Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2021, 08:37 AM   #1

GPS Recommendations ?

Greetings -- Sorry if this is a repetitive/already been posted thread ? Looking for recommendations on a plug and play GPS for my 2002 V10 van. Want to be able to disconnect from view for security -- 12 volt plug needs to be included, etc.

Should include free updates - and good size viewing screen - "touchable" controls maybe ?

Appreciate any inputs !

doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:03 AM   #2

Garage
Garmin: Garmin GPSMAP 66i, Garmin Montana, Garmin inReach Explorer - depends on what you want (unit size, screen size, touch screen, price, etc.)
There are threads with these discussions...Garmin comes up in all of them, so if you do a search for "Garmin" you'll get a couple hits. Basically anything that can serve you with the ability to reach out is a benifit.
If you are talking about GPS to be utilized as a vehicle tracker then that's a whole other discussion with considerably more options.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ons-24855.html
Old 06-09-2021, 10:16 PM   #3

We use an iPad Air cellular model with Gaia maps. Works great. Very portable. Some use the iPad mini.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:53 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
There are indeed more than a few threads about GPS however its not a bad idea discussing this from time-to-time. With so much evolution in the field and longer term use experiences are gained over time we all benefit from what others have learned.

I personally vacillate between needing/wanting one and doing okay without BUT I tend to drive the same roads and routes very regularly. Relying on Google Maps for pre-trip planning along with their satellite images of my destination proves useful. Since I don't own or use (nor intend to) a "smart phone" and have no internet access when away from home I'm a bit behind the times---IF I were prone to traveling as so many here are I'd be equipped at least as well as an AWACS aircraft!

Garmin will get a 5th or 6th look now that its once again come up in this sort of discussion. I've heard good things about Rand-McNally too, mostly the professional driver's or big truck versions. From what I've read in a cursory way those seem to have a lot more features like road side attractions, eateries, fueling stations and so on.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 05:38 PM   #5

FYI -- The Garmin Overlander is on sale right now: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/68...n/010-02195-00
owlicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:14 AM   #6

I use both the Garmin Overlander, which I love & an I-Pad Mini running GAIA. The Overlander has a very strong magnetic mount which I attach to a RAMMount base. I purchased the fleet wiring harness, so it is permanently "hard-wired" through the dash. When I want the head unit to be out of view, I just pull it away from the magnetic mount and put it in the glovebox.

I just got back from a 4 day trip through southern Utah that was hosted by Fourwheeler magazine. One of their major sponsors was OnXOffroad, a fairly new player in the offroad mapping/GPS market. They gave each participant a 1 year free trial of their "Elite" package which costs $99 a year. I'm still learning how to use the GAIA & the Overlander, and didn't want to add the stress of trying to learn how to use a third option. However, everyone that did try it, really seemed to like it. I heard numerous positive comments and no negative comments.

I'll try to get some pics and get them posted this afternoon.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:28 AM   #7

The Garmin RV series allows you to customize your settings for the specifics of your vehicle. This isn't as big a deal for vans as it is for motorhomes but it's nice to have for high tops, etc. Garmin also sells a wireless backup camera that interfaces with many of their units.

I've had various Garmins over the years and have always been happy with them.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:04 PM   #8

Here's the Garmin Overlander mount. I also have the bluetooth back-up camera from Garmin that goes with the Overlander. Works great...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6611 (2).jpg   IMG_6613 (2).jpg   IMG_6616 (2).jpg   IMG_6619 (2).jpg   IMG_7743 (2).jpg  

Old 06-11-2021, 07:21 PM   #9

Garage
Glen, the power supply box you have mounted on the top of the dash (towards the middle of the windshield) interests me - Is that something you installed? Would you mind sharing the brand and/or model? Thanks.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Glen, the power supply box you have mounted on the top of the dash (towards the middle of the windshield) interests me - Is that something you installed? Would you mind sharing the brand and/or model? Thanks.
I wanted to run as many of the power cables under the dash as possible. I also installed a BlueSea equivalent power point. It's something from the boating world that just screws to the dash over the hole that the cables run through. I'll have to go back and see if I can find the receipt. I think I got it from Amazon, or it might be from West Marine.

I did have to modify it just a bit in order to get the rubber grommet to fit over the hole for a smoother edge.