Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2017, 07:43 PM   #1

Can you help me determine value of my Sportsmobile?

Hello, I hope I am posting in the right place. I purchased my 1994 Sportsmobile in 2005.

Circumstances made it so I haven't used it very much at all. It has only 60,000 miles on it. It has sat in my driveway for years and it has a couple of issues. It needs an alternator and new batteries. It had a leak that I tried to have fixed (twice) once locally and once directly at Sportsmobile in California. Despite that, it still has leak issues. It probably has some mold issues.

It is a Ford extended body with furnace, gaucho seats, refrigerator, solar panels, inverter, awning, pop top and gray water tanks. Frequently I have had people come right up to my door to offer me "cash" for it. Just today someone came by twice to offer me 4,000 and he doesn't care about the issues. The reason I haven't considered selling it is because I feel very uncertain about an accurate value.

We don't know the specific model # (It seems similar to a EB 41?) and I've been to the nada guide and put in a couple of different guesses; I’m getting different numbers. I'm sure some clever person could clean it up and get it running in no time. It is time to part with it and let someone enjoy it.

I just don't want to get super ripped off, so I need some help coming up with its actual worth. Can you help me either by giving me an idea or providing me with information about how to ascertain a good value?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0572.jpg   IMG_0574.jpg  

MisterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #2

Location? Which engine does it have? Interior pics would help too. Does it start and run? I would rough guess $8000 as it sits more or less if there’s no rust. If all it needs mechanically is an alternator and batteries you should just have that done as it will increase the value more than you’ll pay for repairs.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:31 PM   #3

Oops, I see Oregon plates on it. West Coast vans command a premium. Or push it down across the California state line and the value will jump another 25% :-)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:44 PM   #4

I agree with just having the batteries and alternator done and increasing your value. In fact, if you have the means, let someone (a mechanic or RV shop) go over it and give it some love. It seems like s$10k easily in my mind. Whatever it needs probably won't cost $1k. You did mention mold, however, and that could certainly be a big issue. Interior pics?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:46 PM   #5

thanks BrianW and 86Scotty--Yes, I'm in Oregon the engine is 351. It doesn't start now, but I presume it will with a battery. I will take photos inside tomorrow. Thanks for your responses.

Dave
Old 10-21-2017, 06:17 AM   #6

Wait, I just realized you are in Portland. Drop a starter battery in it or jump it off and list it for $10k. It will be gone tomorrow.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:20 AM   #7

I agree on 10k running. Clean it up best you can.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:10 AM   #8
MSD

Garage
Can you help me determine value of my Sportsmobile?

I think the worse thing possible is to let a vehicle sit, especially in Oregon.

The climate there is extremely harsh on everything...(I lived there for 18 years) & was amazed at how hard it was on things...

I left my toy hauler out for one winter and it was practically ruined. It was covered & dry-ez was left in side to deal with moisture. The amount of time & money I had to put into it to fix the issues, made me realize it had to make sure it was stored inside.

That being said, sounds like your SMB has been sitting in the elements for quite a whilel, then you'll for sure have mold issues. Not running & starting isn't great for the engine and the mystery leak isn't great for resale. With the fixes that are need I don't think it's work more that $6-8k. I think the higher estimates are to kind.

I'd hate to be the buyer of a cleaned up rig only to delve deeper to only find lurking problems. Because it's just been sitting there will be some...if not many. So that's why I think it's only worth $6-8k and the new owners should know it up front. GLWS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #9

thanks MSD. There is no question, there are plusses and minuses, positives and negatives..that is why we came here to sort it out and get an idea for how to arrive at a value. I'm pretty sure I can say that the vehicle is not beyond repair and not rotting away. I have actually done a pretty good job of maintaining it and looking after it, but I appreciate your input.

We'll take more photos soon (of interior, etc). Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:53 PM   #10

Garage
$10k running (and presuming no lingering mold or rust issues) seems like a heckuva deal!

Granted it's toward the end of the selling season, but the amount of van for the money (especially with only 60k miles on the chassis) seems great.

As already mentioned --- really hope you can post some decent interior-layout photos (and penthouse-top-up exterior photos) here asap. With a better representation of "the whole package," you'll almost certainly drum up more focused buyer interest fast, I'm sure. Even without the van running yet (but that really is critical though, to getting a no-haggle sale....)

Always nice to be in the position of selling a no-major-excuses-necessary item.....
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote