Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2020, 05:21 PM   #31

Hello Russ, clearly I need to get some better photos on here. Admittedly, I wasn’t sure I wanted to sell initially, but now I am ready to send this beautiful rig down the road but am in the middle of a move and don’t have the time to detail/take pics etc. bear with me.

Taylor3633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:24 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Gutshall View Post
OK you "veteran posters" out there - how about some suggestions on how to properly post photos - and how many - angles ? - doors open ? - top up ? - etc. Maybe not thru Drop Box - as you have to sign in to view anything -- the more brick walls to break thru - the fewer people will view your images and slower sales of rigs being sold ? Just sayin' ?
As someone who doesn't shop for sportsmobiles, but does shop for other vehicles, I will offer this as very broad, general advice to anyone selling any vehicle:

First and foremost, use a camera that is decent. No, doesn't have to be a $10,000 camera, but don't use a potato. Most modern smart phone cameras can be decent. Use Landscape/horizontal, not vertical. Don't be one of "those" people. (And, Don't go digging through Instagram for five year old pictures with crappy filters over them, either). We want to see what it is you are selling today- not what you would have been selling five years ago. So take recent photos. The higher the resolution, the better.

Second, Take your pictures in a location with decent light. Full light. Not under a tree, not at sunrise, not at sunset, but in full early afternoon light.

Third, With camera and lighting issues now talked about, things people want to see photos of:

>> FULL frontal, sides(both), rear.
>> Pictures of the undercarriage. If a vehicle is AZ and located in MI, people will want to verify that the undercarriage is clean and rust free, or that people have not spray-painted the rust black to "appear" rust-free.
>> The drivers seat. This is where people will spend most of their time in the vehicle. Open the drivers door, and take a photo from between the A-pillar and the door itself. Again, if the lighting is dark, try and park in a manner that the lighting is at least respectable.
>> Try to get a picture of the other "touch" surfaces. Steering wheel, interior door skins, other seats. If the carpets have always been covered/something is in REALLY good shape, maybe take a photo peeling back the Weathertech mats to show a pristine floor beneath.
>> A picture of the mileage. For vehicles that may genuinely have "low miles", don't be the guy who says "450" and means "450,000", or more commonly someone who says "12,345" and neglected the "2" to make it "212,345". (This could be combined with a picture of the steering wheel).
>> A window sticker. Factory-Equipped options are nice to be able to see.
>> Some picture indicating what maintenance was done. For us, that's the owners manual that is up and down scribbled (neatly) with what was done, when, and the miles. We also have an excel file after we filled up the owners manual. For others, it's a stack of receipts/dealer invoices.

Some people may say the engine bay just for the sake of showing the motor... Unless your vehicle has a seriously impressive engine bay or there is an issue you are documenting with the motor/trans, I'd skip it. If your car has been affectionately cared for, and has a long list of "good maintenance", most people aren't going to care what the engine looks like- especially if it isn't a show car.

>>>>> If the vehicle was in an accident, no matter if it was a bumper kiss or you significantly damaged the vehicle, provide photo(s) of the damage, at the time it occurred.
Same if it was wrapped (Essentially to show the wrap is not hiding shoddy paint).

Lastly, in the body of the text, things people will probably be interested in knowing:
>> Which owner you are, Original, second, third, etc.
>> If you aren't the original owner, the year of acquisition and mileage.
>> What it was used for (Commercial, taxi, grandpa's weekend grocery getter, etc). If you know what past owners used it for, that can be good to know, too.
>> Where it's been (Salty/always-wet roads? Arizona?)
>> What modifications have been done with appropriate info (Cost, installer, mileage, etc.)
>> If your price is above or below what the "market value" is, and the modifications or condition of the vehicle don't clearly point to why your price is different, say so.
>> BE HONEST.

TL;DR: If you want to know "how to list your car", go to Bring a Trailer (Online/social media platform for auctioning vehicles), and look at how they do it. Very professional, and I personally have never seen them inaccurately represent a car.

Regarding avoiding of log-in to see photos, I use imgur. There are many other sites that host pictures, free of charge. With Imgur you can make unlisted "private" albums and arrange the photos in an order of your choice.

Sorry for the longwinded $0.02.
Erik
Old 05-05-2020, 08:09 PM   #33

Like it !!! Photo Etiquette 101 !! A process we can all abide by! This honestly should be in the membership sign up page!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Gutshall View Post
OK you "veteran posters" out there - how about some suggestions on how to properly post photos - and how many - angles ? - doors open ? - top up ? - etc. Maybe not thru Drop Box - as you have to sign in to view anything -- the more brick walls to break thru - the fewer people will view your images and slower sales of rigs being sold ? Just sayin' ?

I posted 100+ pics on Flickr for my recent SMB sale. Free to me and easily accessible. I also posted meant directly here on the forum in my ad via direct upload. It’s pretty easy either in Tapatalk or the Web.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:10 PM   #35
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
AND...I know the "in use shots" aka 4x4, out in the boonies, beach/sand etc are tempting...BUT, I WOULD (personally) leave those for your own memories...Sitting in the driveway, park or somewhere "tame" doesn't cause the initial "whoa" some buyers might have? It IS a SMB, and the ARE meant for off roading etc...BUT, as a tempted buyer, I would want to "imagine" (like getting married in your 40's lol) that it wasn't used too hard, driven in places 'I' will take it-eventually, etc...I know....BUT this plays for security/peace of mind...YOU know you've taken great care of it, and "pretty" shots align with that...good luck!! It is a great van for someone to build interior or use as is...and I think it is at a bargain price! LOVE that Color. top too!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:13 PM   #36
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Either Gramps or Off turned me on to the "bring a trailer" website...yes, a NEW addiction...lol...

https://bringatrailer.com

I think you should try that too!! I think vehicles go for a premium there, and your rig would be right up that sites alley!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:36 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
I think you should try that too!! I think vehicles go for a premium there, and your rig would be right up that sites alley!
The one van i saw go through there was a '01 7.3 PS 4x4, ~185K mi, for like $20K. I don't remember the exact specifics, but I didn't think the seller really got a good price. That being said, with the sample size being "one", there is no certainty that it wasn't just a fluke/poor timing.

You can set a reserve to prevent yourself from giving a vehicle away for less than what it's worth, but to me it seems that BaT is more for exotics, weekend drivers, project cars, and obscure collectibles. Trucks do cross through there, but usually not big, full size 4x4 vans.

I'd second the suggestion of giving it a go- If there aren't any nibbles here from prospective buyers, I don't think BaT would hurt, at least that way you can put it out there for a huge base of people.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:04 AM   #38

Garage
If this is still available can you send me a Private message? Would love to get a number or email to try to get some more pictures and info?
aarcaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:08 AM   #39

Thanks for all of the positive feedback guys. I think there are a number of factors at play here:
1) I have put 0 effort into taking good pics and marketing it
2) Lack of interior buildout
3) Widespread uncertainty in the market
I am slammed at work and in the process of moving which led me to schedule a full interior and exterior detailing after which time I will have my wife take some glamour shots. Fortunately for me, I am not in a position of desperation and can be patient to get it sold.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:38 PM   #40

Ok, sending it down for a a full interior and exterior detail in the morning. Considering consigning it at the local RV place. Again, I am open to offers so reach out if you want to make a deal. 406-570-3097