Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2021, 02:38 PM   #81

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
Pictures attached
Thanks for the update scuba! These look great and I look forward to seeing the rest of them come together.

aarcaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 05:37 PM   #82

I'm interested. They look great.
Old 05-31-2021, 08:06 PM   #83
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Nice progress---I've been watching this thread as its wound around so maybe this will be helpful, at least concerning your front door versions.

I've crafted something similar from a bubble-wrap type radiant barrier insulation that are placed in the same position but are cut so they are almost the same size as the upper door glass "frame", they are intentionally caught between the door and the body. The material I use will compress quite easily, the door seal as it fits against the body isn't compromised or affected in any way.

I mention this only because if you could or seek to eliminate the magnets as a space or time & materials savings its something to consider.

Mind you stowing mine isn't an issue because they fit neatly behind the driver's seat and a solid bulkhead I have separating the front seating area from the rear cargo area. I do know not everyone has or even wants such a divider so the issue or stowing this sorts of covers when not used would require a bit of consideration.

The workmanship your pieces seem to have looks amazing---nice feature making them accordion-like to fit into a smaller area. Also looks like there's some interest and I hope this once father-daughter project becomes a lucrative side business.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 10:09 PM   #84

I'd be interested too. Nice work.
coloradoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:41 PM   #85

These guys still make some pretty robust and fitted e-series shades. They don't roll up in place but they roll up and are durable. https://www.heatshieldstore.com/
Clarkboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:48 PM   #86

Hey gang,

A member checked-in with me today and kicked me in the pants to give an update. I have been battle-scarred by dealing with, and ultimately writing off some advances to our original seamstress. We found another one (not in the millineal generation), and she and we have completed the first set of window covers.

I have all of your messages to me (watch for a google doc coming soon, in which I've filled out each of your notes, for you to re-confirm your interest).

Meanwhile I need to do 2 things: 1) confirm the volume our lady can produce and real-world timing (there was still back-and forth fitment iterations with the 1st set), and 2) figure out pricing. (!)

To that end, we are going to produce the first for-purchase set, and I just set up an ebay listing for model 001 . (I know... "ebay, ugh." Go with me here...) After how much time and effort we have in this, I'm going to be bad at handicapping the right price, plus I dunno how fast we can crank these out.

And yes, I know the buy-it-now is high. Did I mention I really wish I could have bought these 6 months ago for that?

So... my thinking is that we auction the first set, get one more round of datapoints on production time and labor, and then I will set up some kind of ordering system, in which there'll definitely be a thumb on the scale in terms of chronology of people expressing interest and anything else we can do to respect the helpfulness of the community.

Link :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284416766046
scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:16 PM   #87

Can’t recall if I put my name in already, but if not please add me to the list!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 07:52 AM   #88

Hello scuba -- is there any update on van window insulation project pricing ? I see lots of interest in buying - but may have missed the projected cost per window(s) chosen for purchase ? Any further updates on placing orders - projected completion of product for shipping, etc ? Thanks -- looking good !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 10:07 AM   #89

Here is the Google Doc. If everyone can reconfirm their information in there, it will speed things along.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...jU7jLPcGs/edit

"docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t5fYqqlbsShiR_2joJ7vwaaWZKfHB-z3HRjU7jLPcGs/edit"

And @doublevan2, we should have pricing figured out after this next batch. Knowing the numbers in terms of interest volume will help.

I made this comment in the google doc, but the straps / installation was a whole 'nother project. I don't necessarily assume everyone will want to install like I did, so please put the feedback on that question in the google doc. (and see the Ebay listing for explanatory pictures)

Thanks everyone.
Old 08-20-2021, 02:11 PM   #90

pricing update

Ok-- good news based on incorporating the straps into the covers. The updated estimated cost is $100 per window total cost, inclusive of straps, except for the 3 long ones in the middle of the van, which are 2-3 times as big, and will be $190 each with straps if you need those individually.

Total for a full set of 11 (Extended body) would be $1200. (there are some economies of scale in making the whole set)

I'm having a full set produced over the next 3.5 weeks for the auction, plus maybe one more.

For those of you for whom this sounds high and you want to make your own, I'm happy to answer questions over the phone (PM me). And I'll try to get the costs down over time (using a higher volume shop, which will require more set-up and different material sourcing), so please keep me updated with feedback like, "I'm interested, but down the road or at a lower cost, etc."

And I updated the Google doc settings to be editable, if anyone else is having trouble.