Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2021, 09:24 AM   #31

cowlicks -- where/who did the Dynatrac brake upgrade for you - how recently ?

Thanks for your post --

doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 06:16 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
cowlicks -- where/who did the Dynatrac brake upgrade for you - how recently ?

Thanks for your post --
I worked with Dynatrac directly (Steve Marrone) to put together the kit then have them send it to my local shop. If you're local to western WA, I went to Auburn Car Repair and Offroad. They do great work. Work was completed this week.
owlicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:04 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlicks View Post
Thought I'd chime in on this:

I recently had the Dynatrac front big brake upgrade installed on my 2006 SMB. The kit includes everything from the knuckles out, including bigger rotors and calipers. It's expensive (~$3,000).

Results: I'm glad I got it, but the results aren't going to blow your mind. Pedal feel is still pretty soft. Stopping power is significantly improved, but feels more like the van probably should have felt in the first place. Don't get me wrong, it is much more fun to drive now. But I think to make a truly mindblowing impact, it needs the better pedal feel that you can only get out of a hydroboost conversion, so that is next on my list of planned upgrades.

I felt the same until I got the Hawk pads to bed in. But it's not mind-blowing until you really need it like dropping down a long off-road ledgy descent. Stainless brake lines might help. Good idea to replace the brake lines anyway on an aging E350.

If you don't mind my asking I'm curious how much the shop that did the install charged for labor?
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:34 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
I felt the same until I got the Hawk pads to bed in. But it's not mind-blowing until you really need it like dropping down a long off-road ledgy descent. Stainless brake lines might help. Good idea to replace the brake lines anyway on an aging E350.

If you don't mind my asking I'm curious how much the shop that did the install charged for labor?
Yep! Ended up replacing the brake lines on mine too. Looks like it was $1,160 on the install labor for the Dynatrac kit which included new steering knuckles, spindles, pads, rotors, calipers, replaced wheel bearings, inner grease seals, replaced brake lines.
owlicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:53 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlicks View Post
Yep! Ended up replacing the brake lines on mine too. Looks like it was $1,160 on the install labor for the Dynatrac kit which included new steering knuckles, spindles, pads, rotors, calipers, replaced wheel bearings, inner grease seals, replaced brake lines.
That seems like a pretty good deal. Bleeding and replacing pads and an alignment will run $500 much less rebuilding the entire front end.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote