Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2016, 07:56 AM   #31

[QUOTE=86Scotty;182832]
I think to actually be able to afford an Earthroamer and then to be willing to take it to the places you would want to try to take it would define a really reckless individual. Ironically, to me, most people with that amount of money didn't get there by being reckless. It's a mystery./QUOTE]

If one of Trump's kids were going on safari to shoot some endangered animals, that's the kind of vehicle they would take..
(sorry to bump an old thread, but I was researching and came across this)

Pretty much everyone will step on their 'willy' once in a while.
I usually make it a point to stop and put on my golf shoes first..
E-rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:06 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
Your vehicles are older. For the last several years all pickup trucks have the air bag controller mounted atop the drive shaft hump between the front seats and by law must have the controller covered. It is not possible to order any modern pickup truck with the center console or center seat missing. Provan will remove that console and replace it with a smaller console, but it is still very difficult to clamber over the thing. I removed the console completely on my Bengal and replaced it with a steel baking pan. I don't know how old you are, but we are in our 60s. It was very very difficult for my wife to maneuver around and move between the cab and cabin. You also have to step up from the cab to cabin. I have been in older crew cabs with no console and did find it much easier to walk the transitional space. In currently new vehicles, it is extremely difficult to do. Almost all buyers of new Tigers, ERs, GEVs get out of the vehicle and reenter through the other door.

Also, modern seat configurations do not accommodate seat swivels. Mark Guild spent tons of money and time trying to make that work. He finally gave up and refuses to consider further effort. No swivels available on the market today will bolt onto modern pickup seats. Even if they did, there is no room for the modern seats to swivel due to obstructions. I looked very carefully at all the makes. I know people used to be able to do it and have seen swivels on older models. It simply cannot be done on today's models.

As far as floating axles, the axles that come with these vehicles are stock. Sure, all axles float some, but you would have to take the stock axles off and replace them. You can't get the high floats from Provan.

Hmm I haven't heard anything about the air bag controller mounted on the hump any info on that? Also I think he was talking about ton axle with is full floating axle when he was referring to full floater.
polishadam82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:38 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishadam82 View Post
Hmm I haven't heard anything about the air bag controller mounted on the hump any info on that?
ALL domestic pickups have been that way for the last 5 years or so, maybe longer. If you go to any dealer and ask them if they'll remove the console they will explain it to you. See attached pic below from my previous Tiger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishadam82 View Post
Also I think he was talking about ton axle with is full floating axle when he was referring to full floater.
I understand what he meant about the axles but nevertheless, they are stock, and have nowhere near the articulation of the Dynatrac Pro-Roc 60 front axle and Dana 60 rear axle that SMB puts on the Econoline. SMB also does extensive upgrades of the suspension, linkage, brake systems, etc. I know from first hand discussions with Mark Gould, owner of Provan, that he will not even consider doing ANY of those kind of upgrades on a Tiger. I asked him if he would consider any of them and his verbatim reply was, Absolutely not.
Attached Thumbnails
Tiger Air Bag Controller.jpg  
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:44 PM   #34

Dana 60 is a "one ton" axle with comes stock on all E350s in the back it's nothing special about it as for the front if you not going to be doing hardcore offroading spending money on dynatrac is pissing $ away regular dana 50 or older dana 60 is plenty strong
Old 12-26-2016, 07:45 PM   #35

Quote:
Your vehicles are older. For the last several years all pickup trucks have the air bag controller mounted atop the drive shaft hump between the front seats and by law must have the controller covered. It is not possible to order any modern pickup truck with the center console or center seat missing. Provan will remove that console and replace it with a smaller console, but it is still very difficult to clamber over the thing. I removed the console completely on my Bengal and replaced it with a steel baking pan. I don't know how old you are, but we are in our 60s. It was very very difficult for my wife to maneuver around and move between the cab and cabin. You also have to step up from the cab to cabin. I have been in older crew cabs with no console and did find it much easier to walk the transitional space. In currently new vehicles, it is extremely difficult to do. Almost all buyers of new Tigers, ERs, GEVs get out of the vehicle and reenter through the other door.

Also, modern seat configurations do not accommodate seat swivels. Mark Guild spent tons of money and time trying to make that work. He finally gave up and refuses to consider further effort. No swivels available on the market today will bolt onto modern pickup seats. Even if they did, there is no room for the modern seats to swivel due to obstructions. I looked very carefully at all the makes. I know people used to be able to do it and have seen swivels on older models. It simply cannot be done on today's models.

As far as floating axles, the axles that come with these vehicles are stock. Sure, all axles float some, but you would have to take the stock axles off and replace them. You can't get the high floats from Provan.
Quote:
ALL domestic pickups have been that way for the last 5 years or so, maybe longer. If you go to any dealer and ask them if they'll remove the console they will explain it to you. See attached pic below from my previous Tiger.

I understand what he meant about the axles but nevertheless, they are stock, and have nowhere near the articulation of the Dynatrac Pro-Roc 60 front axle and Dana 60 rear axle that SMB puts on the Econoline. SMB also does extensive upgrades of the suspension, linkage, brake systems, etc. I know from first hand discussions with Mark Gould, owner of Provan, that he will not even consider doing ANY of those kind of upgrades on a Tiger. I asked him if he would consider any of them and his verbatim reply was, Absolutely not.

Looks like this can be pretty easily moved to the side of a hump or you can build a step that covers the top
Old 12-26-2016, 07:55 PM   #36

As you can see in the YouTube, there is no room to swivel pickup seats. This is true on all current models. By law, you cannot relocate the airbag controller nor leave it uncovered.

air bag module - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

It IS legal to cover it with something smaller than the console. I covered mine with a steel baking pan. Even with the console gone, it still is not possible to put swivels on pickup seats any more. Mark Guild spent a small fortune unsuccessfully trying. I tried aftermarket manufacturers myself and could not find anything that would work. Even if you could get a swivel on, there simply is no room to rotate in modern pickups. I know it was done in the past. I have seen plenty of those. Things have changed.

Re axles, I used to own a Tiger. A Tiger cannot do this:
Attached Thumbnails
016.jpg  
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:23 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Hello does anyone on here have experience using both the earth roamer and SMB? Obviously quite a stark price difference but putting price aside what was the experience like? If money wasn't a concern would you opt for the Earth Roamer?

Had an SMB, currently own a Roadtrek, and now looking at an Earthroamer.
blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:45 PM   #38

I owned a SMB and have toured the Earthroamer factory as well to see what all the hype was about. The newer Earthroamers have much bigger and better tires so I doubt they would get stuck in the muddy grass as the earlier versions did outlined in the post. Exceptional built quality on the interior compared to the SMB. It would completely depend on where you’d use it whether it was worth it. Here in CO, the width and height would severely limit your enjoyment of the backcountry. More open areas the ER would be awesome. Full bath, more room, more comfort, more capacity...and of course a ton more money.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:11 AM   #39

I feel like a sportsmobile and a Tiger motorhome are more comparable then a Earthroamer.
Lazy_Daves is offline   Reply With Quote