Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2021, 03:55 PM   #1

Ford Powered Expedition-Ready '87 VW Westfalia for Sale $50K - Charleston, SC

It's not a Sportsmobile, but at least it's a Ford -- so I figured I'd post this up on the SMB forum too.

I know some of y'all because I'm the dude who oversaw the buildout on the VW Syncro and Sportsmobiles for Jimmy Buffett. I'm selling Luna, my beloved 87 Westfalia with 161K miles. 2WD limited slip (Peloquin) differential and a 16V 2.0L 2003 turnkey Ford Zetec motor kit from Bostig.com. This is one of the nicest, Vanagon campers in the USA, but the kids have gotten too big to camp with it so we've moved on to a Transit. I'd like to get $50K for her.

If you want VW size and maneuverabilty with Ford parts availability and reliability, she's a tough rig to beat. And the Vanagon community is almost as solid as the SMB one!

Here's a link to my ad on the Samba with tons of info.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifi...php?id=2457139

And here's a crazy detailed walkaround.

dixoncj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 04:48 PM   #2

Beautiful rig, thanks for sharing!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:58 PM   #3
Orv

Garage
What I loved about my Vanagon Westy was how compactly packaged it was. The amount of living space you get in a 15 foot vehicle is remarkable, because the engine is tucked under the bed and there's no hood. The biggest problem with the Vanagon is all the original engine choices are unreliable, underpowered, or both. If this is a well-sorted conversion it should fix that problem.

What I miss most about mine, compared to my E250, is the handling. These vans have fully independent suspension and rack-and-pinion steering, with good weight distribution. They have the sort of direct feel and balanced handling you just don't encounter much in one-box cargo vehicles. Once you get used to the body roll you can really hustle them through the twisties.

The market on these is crazy, crazy high. If it were a Synchro I'd say $50K was easily in line. Not quite sure about a 2WD, but the engine conversion does add a lot of driveability I'm sure.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:05 PM   #4

Agree on all your points. This one has a billet aluminum shifter and a bigger sway bar. Handles and shifts like a high riding sports car and absorbs bumps like a pre-runner. It has huge suspension travel.
Got a deposit today pending financing. Stoked!!
dixoncj is offline   Reply With Quote