Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2021, 01:47 PM   #21

I looked briefly at sunbrella fabric b/c I remembered it being touted in some products. A forum somewhere said it would be too stiff for regular RV curtains, and therefore much more so in our folding / rolling application.

However, if you have a link / suggestion to good looking subrella fabric, please let us know-- thx for the suggestion.

I spent a half-hour with the whole team at Joanne fabric today, and ended up with more ripstop nylon. (enough for a prototype).

I like the look and feel of poly/cotton ripstop fabric (heavier, i.e. what BDU's were made of in the 90's, though that may have been 100% cotton), but haven't been able to find it with decent shipping times. )

scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:05 PM   #22

Garage
I think its great that scuba is stepping up and trying to fill a void in the market and don't want to steal this thread in anyway but I figured I should follow my post about Vanmade Gear. I called them and they said they do offer E-series windshield and driver side/passenger window coverings. They are not on their site, but if you call/email you can order them. From what they told me they currently aren't doing any other windows, but they are constantly adding more models to their lineup. Also they use a Low-E insulation and a few different ripstop style material options for both an interior and exterior finish.
Windshield has two options with or without rearview mirror for $320
Diver/Passenger for $180
aarcaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:56 PM   #23

Would love it if they can. I called and left a message.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:15 PM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
Would love it if they can. I called and left a message.
I messaged them on Instagram and they said they have templates for Cargo style windows. They sent me some pictures of the van they made them for and it looks like it would work if you weren't using any kind of window shroud around the Window.

Also just remembered another company that is offering a similar set up is Strawfoot Handmade. They posted on Instagram about it which I have linked. Don't know pricing or availability, but it does say just email.

So if you have a cargo van and no window shrouds there might be two solid options.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:44 PM   #25

From Strawfoot (read from bottom up):
"Yes, it does. However I believe ours are for the 06+.

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 6:36 AM "scuba" wrote:
Ok-- thank you. Does that mean that you *do* make ones that would fit the windows that are common to the cargo van (windshield and front passenger / driver)?

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 8:27 AM Strawfoot Handmade <info@strawfoothandmade.com> wrote:
Hi scuba

We do not make them for the passenger Econoline, just the cargo vans. Sorry about that.

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 6:13 AM Scuba wrote:
Could you guys make me some window covers for all the windows on my Ford E-Series campers van (I have all the windows of a stock 15-passenger). Thanks!
Old 02-25-2021, 09:48 PM   #26

Put me on the list!
bonedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:18 AM   #27

scuba,

I’m interested in sets for side and rear barn doors. Thanks.
unclemikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:11 AM   #28

Garage
I also heard back from Vanmade Gear and was told they will be adding their E series window covers to their site sometime next week. They are similar to the style that Strawfoot Handmade makes in that they attach with magnets so they will only work for bare metal doors normally found in the cargo vans. For Pricing I was told
Rear Doors $175
Side Barn Doors $175
Front Windshield $275
Front Door Set $175

Also if you are still looking to make them I thought of another option that may or may not make things simpler. EuroCampers.com makes a complete set of window coverings (Link)for passenger vans which you could buy and then just wrap in fabric to get the look you want. Not sure about the quality or if it would really be a good option, but for some people this might be a good solution.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:57 AM   #29

It will probably be at least a few weeks until I get to it but I was able to snag several Rumpl blankets for $30 each and plan on making window coverings with them. I’ve been using one as a blanket, it’s super light weight seems to be wel insulating given how thin it is and compacts down really well.
Wisco150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:22 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcaris View Post
Also if you are still looking to make them I thought of another option that may or may not make things simpler. EuroCampers.com makes a complete set of window coverings (Link)for passenger vans which you could buy and then just wrap in fabric to get the look you want. Not sure about the quality or if it would really be a good option, but for some people this might be a good solution.
Good stuff Aarcaris. The Eurocamper set you mentioned is the same I just purchased at some other site. I was going to use them in a pinch, but more importantly probably use them as templates. The foil-like material is similar to reflectix, but a little thinner.
If they were cheaper, it'd be cool to take each window of them and cut into strips for our purposes, but at ~$300 for a full set, that seemed wasteful.

Will watch for Vanmadegear (keep us posted). The ability to store on the window is important to me.