Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2009, 07:44 AM   #1

FS: 1994 E250 SMB pop-up, well-equipped

** SOLD **

1994 Ford E250, 351, with less that 95,000 miles. 90K service was done last year. Van is white and the interior is blue.

Sportsmobile Conversion has the penthouse top/bunk, furnace, hot water heater, Gaucho sofa/bed, porta-potty, wardrobe, 2-burner stove, 3-way refrig, solar panel. 20-gallon fresh water, 10-gallon grey water, sink (hot and cold), pantry, curtains/blinds...the list goes on. I have camped at El Mirage in the summer and in the Sierra in winter...and stayed comfortably cool/warm. Floorplan most closely resembles the RB31.

Mods include Camburg Baja suspension (pre-runner style), BFG Comp TA All-Terrain KO's, Piaas, hitch, stereo with aux inputs for XM or iPod.

I hate to sell but will consider partial trades for tent trailer, Airstream Bambi, slide-in pop-up for T100, or other, compact camper/trailer. Would consider m/c trades, too. Prefer BMW airheads, a Moto Guzzi Quota...something with character. Cash price is $14,900. Can arrange delivery on west coast.

E-mail/PM for additional info. Will post additional pix soon. Meanwhile enjoy some of the shots of our adventure camping.

bb

billy bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:03 AM   #2

Re: FS: 1994 E250 SMB pop-up, well-equipped

Nice rig buddy
Looks like you have had some GREAT trips
bw
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:32 AM   #3

Thanks, Bill. It has been a great rig. Gainfully underemployed and can't justify the insurance, reg, upkeep of a 6th vehicle....yeah, 6th.

Some interior shots here: http://billybee.smugmug.com/Cars/SMB-FS ... 4053_qwLjs

The shadow is cast by the wide-angle lens. I'll take some better pix this weekend using a proper flash...

bb
Old 10-02-2009, 08:45 AM   #4

Well kept
great floor plan
Will make a great rig for someone
sorry ya gotta sell
best of luck buddy
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:39 AM   #5

I have been getting lots of deep, philosophical questions on the van. Decided I better share some more info on the forum:

Is it in perfect condition?

No. It is a 15-year-old van...it has some issues. There is a shallow dent/scrape in the driver’s side. There was some paint work done to the RF fender. The paint on a small section the side door just below the window looks calcified/scaley. The paint cleans up pretty well but should be clay’d, compounded, and waxed. Otherwise, the paint appears a little chalky.

The interior shots tell the story. The carpet is clean, but a little matted. There is some wear to the driver’s and passenger’s seats. I could go on. But it is a well-maintained machine and most everything works perfectly.

Mechanically, it is in excellent shape. Neither I nor the one previous owner ever skimped on service, maintenance, or repairs. It runs like a champ. There are some small niggles:
• The fuel hose between the filler neck and the tank (rubber) is cracked. I pulled it taught and re-clamped it, but it needs a new piece of rubber hose sectioned in
• There is a suspension rattle that alludes me. Sounds like a chain rattling.
• The van is probably due for an oil change and front-end alignment
• The windscreen is cracked—which I will fix
• One of the driving lights needs a new bulb
• The dome light does not work properly

There’s probably more; but I will be driving it to Monterey next weekend without any concerns. And I would take it to Pataqonia tomorrow if I could. Moreover, I would put my wife in it and let her go anywhere...as long as she brings me back a sammich...

Is it 4x4?
No. It is two-wheel drive with limited slip differential. It would be worth $10k more were it 4x4. As you can see by my pictures, that has never kept me from taking the road less traveled.

It is lifted. The work was done by Camburg (http://www.camburg.com/) in Huntington Beach. I have driven some back-country roads where a 2wd pick would have gotten stuck. This thing is so heavy that it maintains grip in all but the most awkward or slippery situations where even a 4x4 would start to struggle. The weight is a detriment, too. Moving that mass up a hill or holding it during descents is tricky. When gravity overcomes grip you are at the mercy of physical law... In general, I think a van is a terrible platform for off-roading. This is a good compromise. I can get where I want to go on the NFS and fire roads, but don’t do anything stupid.

What engine does it have and what kind of gas mileage do you get?
It has a 351 and weighs 3+ tons. Gas mileage reflects that: 12 – 15 mpg if you drive smart; 10 – 13 if you don’t.

Why are you selling?
I am selling mostly for financial reasons. Our income this year will be off by 50%... We cannot justify keeping a 6th (yes, 6th) vehicle registered and insured when we only use it 10 times a year.

Thanks for looking,
bb
Old 10-06-2009, 08:06 PM   #6

I like your rig. The esthetically issues you mentioned wouldn't bother me much. One thing I intend to use whatever I purchase for is snowboarding trips, so the 4x4 is a big thing to me.

I was surprised you said 4x4 would make a 10k difference. I'm still learning to price SMBs. Does 4x4 really make that much difference? Someone told me $2500 difference for a 4x4.

So... ???
Zaskoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:39 PM   #7

You may be right. That's just my opinion...and you know what they say about opinions.

bb
Old 10-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #8

I've been researching converting a 2wd to 4x4 and am finding out that a basic conversion will run 12-14k. I'd say bb is about right as i've watched prices steadily for over a year and you just don't see 4x4's even in the $20k range. good luck.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:08 AM   #9

I have posted some more pictures to my photo hosting site: http://billybee.smugmug.com/Cars/SMB-FS ... 4053_qwLjs

Shows the dent on the driver's side, the dashboard, and the seats when they are both swiveled.

bb