Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2018, 10:44 AM   #1

Family of 4 looking for used Sportsmobile Camper

Greetings! I just registered here as we're looking to purchase a used Sportsmobile camper van. We're located in CA but not opposed to having it inspected and shipping it out to ourselves.

We've looked several different models and favor most the Sprinter or Transit style (not sure if you can find older Transit models). We're not opposed to others models or all the creature comforts (sink, stove, microwave, etc.) but all we really need are 4 chairs and two beds. If I could design one myself I would add the penthouse (for the kids up top), rear bench (and fold down bed) in the back (for us), and two captains chairs (for the kids) behind the primary driver and passengers seats. Both of our kids are pretty young so having them directly behind the drivers seats would be better, but not completely critical.

I'm curious if anyone has even seen this or a similar configuration? The closest I have been able to find so far is this one https://sportsmobile.com/inventory/c...54800/#mainpic

All the above said, given the demand and relative difficulty I'm having finding one of these we're of course open to a more standard stock config which would be pretty similar but with the kitchenette and no secondary row of chairs.

Of course, we're trying to find one to be ready for a road trip this summer. We just had our second child and he's ready for his first road trip. Seems like a long shot to pull something off between now and the end of June but you never know!

Look forward to hearing back and eventually (once we get one) being an active member of this community.

Cheers.

jslost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:19 AM   #2

The Econoline ended in 2014 and was replaced by the Transit starting in 2015....in the states. Other parts of the world have had transits for a long time.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslost View Post
Greetings! I just registered here as we're looking to purchase a used Sportsmobile camper van. We're located in CA but not opposed to having it inspected and shipping it out to ourselves.

We've looked several different models and favor most the Sprinter or Transit style (not sure if you can find older Transit models). We're not opposed to others models or all the creature comforts (sink, stove, microwave, etc.) but all we really need are 4 chairs and two beds. If I could design one myself I would add the penthouse (for the kids up top), rear bench (and fold down bed) in the back (for us), and two captains chairs (for the kids) behind the primary driver and passengers seats. Both of our kids are pretty young so having them directly behind the drivers seats would be better, but not completely critical.

I'm curious if anyone has even seen this or a similar configuration? The closest I have been able to find so far is this one https://sportsmobile.com/inventory/c...54800/#mainpic

All the above said, given the demand and relative difficulty I'm having finding one of these we're of course open to a more standard stock config which would be pretty similar but with the kitchenette and no secondary row of chairs.

Of course, we're trying to find one to be ready for a road trip this summer. We just had our second child and he's ready for his first road trip. Seems like a long shot to pull something off between now and the end of June but you never know!

Look forward to hearing back and eventually (once we get one) being an active member of this community.

Cheers.
What's your price range?
Beasty Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:00 PM   #4

Garage
This one's been for listed for sale in the Denver area for several months, seems to fit your interior layout description. Super cool interior layout as you're describing....(wouldn't mind one like this myself.....!)

-------------------------------------------------------

2006 Sportsmobile Ford 250 - $33900 (Highlands Ranch)

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...560264755.html

Up for sale is this 2006 Sportsmobile Ford 250, 5.4L V8. Has a 2" lift so clearance is no issue (not 4WD). Awning, new front tires, new house batteries, dual front and rear hitch for your toys. New ApplePlay receiver and speakers. Penthouse top (sleeps 4). 2 burner stove, microwave, sink, fridge, 9 gallon water tank. Everything you need to get lost!

This has been a great vehicle. Runs awesome. Clean inside and out. We've owned it just over a year and taken one trip to Canada, and 3 other Utah trips. Only reason we're selling it is we're doing different travel this year that won't require the van. Only 77,000 miles on it.

Only real issue is we suffered a flat tire on a trip from a defective tire (since replaced) and it compromised the passenger side fender. See pics.

Email if interested.

-------------------------------------------------------
Attached Thumbnails
00E0E_iljfbrlYDNj_600x450.jpg   00f0f_kB2dxQEBPKl_600x450.jpg   00T0T_b4gCtlhh9d8_600x450.jpg   00K0K_baK6TGZH3PT_600x450.jpg   00C0C_g4PQyCSSMRS_600x450.jpg  

00m0m_bN8GYQZsm0c_600x450.jpg  
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for all the quick feedback!

@boywonder, thanks for clarifying the econoline vs. transit years, that will help with our search

@Beasty Boy, our price range will vary quite a bit based on the specific vehicle. If you need more specific info please PM me and I can give you a better overview of our specific situation.

@MountainBikeRoamer, thanks for sharing the Denver listing. We hadn't looked too closely at the Econolines (yet) but its great to see a similar configuration available. I suppose we aren't the first ones with this idea . I really like how you can walk right in and out of the back of that one.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
A clean 98 EB is going to be available soon so keep a eye out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #7

Just bought a transit myself. I'm adding a two seat transit seat just behind the Driver/codriver. The couple I bought the seat from had a Mid roof (i think) transit passenger that they removed the rear few rows from and built a simple bed platform. They had a 3 year old and a small baby and said it worked fine for them. Go this route and you can have it for this summer and build it out further as time/money allows.

Personally, I want my kids facing forward in a seat with a three point seatbelt. As to the sprinter you posted, my wife would never allow the kids to be so far back. Plus, if you have a lot of driving time like we do, you want to be able to talk to them.
clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:28 PM   #8

Thanks clark. That sounds like it could work but I'm not sure how it will go sharing the bed in the back with one (or two) kids. That's the specific reason we had been targeting one with a Penthouse. You and I are on the same page on having the kids closer and that's a good idea on the seats. So maybe we just need to find a transit with the Penthouse and go from there. I suppose I could add it but likely not by this summer.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:17 PM   #9

You may get lucky, but the chance of finding a used Transit with a PH is pretty slim since they are fairly new.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslost View Post
Thanks clark. That sounds like it could work but I'm not sure how it will go sharing the bed in the back with one (or two) kids. That's the specific reason we had been targeting one with a Penthouse. You and I are on the same page on having the kids closer and that's a good idea on the seats. So maybe we just need to find a transit with the Penthouse and go from there. I suppose I could add it but likely not by this summer.
I think they slept on the platform, the 3 year old slept across the seats and the infant was in a portable crib shoehorned in somewhere.

Where are you in CA? Cardiff Campervan builds pretty much what you want, I've seen one of his vans in person, it was well done. If he can't squeeze you in I might be able to help out.

https://youtu.be/W-ayP53wez0
clark is offline   Reply With Quote