Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #21

Which is damn good for a 1999 SMB.

simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:27 PM   #22

Garage
Thanks all - $65,000

I genuinely appreciate your honesty and evaluations. It will be heard to believe, but you did bring some reality to my thinking. At the same time, I (very respectfully) disagree with you. Hopefully this is the result of a variance in focus, rather than simple greed on my part.

From what I can determine, you guys (and perhaps most of this part of the forum) are the real deal, hard core off road gang. There a many items that are crazy important to you (air lockers, compressors, winches, etc.) I’ve little or no use for any of them.

On the other hand, I have a bunch of options and modifications that I am sure bring a solid “meh” to many of you. This includes factory dual alternators and batteries, diesel block heater and furnace, perhaps the RIP kit, certainly the Voyager top and even the skylight/hatch, etc. Yet to me these are the cat’s jammies. Add in the fact that, even though it’s a 1999, it has only 77,000+ one-owner miles, perhaps the most bombproof and both powerful and fuel efficient (compared to the V10) motor ever put in a Ford truck, and with so little rust and corrosion it looks like it came out of a time capsule; all these to me are really important – and separate it from many others I have seen.

This, and your recommendations, have helped me decide on a target price of $65,000. (You don't even want to know what people around here suggested asking.)

I am aware that probably means I won’t sell the van. I can deal with that. It remains what my grandkids call “awesome”, and is more fun to drive now than it was when it was new. I’ll leave it in this list on the off chance someone looking for this sort of specific combination comes along.

Meanwhile, thank you guys again for the information. I am sure most of the people on the forum agree with you – and well they should. I, on the other hand, have firebreaks, forest trails, and reservation roads that I have to travel, snow drifts to wallow through, and a universe of stars that my dog and I want to watch. Wisconsin is cold as a polar bear’s wahoo, the average tourist will be home watching football, and we want to go up and listen to the wolf packs near Lake Superior. And we no longer have to think about the van. (I’ll try to add the price to the start of the thread before I sign out.)
boswellbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:34 PM   #23

Garage
Think its great you have such confidence & respect for your Rig, a proud owner for sure. Believe I detected remorse between the words you wrote, it sounds like you're already starting to miss it - I say continue to enjoy your Van for the memories it'll provide until the right person crosses your path.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:04 PM   #24

That seems like the perfect asking price to me! It's a great van with the highly sought after 7.3. If it doesn't sell, you can always come down in price or keep making memories!
1984 Dodge B250 Get-Away-Van camper conversion (sold)
neatvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:45 PM   #25

I know you mentioned you only wanted to post it here but you might want to consider paying Sportsmobile to post it on their official website. It costs a bit but from what I have heard it does get a lot traffic. Unless you want to mess with Craigslist I think that is your best bet to get someone who has the money to pay what you want.

No doubt your van is loaded. About the only thing it doesn't have is a generator and someone can just bring one along if they wanted to. You just might find someone who wants the 7.3 with low miles and all the accessories yours offers. There are lots of folks who want to live in vans these days and yours would be great for that. Especially for cold weather will all those comforts.

Question is your Starcool the 12/110 volt or 12 volt only where it only works while the engine is on?

I agree it sounds like you are still attached to the van. I just went through starting to sell mine and posted it on Expedition Portal and linked here but ended up taking it down for now as I was gone for the holidays and need to really decide if I want to sell it. If you have reservations keep it. I regretted selling my old van but needed a different layout for kids and love my latest van even more. These vas are hard to find well outfitted so keep it if you have reservations! You will regret selling it.
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:54 PM   #26

I personally wouldn't ask less than $55K for it. Some nice features and as mentioned missing a few.
Glws.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:40 AM   #27

Garage
I had no idea a 12vdc only Starcool even existed. This is the ac/dc version.

Oddly enough, it came outfitted with a propane generator but I took it out. They're pretty much a noisemaker in the woods, and the two alternators top off the batteries quickly enough for my use. Originally I had it built with an Incinolet toilet. I figured I would use the generator for that. The Thetford is an exponentially better solution.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #28

Garage
Aplogies in advance

I’m going to pontificate a bit. Hell, it’s my thread I can do what I want.

What we have on this forum is a somewhat schizophrenic population. There are those who want an absolutely go-anywhere vehicle, that they can also sleep in for days at a time. There are also those who want to live in a vehicle for weeks and months at a time, that goes nearly everywhere in all weather, and can actually come back when needed.

We look at the videos and images from the first group, as they bound over and around boulders the size of the Jefferson Memorial – or drop of the 1000’ cliffs around East Mungchung, Utah – and most of us just stare. For us, it’s a come-to-Jesus moment every 15 minutes. I, at least, am constantly blown away; i.e. my brain explodes. I love watching it but, even given my background, can’t imagine me doing it. (To be fair, I used to work with some guys that are probably doing crazy sh*t like that yet tody.) I suspect this crowd is by far the majority of Ford E350 vehicles. Usually the vehicle's road manners are a little barbaric, but by God, they go where they want.

On the other hand, there’s a population on here that simply wants to live someplace yet can move on whim or by necessity. Today this is the stealth camping/tiny house crowd (I think we were called “homeless” and “vagrant” back when I was doing it.). Don’t like living in Lower Jabip? Move on down the road. Need to work for a week or a month or even a year in some other town? Drive on over and find a parking space. At the same time, these folks may actually have to be able to make the move at any time in any weather; hence four-wheel drive. I’m guessing many of the Mercedes, Transit, etc. folks fall into this category.

My van is obviously something of a hybrid. First, it was built before there were a lot of viable choices. Second, when I did have to move it, I had – and still have – the deplorable habit of finding the most unlikely route in whatever area I am in. For me, the ground clearance, crawling ability, and overall “toughness” of the E350 would still be my vehicle of choice. I’ve done my best to civilize its behavior (and it is a dream to drive these days) but there’s no doubt it’s still a truck and, given the necessary additional investment, it would probably provide the rock crawlers with an acceptable vehicle.

Now for you stealth campers and tiny house people, here’s what I would change in my van to enable you to live in the Bay Area for a few years. First, there is still room on the roof to install a pretty adequate solar charging system. Change all the bulbs to LED and you’re set to go (or stay, in this case). I would also upgrade the refrigerator to a condenser version such as https://www.engelcoolers.com/sb70f.html. I will probably do that myself if it doesn’t sell. Next, assuming you might find a job in Missoula or the mountains of Colorado, I would wrap the entire plumbing system in heat tape. Remember, heat tape doesn’t care if it gets AC or DC and it's not really that pricey. It wouldn’t take much, and they even have “mittens” to go over the pump. Next, and you probably already know this, join a health club. They’ve done more to keep vagrant America clean than all the rescue missions combined. Finally, and I am only half kidding, I would get a magnetic sign to put on the side of the van. The van is black (obviously) and was designed to disappear in National Forests and reservations; it was never a good idea to be totally conspicuous in the north woods. While this is great in the woods, it scares the bejesus out of your good neighbors in an urban/suburban setting; it’s ominous. Some friends of mine call it the "Death Star". While the most natural sign would probably say SWAT or Air America (that’s perhaps a Viet Nam joke) you probably want something to say Acme Plumbing or something similar. Consider getting some orange cones to put around it when you’re parked.

OK, end of pontification. I probable talked some folks out of the van with that last paragraph, but at least they won’t be disappointed.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:00 PM   #29

I wouldn’t say we are a “schizophrenic group” as much as a “diverse” group. I have a 1998 EB SMB 2WD and have no desire really to have 4WD. My E250 has tons of clearance already and with the LSD rear I’ve never had any issues when driving logging and USFS/BLM roads and the like. I’m just sensible about what roads I go down, and my wife readily tells me when we should go no farther on the ones we do go down ;-)

“Sportsmobile” has become synonymous with a 4WD van, but my guess is that there are a lot more 2WD SMBs out there than 4WD ones. We just don’t have all the sexy off-road photos and videos to post, and our vans don’t break down that much so no long threads about Agile RIP kits and the like :-)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #30

Garage
Point taken

I tend to forget you guys since for me it's always been the 4x4 concept. It's all about the traction in snow and such.

I still stand by schizophrenic. It's primarily two ends of a single continuum.