Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2022, 01:09 PM   #1

Ford Econoline Under Frame Battery Box - $55

I have a few battery boxes for mounting a house battery under the body. These include the clips that pop into holes cutout in the frame and all bolts. Also has cover and the battery hold down.

$55 each plus shipping (or pickup)

Kendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 10:43 AM   #2

Do you have pictures?
dick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 11:05 AM   #3

Boxes

I put some up on a local craigslist ad. I have four complete sets left.

https://tucson.craigslist.org/pts/d/...455140746.html
Old 03-13-2022, 02:31 PM   #4

Any idea if it’s possible to mount two on the frame on a gas van?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 02:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Any idea if it’s possible to mount two on the frame on a gas van?
I'm toying with the idea of mounting a second box under my van, if I could figure out a way to switch a secondary jump point from 12 to 24 volts (since I sometimes need to jump a 24V aircraft). I haven't found an off the shelf switch that would let me switch two house batteries from 12 volts in parallel so they can charge from the alternator to 24 volts in series to drive a jumper cable (and be isolated from the 12 volt alternator).

There's plenty of space, as demonstrated by the diesel vans having two boxes mounted down there in parallel for 12 volts extreme starting power. However, the petrol vans only have the holes punched for clips for one battery box, meaning you'd have to drill holes for the second box and maybe not even do the rectangular slot for the clip part of the clip-in mount.

So, the summary answer is... "Yes, but not as convenient to install than if it was a diesel van".
Old 03-13-2022, 02:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendel View Post

There's plenty of space, as demonstrated by the diesel vans having two boxes mounted down there in parallel for 12 volts extreme starting power. However, the petrol vans only have the holes punched for clips for one battery box, meaning you'd have to drill holes for the second box and maybe not even do the rectangular slot for the clip part of the clip-in mount.

So, the summary answer is... "Yes, but not as convenient to install than if it was a diesel van".
I installed two boxes (with the covers) but had to move the front box forward of the standard mount location and then there is enough space behind for the second.
So ou need to drill two sets of holes and use the stock mounting clips (nuts)

This job would be difficult if it were not for one of these (or a powered right angle which cost a lot more).

WARRIOR 3/8 In. 90° Angle Drill Attachment

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-...AaAmAJEALw_wcB
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 03:11 PM   #7

Do you know if this will fit into a 1996 econoline (diesel) where the batteries are mounted in the engine compartment? Any pictures of where these mount? I'm running out of room underneath!
bisonthecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 07:45 PM   #8

Oh I wish I had my batteries in the engine compartment! The batteries underneath are a bear! Are there covers for the boxes?
ldyhseplr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonthecruiser View Post
Do you know if this will fit into a 1996 econoline (diesel) where the batteries are mounted in the engine compartment? Any pictures of where these mount? I'm running out of room underneath!

I have a '95, and I'm on my third pair of batteries, one of which is a special order. I have a major space issue, and wish I would have moved both engine bay bateries to down on the frame rails, as well as a tray for the (2) coach batteries that now reside under the goucho style bed

$55 each and super-complete (in tact lids, cables, clips and hardware) like these, is a good deal!

The CL ad has good pictures of the passenger side frame rail mounting. I also think I've seen a youtube video, it's worth a search

I took a couple boxes from a couple different E series vans at Pick-N-Pull (missing the lids, like usual).The box and clip hardware fit factory holes in the passenger frame rail, common in the three vans I looked at. Makes sense, dril every frame rail, and bolt up a box when the factory build requires it. For more than 1 box, you might have to drill holes depending on location you want to put them. The frame rails are 3/16 thick on the E350's if I recall, I recommend center punch, 1/8"-3/16" pilot drill, then desired size drill, use very sharp drills and a lot of pressure, the location has you drilling 'out of body position' with your arms over your head.
Old 03-16-2022, 03:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
For more than 1 box, you might have to drill holes depending on location you want to put them. The frame rails are 3/16 thick on the E350's if I recall, I recommend center punch, 1/8"-3/16" pilot drill, then desired size drill, use very sharp drills and a lot of pressure, the location has you drilling 'out of body position' with your arms over your head.
I would get a set of step drills, these are great for going things like this. You may want a small pilot hole to get the step drill started, but they work much better than a straight drill.

I used them on my E-350 gas Regular length van.

The step drill and the 90-degree angle attachment make this much easier.

https://www.amazon.com/Speed-Titaniu...04520634&psc=1
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote