Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2021, 10:57 AM   #1

Interest check- E-Series window coverings, fold-up

I can't find these available for sale, so I am considering fabricating my own with my 9-yr old daughter on the 100-yr old foot-powered Singer sewing machine I got her last year. (Based on ones ndubes had made-- these are his pics)

The closest I came to finding some like this for sale (E-series gear is getting harder to find) was "over $2,300" from overlandgearguy, and those don't fold-up. (still waiting on his availability)

Sooo, let me know if anyone would be interested in us making an extra set(s). I'm going to let her have the $.

I'm starting to see the reason for the prices. It's 11 individual windows (on the EB) including the windshield, but it may make sense to exclude the windshield as there are prob commerical alternatives.

If I get enough interest, I'll work on figuring out pricing / timing / worth-it-ness.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1796.jpg   IMG_1800.jpg  

scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:12 PM   #2

Scuba - I'm interested.

I almost pulled the trigger on overlandgearguy's havelock wool option, but price is definitely pretty steep. I guess it's the price one pays for custom product.

I'd be particularly interested in the rear door and side barn door windows.
Also perhaps the front drivers and passengers windows ??

Thanks for the post - glad to support any kids singer sewing machine skills ! That's a dying art.
Stone Cite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:32 PM   #3

I'm down for a set of side barn doors and rear doors.
Tnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:53 PM   #4

Greetings -- I'm on board for driver and passenger cab area windows (2) ! -- If you're making those ? In gray or slate gray if colors are options ?
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:40 PM   #5

I would be interested in a set of these for the side and rear barn doors as well as front cab side windows. Mine are old and could use replacing. Always nice to buy locally made.

Jeff
Jeff94598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:08 PM   #6

I am interested price dependent of course.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:27 AM   #7

Oops - Sorry - gonna have to retract my interest in these window shades - my wife surprised me with a set she made me for my birthday ! Gotta put my efforts into thanking her !

Best of luck for this young entrepreneur !!
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:54 AM   #8

Also interested - side doors, rear doors and front cab area shades if you make those as well.

While my van is a conversion van, and thus came from the converter with shades, for whatever reason the previous owner removed them. All of them. So the van is a bloody fish bowl. A tinted fishbowl, but still a fish bowl... so I have to come up with something to fill in the three conversion side windows.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:09 AM   #9

Thanks for the responses guys.
1. @doublevan2 Do you want to share pics of your birthday surprise (speaking strictly of the shades!)
2. We will be selecting materials and looking at feasibility (and feasible pricing) of doing this, so it may be a week or two before you hear back.
3. Let me know if anyone has suggestions on the main fabric material. I plan to pretty closely follow these pics, but will need to select which fabric.

Material list:
a. Reflectix, cut into strips.
b. Black hem-type fabric tape to finish the sewn edges.
c. Nylon webbing straps to roll-up.
d. Screw-in buttons to secure the straps to the top of the window frame.
e. Either buttons or velcro (or maybe magnets) to secure the bottom edge when deployed (ndubes suggests avoiding buttons b/c of the stress on the fabric)
f. Main fabric-- I am thinking normal-weight sliver polyester from Joanne's / sewing store for both sides. I think we'll get most of the black-out effect from the reflectix, and the silver may help reflect heat away in the summer, and make the inside less like a dark cave. Open to suggestions on type of fabric, but I assume something not too thick will be best for drying out whatever moisture it picks up from the window.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:13 AM   #10

Fyi, another user of silver and reflectix I saw at a van upfitter last week. (Non-fold-up).
If this is anyone's van on here, PM me, as I have some questions on the interior build out.
Attached Thumbnails
20210212_153530.jpg