Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2007, 05:45 PM   #1

Family of 4 looking for Sportsmobile (found one!)

Looking for Sportsmobile with 4x4, "50", electric PH/ bed, std camping package, awning, ladder.

email: dan@fernie.com or PM

Old 06-10-2007, 10:00 PM   #2

I'm assuming you've seen SMB West's used selection?

http://www.sportsmobile.com/z-PO_calif.html
Old 06-11-2007, 08:28 AM   #3

Yes, I am reviewing that site weekly.

There have been a couple of units that I like however they are priced at $75 - $95,000. At that price I could buy a new SM that meets our needs.

We would prefer to spend less on our first SM.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:19 AM   #4

I have submitted to ordering a new SM this week.

Got tired pf waiting for the right second hand unit being available and I really don't want a 6.0 with no warranty.

Also see the low depreciation as an incentive to buy new.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:45 PM   #5

I came to the same conclusion when I kept waiting for the right used rig to come by. Sure wouldn't have ended up with the rig I have now, so I really can't think I would have been this happy with it.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 03:49 PM   #6

I went with the save 20K route and don't wait several months... when I started looking this wasn't the right rig but the more I thought about it the better it ranked. The only real downside is there wasn't a lot to compare it too- other EBs would come along but the floorplan was pushed up or they were Quigly etc. It hasn't been an exactly smooth process, but my wife is still really happy with our purchase!
Old 09-16-2007, 06:41 PM   #7

Garage
we too looked long and hard for the right used one to come by. In the end we ended up finding one that was about 95% what we were looking for and it just happened to be located just 15 miles away too boot. really the only thing we originally weren't jiving w/ was the wood grain cabinetry, everyting else was exactly what we were looking for and then a few options we weren't looking for and now we're glad we have them. After a month or so of ownership, no qualms whatsoever about not having the white cabinets - these hide the dirt better too!

All in all, process took about 3-4 months of looking and probably even longer to convince the wife (who now wholeheartedly approves by the way...)

The safe bet of course is go new, but we lucked out and saved between 35-40k. Still amazes me that they owned the van for 6 yrs or so before we bought it and barely put any miles on it...doesn't make sense. My wife needs to keep telling me its a 2nd vehicle and not for daily driving...

Cheers,

D

Old 09-16-2007, 08:56 PM   #8

My wife has bought in - the question now is how much do we spend? To date we have been campers so we're not spoiled by luxorious accessories.

Our plan is to travel the Pacific Coast with our 2 lids and kayak, scube, surf, bike and ski a bit of powder occasionally. Naturually our travels will take us over a few mountain passes not traveled by most.

A diesel EB, with basic interior "50" , an electric penthouse, propane stove and furnace, trojan bumpers, lights, ladder, thule 12' rack, extra storage, custom wheets, tire carrier, awning - am I missing anything?

Stoked to live large!!
Old 09-16-2007, 09:09 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat
My wife has bought in - the question now is how much do we spend? To date we have been campers so we're not spoiled by luxorious accessories.

Our plan is to travel the Pacific Coast with our 2 lids and kayak, scube, surf, bike and ski a bit of powder occasionally. Naturually our travels will take us over a few mountain passes not traveled by most.

A diesel EB, with basic interior "50" , an electric penthouse, propane stove and furnace, trojan bumpers, lights, ladder, thule 12' rack, extra storage, custom wheets, tire carrier, awning - am I missing anything?

Stoked to live large!!
I've only had two solar panels and the solar controller for a month and a half now, but I already see the value. with the rack you're talking about, you may need to make some compromise in one or the other if you go with solar however.

Herb
Old 09-16-2007, 09:13 PM   #10

Herb - elaborate on the value with the solar panels. How are they saving and when? What is the value - $$ or time in the wilderness?