Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #11

Re: WTB newer year Chevy/GMC pop up van

Hi Gbail,

I tried to PM you, not sure if you are still looking?

We are thinking about selling our '06 Chevy Express AWD van with RB 50 type floorplan and sportmobile top. Let me know if you are interested.

frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #12

Yeah still looking.

Thx for posting, pm sent back.
gbail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:48 PM   #13

Just saw your post today. I was visiting forum because I am thinking about selling my 2006 Chevy Express window van with Sportsmobile Penthouse roof....not 100 percent sure I'm selling yet, but I have my eyes on a sprinter chassis class b+. Here's a quick description. 2006 Chevy Express 1500 window van. SMB installed penthouse manual pop top. Roughly 50,000 miles, I'm the second owner. 4.3 V6, automatic, 2wd, Silver color. Originally was a 3 row seating family van. I did my own conversion to include a queen size bed, storage below, 4 circuit 70 amp ac service, microwave, coffeemaker, tv, and more...everything built in a way that it can all be unbolted and returned to stock 9 passenger van....nothing has been cut or welded or messed up. Gets an honest 16-19mpg depending on your driving habits. I pull a motorcycle trailer with a BMW 1000cc dual sport motorcycle on it with ease. The V6 is great on the flats but is a little weak going over 6,000 to 10,000 ft mountains. You wouldn't want to pull anymore than a bike or light canoe etc. Best riding and excellent handling road van. It may be what you need as is for camp/travel ,or would be easy to convert to your own needs. This is not a 4x4 Quigley, rough and rugged type van,like many SMB guys have. Just a super pleasant machine to drive and camp in....not a hot rod or gas eater! If you have any interest at all, you can email me at uglygs@yahoo.com and I can provide pics or answer questions.....probably looking for $15,000 or so. (Charlie)
2UGLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #14

Private Email sent to poster.

Still looking.

Also eml'd Deepow about his now that it is back on the market.
But it sold already....

Anyone out there with a Chevy or GMC?
Old 05-17-2014, 12:30 AM   #15

At the awesome Expedition Portal Overland Expo outside of Flagstaff today. Lots of unbelievably cool adventure vehicles.....even a newer Red Chevy SMB.....new is too pricey for me tho.

Please keep sending me your Chevy/GMC finds guys.

And many thanks to SMB for helping sponsor and promote the Expo.

Cheers,
Bailey
Old 05-17-2014, 07:30 AM   #16

Here is a nice one: http://sportsmobile.com/preowns/249

Says contract pending but it might be worth getting in line; you know how these things go...
Taylor3633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:47 PM   #17

Thx mucho for posting.

Both I and at least one other have emailed SMB and asked them to notify us if this deal you refer to falls thru.

BTW, I had the pleasure of meeting with several of the Fresno SMB guys at the outdoor expo in Northern AZ this weekend. They are a great crew with a remarkable can-do attitude.

Every question I asked about possible design ideas for a custom, new build was met with a positive response and a willingness to try to make exactly what a customer wants in one of their vans.

If I can't find my used Chevy SMB, I may just have to place an order for the 2015 Sprinter AWD vans they are gonna be working.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:30 AM   #18

Just posted yesterday, also has AWD.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4477925725.html
Old 05-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #19

Thx, this is a sweet simple van.

I contacted the seller, seems firm on price. Need Advice, please?

What do you guys think about the price?

It's $28,000 for just a stock 1/2 T van, no interior upgrades or camping gear or rear or middle seats, does have a pop up and two screened slider rear side windows, has relatively lo miles, new wheels and tires....pop top only recently added.

BTW, this one seems like a good way to make money for some folks......buy a used simple cargo van for cheap, just put in a pop top and a couple of windows, slap some tires on it and then re-list for sale at nice markup.

This one too pricey for me, for one with nothing in it.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #20

The price does seem to me to be at the very top end of the price range. If you look at the value of the van itself and then add up the additions of the penthouse top, wheels/tires, and added windows, I think that you could barely reach the $28k asking price. I think there is definitely some room to negotiate.

On the other hand, a lot of guys look at the AWD as a feature worth paying a bit more for. The AWD is really only available in the 1/2 ton model (a few super rare 3/4 ton are out there though) and that's a trade off for the lighter frame and smaller engine. If you're not planning on a full blown and heavy interior and/or using the van as a towing vehicle then this might be a good option for you.

To me, finding a van that has all the essential wants on your list is always worth a little bit more money up front because it will mean more time out enjoying the van and less time in the garage trying to "get it ready". I'm all for tinkering, upgrading, and fixing my own van, but I think that sometimes I spend more time in the garage than I do out enjoying the van. Upgrade projects always seem like they'll be quicker and easier then they end up being. I can't help but lust after a great project with tons of potential, but sometimes I think that I lust more for a completely ready to roll, fully outfitted, and properly running Sportsmobile that already has everything on my essential list. This van seems to be ready to go and if you plan on keeping the interior simple, then this van looks pretty close to being ready to enjoy.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do!