Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2017, 06:53 AM   #11

I'd definitely go with aluminum. I have a project I'm doing this with, replacing a rear window with aluminum. I Googled that most glass is 3-5mm thick so I called the metal place and a 24x56 piece of 6006 3/16" aluminum sheet is around $100-125. My plan is to shoot it with black Raptor Liner. Let us know what you come up with.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirehead View Post
Is there any reason you chose to do this in steel instead of aluminum?
Cheaper (not sure how much) and not sure how strong aluminum bolts/all-thread? would hold to it with all the clamping force and external weight
Old 04-17-2017, 11:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
Another question or two.
Will these be utilizing the stock glass mounting hardware and method?
Can a hatch type thing be installed some how? (say stove vent etc)
there will be 12 5/16th bolts along the inside perimeter about 2" from the edge. I plan to make some quick square plates. It will not use the same method as the existing glass mounts. I am expecting this to be very strong.

I want to reiterate, I am not looking to make this into a product. I am just doing this for myself and recoup a little of the fab cost since a second set doesn't cost that much more to make.

I should have them back this week
Old 04-17-2017, 11:58 AM   #14

Just sent you a PM on the subject...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
surf92lb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:09 PM   #15

dave does some amazing work.... you could either take inspiration or get in touch. We very very briefly chatted about an econoline window... and i'm sure if he had enough interest he'd love to do econoline stuff.

V.O.W. Passenger's Side — VANAGONLIFE

I've been thinking about this for the drivers side of my passenger window rig. The long window behind the drivers seat is totally useless as a window as its covered by cupboards on the inside, but other rear windows could be great options for something like this.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by luked View Post
I am having a set of these made up to replace the 2 back glass windows on my van. There is enough on the steel sheet for a second set. (picture is of the templates I dropped off at fabricator today, back side has bolt locations)

Made from 10 gauge steel. On the large panel there will be (12) Grade 8 - 1" - 5/16th bolts welded to the back around the perimeter about 2" in from the edge. The small panel will have 6 bolts around the perimeter.

Looking for about $250 for the set, you paint or powder coat as desired.

Obviously pickup only around the San Luis Obispo area, I am in Atascadero
Would love to get the other set, but I"m not local...

By chance would you sell the drawing with dimensions, bet a few might be interested?
2001chromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I can think of a few other reasons those would be beneficial when taking a van off the beaten path.

^ Was that from impact, body roll or something else?
2001chromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:42 PM   #18

Juniper punched through while leaned over on an offcamber uphill left turn on an ATV width trail... my 6 year old screaming "Dad! The window's breaking!" As soon as we crested the climb, I got the kids and their carseats out and started honking my horn for my buddy to come back so the kids could ride home with him. The 2 layers of tint held it together long enough to get to the main road, where we pushed it out in 1(ish) piece, rolled it up and stuffed it in a 5 gallon bucket that was laying nearby at the roadside. We threw the bucketin the back with my son's dirtbike and I seriously wore his goggles for the 60 mile drive home just in case glass shrapnel became airborn!

The irony is that I've always been worried about a handlebar breaking that window from the inside, I never gave much thought to a branch coming in from the outside. Nobody was hurt, we all got home just fine, and I had the money to replace the window, so all in all it was a good day in the forest and now we've got a funny story to tell.

...but yes, I could see these steel panels being beneficial.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:59 PM   #19

Finally Back from fabrication, removed the windows, test fitted, little grinding on the corners for a perfect fit, off to the powder coat tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails
2017-05-08 17.37.17.jpg  
Old 05-08-2017, 09:23 PM   #20
MSD

Garage
Looks awesome Luke!!
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote