conversion

Rear and rear-side windows are tinted. I replaced the middle side windows with clear ones, more suitable for the PNW. I do have the original tinted side windows if you want them. All windows tilt to open. I used clear silicone to adhere some small magnets to the side windows, to hold privacy curtains. Easy to remove if you don't like.

imperfections:
Hood paint is showing some sun damage. Not peeling or anything but kind of orange skin looking. (I took some of these photos in dappled shade, so if you see light and dark patches in the paint, that is just the sunlight. Not a paint problem.)
7" wide dent on passenger side front corner, repaired and repainted, but not to perfection. Hard to get it to show up in a picture, but you can see it in person if you look.
Scratches on the front bumper cover are inexpertly painted. The paint matches, but is sloppy. Some tiny scratches elsewhere patched more neatly. There are probably other tiny scratches and dimples in various places, consistent with use. I have a picture of a dimple on the hood which is probably the worst one.
The hood is sometimes fiddly to open.
Travel cat clawed the carpet on the inside of the sliding door. Don't worry, he did not ever pee in the van!
1 rear shoulder belt doesn't want to unroll. Another one is frayed.
Missing the trim that goes under the steering wheel, above your knees. I had a knee injury (unrelated to the van), and had a temporary hand control installed. The installer threw out that piece of trim. (This was years ago and the hand control is no longer there.)
Missing a tiny piece of trim from the inside of the passenger door, and one of the rear AC vent covers. I suspect I have both of these in my house somewhere, and will keep looking for them.
One of the side tilt windows has tan latches instead of navy. I think they look fine.

More info as I get time. Feel free to ask questions!

Comes with original owners manual, plus a set of 1999 shop manuals I got used on eBay.

The only comps I could find in the west are a dealer near here, who has two stock AWD Astros of similar age and mileage, asking $13,000 for one and $15,000 for the other. $12000/ offer for this one.

(A note on prices: I'm open to discussion of price if you can find other AWD Astros on the west coast. The only ones I have found are listed above. RWD ones out west sell for about 8,000. And of course, east of the Rockies, where rust happens, they sell for less!)
4x4 1999 GMC safari, always a california van, 92250 miles, new transmission, 3 inch lift. Brand new 4x4 transfer case. new wheel and big tires. everything works, super cold AC. Zero rust. crazy bed liner high end paint. 3 door in the back. for sale $17,000 obo Jay 949 633 5811. runs and drives perfect
jaymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:04 PM   #20
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymac View Post
4x4 1999 GMC safari, always a california van, 92250 miles, new transmission, 3 inch lift. Brand new 4x4 transfer case. new wheel and big tires. everything works, super cold AC. Zero rust. crazy bed liner high end paint. 3 door in the back. for sale $17,000 obo Jay 949 633 5811. runs and drives perfect
Hey Jaymac - don’t hijack someone’s for sale thread it’s extremely poor form. Make your own thread... Will the moderators please remove his post.