Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2021, 01:42 PM   #91

ebay reminder - ends Sunday

Ok folks, thanks for the feedback -- it sounds like the bulk of the interest was at the lower end of the price range.

I've got a larger shop looking at whether they'd want to make these (for cheaper, in theory), and like I mentioned, we're trying to produce two sets of these. The ebay listing is the best way to ensure you get one; otherwise I'll update if / when we get the second set produced, and then see if we can work on individual windows. (I saw your updates @Michael, @aarcaris, and @Stone Cite - thx)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284416766046

scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:54 AM   #92

Window covers available

Update: the initial batch is ready to ship! This is all that will be produced for the time being.

I'm checking with the guys who expressed specific interest first (@vwteleman @aarcaris and @stonecite), but if they "pass," then the covers fitting the following windows will be available for purchase, first come/FS'd:

Pricing is $100 per window (plus shipping), and includes the straps, buttons, and rare-earth magnets all sewn into the covers. If I have enough, I'll also send the matching screw-snaps (2 needed per cover) and van-side magnets needed for 10&11.

Let me know any questions.
Attached Thumbnails
CropperCapture[160].jpg   CropperCapture[159].jpg   CropperCapture[161].jpg   CropperCapture[162].jpg  
Old 10-04-2021, 08:41 PM   #93

pic requested by a member

Here's a pic of #4 showing the notch for the pop-out mechanism.
Attached Thumbnails
CropperCapture[634].jpg   CropperCapture[635].jpg  
Old 10-05-2021, 06:21 PM   #94

Update:
I've made 3 shipments, so maybe there'll be some reviews/feedback next week; meanwhile, the following windows are now available (just these). I've had a couple of inquiries for two at a time, but I'd prefer to send 4+ to people to minimize packing, so let me know interest, and please include your address for shipping estimates. And in any event I'll get back to those of you who've contacted me, in order, if no one takes these full-er sets. Email t e x n y c at gmail .

Old 10-12-2021, 07:14 AM   #95

2 updates:
1) For those who have received curtains, just fwiw, when I was installing the screw-in buttons in my van, in a few spots I used a cut-off wheel to shorten the screws a little to make sure they didn't make contact with whatever's behind the sill / headliner. Just pre-drill if you do that (or I recommend pre-drilling for all of them to be safe).

2) I've got the following left:
10,11 and
Old 10-12-2021, 10:57 PM   #96

Garage
Nice work on those, scuba. I’m curious about the magnets. Are they holding to the window metal through the plastic trim?
Old 10-13-2021, 07:46 AM   #97

After experimenting, we used magnets only in 2 places: 1) around the top and sides (eight total I think) to secure the driver and passenger covers to the metal surround, and 2) on the sides of the rear window covers (rear doors) to hold them into the plane of the sill. (The rear windows are angled enough that otherwise the cover hangs inward. And in that case, we expoxied matching magnets (included w/ purchase) on the backside of the window trim on each side, so you don't see anything from inside the van, but when deployed, the magnets in the hem of the cover snap the cover smartly into place.)

For everywhere else, screw-in snaps are used. These worked best to do the double-duty of pressing the top hem against the window pane and holding the stowed window against the top sill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Nice work on those, scuba. I’m curious about the magnets. Are they holding to the window metal through the plastic trim?
Old 10-13-2021, 08:02 AM   #98

And just to make sure I answered your question, there aren't magnets in the others-- the way we sized them and friction keep them in the window when deployed.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:14 AM   #99

Garage
Thank you for the info, Scuba. I considered magnets for mine but went with snaps instead. I may use them in my passenger and driver windows since the metal is more accessible. Having shades at the ready is great, isn’t it? I’ve enjoyed mine a lot and am sure you all will too.