Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2021, 05:09 AM   #11

The stock ford van brakes in a stock van never were a strong point by any means.
Spend the money and get the best brakes you can, it's your life.

Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:41 AM   #12

The difficulty you describe coming to a stop is NOT normal even for the stock brakes. Many E-series weigh in heavier than you.

Are you downshifting on the long downgrade to keep the brakes cool? Use the engine for maintaining your speed, and the brakes only to scrub off more speed.

It sounds like your pads now are glazed from overheating. I think your best bang-for-the-buck is new pads all around, and a light rotor resurfacing. Maybe even turn them since you have pulsing, but I've found that a scotchbrite pad on a drill takes the glazing off the rotors just fine.

I recommend Napa Ultra Premium pads. They're a high-temperature semi-metallic pad. I've tried other much more expensive pads, and the Napas work the best.

Once the new pads are on, it's important you do a proper brake-bedding procedure. This won't just improve stopping power, it'll greatly improve rotor life as well.
https://brakeperformance.com/bedding-in-rotors.php
Old 10-19-2021, 07:55 AM   #13

Ssbc is stainless steel brake company, you will find they have truck 8piston calipers that work with stock wheels. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1537.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	41714
vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:16 PM   #14

Carringb -- this is my 3rd SMB (2005/2014 all V10's) - but the heaviest one - Yes - I've always used the engine/tranny combo to brake in any situation (even my passenger cars) - even coming to normal stopping at STOP signs, etc. I always lightly pump the brakes for 2-3 seconds on downgrades plus eng/tranny braking. Most of these stops were at base of hills/mountains - where they placed stop lights or signs. Right now I've got very minimal pulsing - but yes - probably glazing. Will try the scotchbrite pads & drill thing - my mech garage to check the whole system this Thursday now that I'm home.

Feedback much appreciated !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:19 PM   #15

Hi shenrie -- was just ij your backyard - at the OverLand ID Rally in Ponderay -- I tried your "here" link and hit a brick wall - "can't be found" - missing a "link.?"
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:18 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
Ssbc is stainless steel brake company, you will find they have truck 8piston calipers that work with stock wheels. Attachment 41714
This pic makes me a bit frustrated with SSBC. I tried like heck to get them to work with me on my brake calipers. They told me in no uncertain terms they have nothing for me even after I saw and showed them U-Joint's setup. Should've bought them anyway and figured it out (that they are bolt on). Mine are all good now with the 08 calipers and hydro boost but these are so sick and 4 pots would be nice. Good work!
Old 10-19-2021, 08:19 PM   #17

Garage
Sorry, try this direct link:

https://www.ujointoffroad.com/produc...e-upgrade-drw/

Takes you to one of ujoints pages that mentions the ssbc setup. No idea if they sell the kit separately or not.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 10:01 AM   #18

I have basically the same van and did a brake swap this year. The difference has been amazing. My van is a 2002 Quigley E350 V10 RB with the GM based Dana 60 front axle. I swapped to 2010+ Dodge Ram 14" rotors and calipers. Everything else is the stock Ford brake system. I didn't know the van had functional ABS until this swap. I was nervous doing a panic stop test above 60mph. I wasn't sure what else would break with that size vehicle...

Brackets: https://torqmotorsports.com/product/...rake-brackets/

No affiliation. Customer service was lacking. Delivery was slow. Fit was eh. I had to do a little grinder modification to fit.

Everything else I got from Rockauto or the local suppliers. I want to say all in, the cost was something like $650 plus new wheels and tires.
theshwed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 10:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
Just returned from the first overland trip after buying a nice used 2002 E350 SMB - V10 - Quigley. I had an Agile Rip Kit installed before the trip knowing that suspension issues most likely would present - but other than that - the front end suspension was original to the build.

It's obvious that the braking system is undersized for this van - weighing in at around 10,000 pound - braking downhill coming out of the mountains was challenging.

So I'm looking for suggestions and real life experiences from E350 owners who know what it would take to upgrade the brakes overall (front and rear) without having to re-engineer the entire front end. Like - is it possible to upgrade to braking for an E/F450 - E/F550, without rebuilding "everything" including suspension - or would just exchanging out to heavier rotors/pads/calipers, etc., work.

Thanks for any and all posts and threads and your experiences. Thanks !
SSBC Kit... Its the Best.. And I went from Drum in the Rear and Disk in the FRont. Contact U joint and get the Kit Part numbers to order.
Attached Thumbnails
ssbc.jpg.jpg  
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:00 AM   #20

Because they do not list the Econoline. Only the F Series. But the Parts are the same.
And yes. They are Sick!
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote