Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2020, 11:11 AM   #21

Talking

I own a 6.0 PSDiesel 2005.
I hear people complain about the engine.
I travel to Baja California Sur from California (USA) three or more times a year, I venture off road for days in washboard roads where you do not see many cars or people. Vizcaino wilderness one of them, San Francisquito is another about 4 hours dirt road each way, with very little traffic apart from nature..
That said I do have confidence in my 6.0 PSD, preventing you do all related maintenance, do not go crazy expecting to get more of the engine that you should (i.e. tuners for diesels ), since I live in Taxifornia, can not delete the stupid EGR system, so check it up frequently ( maybe time to register it in South Dakota)
For the savings in miles per gallon and 500 - 600 miles range went diesel.
You will not find many mechanics who can work diesel engines outside of the (construction equipment / big trucks )in Mexico or most countries in Latin America.
I bought my SMB with less than 30 K miles and it has 98 K now, some small issues mostly vibration loosening connections, water corroding some connections.
Not a fast engine, does not enjoy towing ( DO not engage Over drive while towing), more noise than gas engine, however while moving is very nice adn quiet in the cabin even with windows down.
Hey call me crazy or someone looking for punishment, Maybe I got lucky and got the only good 6.0 PSD..

jquevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:38 PM   #22

Low Sulphur Diesel in Baja is not a problem and has not been a problem for several years. What may be a problem is traveling to those out of the way locations that pose their own issues such as poor storage tank, lines and water in fuel. If you are planning on traveling to an isolated location, you may want to consider precautionary steps to filter fuel. We have been traveling Baja in a 2014 and 2016 Diesel Sprinter twice a year regularly since 2014 and long before in a Gas vehicle since 1966. Enjoy the Baja...!
Sloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:30 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmatthews812 View Post
I'm in the market to buy a used SMB. I'm hoping to land somewhere around 80K, which means most of what I find are SMBs from the 2000s. However, every single SMB I have found has been a diesel engine. Since I want to take this to Baja, where low sulfur diesel doesn't really exist, I need a gas engine.

So my question is, were gas engines even available in 2000-2010ish SMBs? Or am I looking for something that doesn't exist?

Thanks!

Gas all the way.. Find a Good 5.8L and you cannot go wrong..
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:07 AM   #24

This issue has been beat to death here, so often that at one point anyone posting additional diesel verses gas threads had them deleted.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...eads-1020.html

Never the less, it's always a good subject for discussion, more so for new folks. My personal opinion is based on owning both a 5.4 and a 7.3 in the last year. I could have kept either one, but I chose to sell the diesel due to a number of factors including the much higher cost of maintenance for the diesel, (a simple oil and filter change can cost north of $100 verses about $30). The list of potential diesel expenses / upgrades is pretty long and expensive verses the gas motors, which seem to run for hundred's of thousands of miles with nearly zero issues. It's also far more likely you can find a mechanic willing / able to work on a gas motor much more often than diesel. Having said that, plenty of folks enjoy their diesels in far away places with a minimum of issues, but for me, the simplicity and economy of maintenance, less noise, and lower cost (diesels bring a premium price when sold) won out. I probably spend a little more at the gas pump, but for me, gas is a minor expense. As for a 6.0, I'm happy for those folks who find them reliable, but they have a long history of very expensive failures so I would never consider one. Best of luck in your search. When you find the right one, be ready to fly if needed, and do it immediately or risk loosing it to someone who can move quicker.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote