Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2019, 05:29 AM   #11

Rent one for a week or so to see if it's really what you want. There are a few outfits on the west coast renting SMBs and one on the east coast as well. Not sure where you are located, but as has been mentioned, there is also a plethora of good van builders out there.

VanDickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:30 AM   #12

Yes by all means rent something very similar to what your interested in. Live in it, live out of it.
Remember most SMB people live outside of their van.
At the end of the day they can seem very roomy and comfortable.
Make sure to also travel to an area similar to SMB country, ie: dry camping etc.
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
Buying a SMB... Please Help!- is your tittle!
Don't is my answer!
Build your own! Or pay some vendors on here for what you want. There are a few on here that are doing BEAUTIFUL jobs with aluminum framed units and some with Bamboo. I mean real quality stuff they will be build it the way you want it for 2/3rds to 1/2 the price of the unit you are asking about but it will be new.
HEY don't listen to me just read all the post on here about them. That will be enough to scare you away.
I'd have to agree that the Sportsmobile interiors are looking rather dated. I've seen some rigs with bamboo that look very nice. Somewhere around 2/3rds the price is also appealing.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:23 PM   #14
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Well...dated? I guess if you are looking at a '90's rig early 2000 then maybe..but that IS quite a bit older and quite 'normal' in the RV world...here is a pic of our interior...gray on gray (designed built in '13) and now gray on gray is all the rage..lol...so our rig is 6 years old now and still looks modern and coooool! I don't have the skill to build my own and would look like crap if I even attempted...yea PLENTY of folks on here that built their own and they look professional...with that said, warranty from a private builder? Locations? Bonded/insured so the LP system doesn't blow up making your morning joe? How about Your location vs. where your finding sd. person? Sportsmobile are awesome and buying one or a Jayco or Winnie or whatever brand comes with significant benefits...whatever you do, the more money you trow at it the better it should be? And unless you are entertaining throwing dinner parties in your van etc...its just you and the partner...that is what makes the van the most awesome...and quaint/kitchy is just something to giggle about when your sitting in your undies having breakfast! Probably what will get you a great van for cheap (er) too...Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2208.jpg  
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:48 PM   #15
ctb

Garage
Here is a better pic...BTW, the number of people (given the opportunity) that WOULD buy a Sportsmobile FAR OUTNUMBER those that wouldn't...
Attached Thumbnails
fullsizeoutput_30e.jpg   IMG_6528.jpg  
Old 11-05-2019, 12:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
Well...dated? I guess if you are looking at a '90's rig early 2000 then maybe..but that IS quite a bit older and quite 'normal' in the RV world...here is a pic of our interior...gray on gray (designed built in '13) and now gray on gray is all the rage..lol...so our rig is 6 years old now and still looks modern and coooool! I don't have the skill to build my own and would look like crap if I even attempted...yea PLENTY of folks on here that built their own and they look professional...with that said, warranty from a private builder? Locations? Bonded/insured so the LP system doesn't blow up making your morning joe? How about Your location vs. where your finding sd. person? Sportsmobile are awesome and buying one or a Jayco or Winnie or whatever brand comes with significant benefits...whatever you do, the more money you trow at it the better it should be? And unless you are entertaining throwing dinner parties in your van etc...its just you and the partner...that is what makes the van the most awesome...and quaint/kitchy is just something to giggle about when your sitting in your undies having breakfast! Probably what will get you a great van for cheap (er) too...Good luck!
All great points! Especially about being licensed. I do think there's something to be said to the resale value of a SMB vs a builder with less history.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:24 AM   #17

dated:
As I mentioned in prior post.......SMB people live outside. The purpose of the vehicle is to get you to a place where you can enjoy the outdoors.
I have the classic 2003 interior. I just refinished the pooper door and top drawer in a bright white to the match my frig door.
I never thought of the interior as outdated........it's functional......it works for me.
Yes I enjoy my morning coffee while sitting in my Capt. chair looking out the window just waiting for the frost to melt.
Living in California 200 miles south of SMB West I do stop by for a visit to view new van's.....They have come a long way and so has the price. I would like to say that I have always had wonderful support the few times I had work done in Fresno. They stand behind their product. I would much rather have a used SMB than a built out from a unknown source. Some people have done wonders building their own. But for me I like the idea of one phone call to SMB. As I did in October with a electrical issue. Peter told me where to look and what to do. BINGO issue solved.
I don't get the concern about outdated.......it works and 90% of the time I'm inside I'm sleeping. The fresh paint, (bright white) did give the living area new life.
I think my money has to go with a SMB built van.....the one call support concept takes the stress out on my traveling in a "mature" van.
Currently all factory systems are working........as they have for 16 years and 270,000 miles.
Only serious issue with my van was the dreaded "death wobble" which has been resolved.
Currently searching for trips to take this winter season......feel free to offer ideas.....this mature body is seeking warmer weather.
I support buying SMB...just a better over all selection. Might pay a little more but think about what your getting in the long haul.
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:20 PM   #18

Ctb, a couple of good points you brought up but are not necessarily beneficial to your point. The warranty on SMB service, as mentioned in many post on this forum site are mentioned enough for me to steer clear of SMB. For many reasons, price, down time, any variance from floor plan adds immediate down time and price increase. An LP system can go wrong with any installation, whether you do it or a vendor on this site. Vendors on here have sufficient experience in these type of installations, so that is not really a valid argument. Another no argument is that the grey or white interior on the SMB is dated, it has been used since the beginning of SMB aside from some early paneling models. Although some folks prefer architect of Mid-Century Modern vs Colonial, vs Spanish vs Mediterranean all these types of architect can still be dated, depending on when it was built/designed. We have all seen the Avocado green or Coffee brown appliances in Modern dated homes like the Brady Bunch house, that is all fine but do not let it be said it is not dated! Lastly you stated " the more money you throw at it the better" I find this to be the complete opposite of what it is we are trying to do on this Forum, I thought it was to save people money and build or have units built by reasonable forum supporting vendors at a reasonable and sustainable financial level by giving the forum the most information possible, not just throwing money at it!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #19
ctb

Garage
Oh Vanimal, the whole point is if you can get somebody(I don't buy the LP argument b/c the SMB peeps have lots more $ to get if your estate had to sue lolol), get them, but think about those points if not, get a SMB (or Winne, or Jayco...) b/c there are LOTS out there to purchase for the masses...and more money doesn't make things better? I sd it tongue in cheek, b/c he was asking about a new front clip to look updated, new interiors etc...BUTin reality, money DEFINITELY makes things better right?...better quality parts, accessories, builders and the like so you know...and as I pointed out, me and probably many others DO NOT have the skill to make the wonderful improvements, designs, etc that you are so good at...welll you and Wonderboy, ArticT, Pschitt, Gramps, DAVEB (THE Godfather) on and on...so the SMB product (or Winnie, CO Campr or any other mfgs.) are the BEST options for folks like us...In fact I BET if you were offering up your build talents to the dear boy he would jump on it! LOL!!! And BTW, have you been watching the Brady Makeover!?! All the same colors, patterns etc...LOVE IT!!! It has been such a great series for HGTV!!! I digress...Plenty of members too have benefitted from the savings dated interiors/rigs that they got and enjoyed... fact that I pointed out saving money for the "dated" interior that will only be noticed by the owner and save a large amount of money (probably) while still getting a great rig was a benefit point for those with even less money to spend but want a great Rig...and that IS what we as Forum members are doing right? Making SURE we are trying to help other members with our opinions and experiences....are you still mad I told your friend VocalVirgo to give it a rest? Or are you mad that I said that most people would STILL buy a SMB if they had the chance?B/C when you write that you are against such a purchase (an SMB) it makes me wonder, maybe even the majority of us on here who actually own a SMB, when you state that t i think that I like mine why would he suggest something other with such frustration/maybe even anger?...see what I am saying Vanimal? Its like walking into the Bears locker room stating that you think everyone should be a Packer fan...Either way Vanimal, I agree and was only trying to help the dear man get over having to think they have the newest bestest van to have a good time...still buying a SMB too if I had the chance to do it all over again...thanks for your input/reviews of my post (though) Vanimal, I am always trying to improve my communication here!!
PS Thanks Herb got my can of Plasplex in the mail! My windows look 100% better!
Old 11-10-2019, 07:35 PM   #20

@vanimal and @ctb

Paragraph breaks

Make things

So much

Easier to read!

[emoji41][emoji3]
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote