Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2021, 09:51 AM   #11

Just throwing out a few of my observations based on having made some (non-folding curtains) and used them for many years now:
1. Use rare earth magnets, not velcro. Velcro will wear over time (even the nice name-brand) and it doesn't stick particularly well to the frame of the windows. Magnets have the added benefit of sticking to the metal door frame around the windows if that is bare. I'd also add a couple along the sides so that they sit flush against the windows.
2. Consider thinsulate instead of reflectex. Yes it is wayyyyy more expensive, but it should insulate a lot better in cold weather. Our curtains are just reflectex and they do absolutely nothing in cold temperatures (conversion van, so the windows all around are awful for heat transfer in cold weather).

Here's a really good write-up (this couple's entire build website is incredible) about DIY curtains.

nyyankees588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankees588 View Post
Just throwing out a few of my observations based on having made some (non-folding curtains) and used them for many years now:
1. Use rare earth magnets, not velcro. Velcro will wear over time (even the nice name-brand) and it doesn't stick particularly well to the frame of the windows. Magnets have the added benefit of sticking to the metal door frame around the windows if that is bare. I'd also add a couple along the sides so that they sit flush against the windows.
2. Consider thinsulate instead of reflectex. Yes it is wayyyyy more expensive, but it should insulate a lot better in cold weather. Our curtains are just reflectex and they do absolutely nothing in cold temperatures (conversion van, so the windows all around are awful for heat transfer in cold weather).

Here's a really good write-up (this couple's entire build website is incredible) about DIY curtains.
1. Are your curtains literally just reflectix (like the ones I just bought that look like reflectix plus suction cups)?

2. That is a good write-up. That thinsulate doesn't look very "thin." Are you thinking it's possible to use thinsulate and still fold-up accordian-style? If so, let me know if you have a particular thinsulate product in mind.

3. PS Let me know a link or suggestions for how to use magnets with the (plastic) window surrounds that the passenger vans have. (good idea) I.e. glue them on?

Thanks-- with all the experiences on here, I look forward to a collaborative thread.
scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
1. Are your curtains literally just reflectix (like the ones I just bought that look like reflectix plus suction cups)?

2. That is a good write-up. That thinsulate doesn't look very "thin." Are you thinking it's possible to use thinsulate and still fold-up accordian-style? If so, let me know if you have a particular thinsulate product in mind.

3. PS Let me know a link or suggestions for how to use magnets with the (plastic) window surrounds that the passenger vans have. (good idea) I.e. glue them on?

Thanks-- with all the experiences on here, I look forward to a collaborative thread.
1. Our curtains are reflectex with navy fabric sewn on one side. There are velcro patches sewn on to the fabric and then sticky adhesive stuck on the frames around the windows (this is the velcro that tends to fall off). I have seen a few people on this forum add a suction cup to their curtains directly in the center of the curtain so that it holds tight against the window, which seams like a good idea.

2. If you read through that whole article that I linked, they did 2" thinsulate, but said they would likely go with 1" thinsulate to make the curtains easier to store. You can buy thinsulate by the yard on ebay. Ultimately I'm not sure how you'd accomplish the folding curtain setup - both thinsulate and reflectex are pretty thick. I actually think thinsulate might compress better than reflectex (reflectex is basically bubble wrap with a a reflective coating).

3. Amazon has a lot of rare earth magnets that come with adhesive strips (example). They hold well to the metal of the van, have not tried them on the plastic trim. I have seen magnets with a hole in the center that allow them to be attached via a screw (not sure how well a screw would last in the plastic piece either).
nyyankees588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:19 PM   #14

Front windshield and drive and passenger front doors, please!
bisonthecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:48 PM   #15

also interested, depending on price
tedujam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:40 AM   #16

I’d be interested in a set for the right price. Nice design.
Michael_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:10 AM   #17

update: harder than I thought deciding on fabric. Testing these two (ripstop nylon and ripstop polyester).

https://www.joann.com/sew-classics-s...732&quantity=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't think it matters too much with this design (none of the bloggers I sifted through actually specified the fabric, except for a reference to "sailcloth" in one of the commercial providers.... who only does sprinters. Thus trying the prob-too-thin ripstop nylon) .

By the way, if any vendors browsing this feel like we're ripping them off or otherwise want to make these for a E-series, by all means please stop me (for the love of God, take my money). I've contacted 4+ (all I could find), with no luck. Overlandgearguy looks like he's doing great things in general-- just no fold-up, and owes me an email.
scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:36 PM   #18

Garage
I would be interested in a set for the windshield, front doors, 60/40 door, and rear doors.

One company I haven't reached out to yet, but look like they make some nice looking window coverings is Van Made Gear out of Portland. They offer window coverings for lots of models of vans just no ford e-series. But they might do E-Series vans if they can see there is enough of a demand.

Found this walkthrough of their facility and it looks like they are making some high quality stuff.

aarcaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:15 PM   #19

I hope this gets worked out as I have an ext passenger van... ie lots of glass.
My only added input would be to look at sunbrella fabric. Lightweight, color won't fade, very mildew resistant and fairly easy to sew.
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
The closest I came to finding some like this for sale (E-series gear is getting harder to find) was "over $2,300" from overlandgearguy, and those don't fold-up. (still waiting on his availability)
$2300 for some window covers? I guess it's becoming Bendoverlanding?
86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote