Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 12:17 PM   #21

Re: Fair Price?

Sweet van! Looking forward to seeing what you do for the interior build out.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:51 PM   #22

RE: "In my experience 80% of the time 4X4 will only get you 20ft farther and a foot deeper stuck."

I agree. My rule of thumb has sometimes been, when you hit a place where you have to use the 4WD to keep going, that's where you ought to stop and think about turning back around....

Just sayin.....

Also, many folks new to 4wd'ing could probably benefit by taking a "how to drive in 4WD" course from a more experienced buddy, since a newby with a 4x4 rig often will find it easy to get stuck, when they should have turned around instead.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:27 PM   #23

Wow, you guys need to educate yourselves better on the 4WD rigs. Lol! Where you think about turning around and going back is where I lock in the hubs and have some real fun. You simply cannot compare 2wd to 4wd especially if the 4wd has lockers F/R. Its not even close. The nice part about 4wd is you don't have to use it if you don't need it. But if you're 2wd and needing 4wd, well, you're stuck. Literally.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuma
Wow, you guys need to educate yourselves better on the 4WD rigs. Lol! Where you think about turning around and going back is where I lock in the hubs and have some real fun. You simply cannot compare 2wd to 4wd especially if the 4wd has lockers F/R. Its not even close. The nice part about 4wd is you don't have to use it if you don't need it. But if you're 2wd and needing 4wd, well, you're stuck. Literally.

Sure you can.......especially those heavy diesel class B vans.

4WD vehicles get stuck all the time. When you get stuck in 4WD your up to the frame and your stuck......that's it no digging out your going to need a pull or a tow. You get stuck in 2WD chances are your not up to the frame and likely have a better chance of pulling yourself out with a come along or winch or shovel. You ain't shoveling out a 4WD class B van and you'd be reall lucky to get a winch to pull it out. Even then your going to be dragging two axles thru the mud or snow or whatever, which can cause quite a bit of damage.

These vans are really not ideal for wheelin especially when you go turning it into an RV. If you want to really get into wheelin you'd be better off towing a jeep behind the van because the last thing you want to do is travel a long distance and go wheelin in the same vehicle you need to get home in. That's a sure recipe for not making it home and all the "I'm broke down in MOAB" threads are proof of that horrible idea.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
These vans are really not ideal for wheelin especially when you go turning it into an RV. If you want to really get into wheelin you'd be better off towing a jeep behind the van because the last thing you want to do is travel a long distance and go wheelin in the same vehicle you need to get home in. That's a sure recipe for not making it home and all the "I'm broke down in MOAB" threads are proof of that horrible idea.
I don't know I realized a while ago I do way more crazy stuff in the van than I do in the Jeep these days, and the Jeep is built for trails. I must just be getting old...
Old 01-21-2015, 07:34 AM   #26

Well TexomaPowerboater, you drive what you want and I'll drive what I want. It's obvious we see 4wd Vans in 2 different lights. You see them as a hindrance, I see them as an opportunity. I'm going to Death Valley in a couple of weeks and plan on "wheeling" my Class B motorhome through the trails and driving it home. If I were to do it your way, I'd have to tow the Jeep, explore the trails and tow it back. The problem is towing the Jeep through the trails in DV. We don't base camp. :-)
Old 01-21-2015, 08:06 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuma
Well TexomaPowerboater, you drive what you want and I'll drive what I want. It's obvious we see 4wd Vans in 2 different lights. You see them as a hindrance, I see them as an opportunity. I'm going to Death Valley in a couple of weeks and plan on "wheeling" my Class B motorhome through the trails and driving it home. If I were to do it your way, I'd have to tow the Jeep, explore the trails and tow it back. The problem is towing the Jeep through the trails in DV. We don't base camp. :-)
I agree. I do realize that a light Jeep or wheelin' rig changes the perspective of 'fun' when you are offroad. Mostly you can just do it quicker and less carefully in my experience. I'm pretty convinced that my 10k lb. van will go anywhere I would ever want to take it, and that includes some pretty serious wheelin'. Naturally I won't risk as much in the van, but these things will go about anywhere short of the Rubicon trail. I have open diffs too and have never needed a locker. I'm sure some will say that means I don't wheel hard but it's all perspective I guess. Saying that 2wd is as good as 4 is a joke to me though. I've been driving 2wd vans in adverse weather for years and just a little ice or even wet leaves and you aren't going anywhere. 4wd lets you pop right out and carry on. I can also say that any newer van with traction control, stability control, etc. aren't much better (read Sprinter). I've had a bitch of a time with them in light mud, snow or ice. Basically they just stop because the computer senses wheel slip everywhere and can't figure it out. YMMV.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:11 PM   #28

Not a hindrance, just an poor choice for 4 wheeling especially for the money. They have their place......carrying cargo in snow packed and icy roads.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:16 PM   #29

I've slept in a jeep and it was seriously uncomfortable. Plus the beer wasn't cold. And there was no room for bacon.

Much prefer my van.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:03 PM   #30

^^ Everything is better with bacon!
Closed Thread