Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2014, 06:12 AM   #1

Is this a decent deal? 2006 SMB 4x4 Diesel

This is one of my first posts. Been a lurker for a while and the wife finally said I can get a SMB. You guys are the experts and know what these should be priced at. I spoke to the owner and got some extra pics. The only problems seem to be that the hot water heater is not good but I figure I can replace that for $500 as a DIY. Also the penthouse top looks rough. The clear coat is all coming off. That seems to be typical and I figured I would rhino-line it. The engine with 103,000 miles checks out O.K. except for a coolant leak which he is getting fixed. According to the owner there were a number of warranty items done on the 6.0 when it was new but no problems for years. I am way out in Georgia so I figured I would get it shipped back. Way cheaper than 3,500 miles of diesel. Anyone seen this van in person or have an opinion on the price?

http://www.sportsmobile.com/preowns/286

Old 09-19-2014, 07:45 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: Is this a decent deal? 2006 SMB 4x4 Diesel

No knowledge of that SMB, but ask more questions about the coolant leak and what is getting repaired. If it is at the cylinder heads, there is cause for concern IMO. Is so, also ask the owner if they ever ran any chips or tunes to increase the power.

If the problem is at the EGR cooler, ask if it is being replaced with a Ford OEM cooler or a Bulletproof cooler.

If the issue is the water pump, that's not a major issue.

If you go forward, I hope you're at least see it in person and drive it before buying it. A roundtrip plane ticket is a small investment compared to the price of an SMB.

Lastly, ask what engine oil they've been using, and how often it gets changed.

Herb
Old 09-19-2014, 07:58 AM   #3

I bought my SMB in N. Carolina. I flew out and drove it back to SoCal cheaper than the trucking companies wanted to charge. The thing with SMB's is they're going to take 2 car spaces and then there's the height and weight issue. My SMB weighed around 8800 lbs empty, I bet that van is real close to the same. Better call around and get shipping quotes and make sure you tell them the height, length and weight!
Old 09-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #4

Garage

^^^ exactly the same for us. everyplace wanted to charge me for two spots as well. whether it be on a truck or train. weight didnt seem to be an issue for anyone, but height definitely was. this was from augusta georgia to boise idaho.

theres people on here that have recommendations for ship companies they trust and have first hand experience with. hopefully they see this and chime in.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:02 AM   #5

This is great info. Thanks guys.

But if the engine checks out is this an O.K. deal for a 2006 SMB 4x4 6.0 diesel with 103,xxx miles on it? $53,000. The interior is in good shape.

I don't want to fly out there and drive it if this is not a decent price.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:26 AM   #6
Site Team

I think it's in the right ballpark, but my unscientific, unsubstantiated opinion is that SMBs shown for sale on SMBs website, tend to be priced a little higher than those advertised elsewhere. Probably to make up for the listing fee, which is not insignificant.

Hopefully there a little room for negotiation.

Herb

[EDIT: I'd also ask if the owner regularly uses fuel additive (and which additive - just as a little test to see if they can name it off the top of their head)]
Old 09-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #7

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

This one just sold for $53,000

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...p?f=34&t=14471

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:44 AM   #8

I think there are some members here that are from WA. Maybe someone who is near by can take a look at it for you before you come out west.

But as Herb mentioned, I don't think this is a screaming deal, more in the ballpark as others. There was one recently listed near me in CA that was priced at $45,000. I can't remember the specifics of it but I think its was a 6.0, 4x4, with a 50 layout. The CL listing has since been deleted though.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:07 AM   #9

He is going to bring it in Monday to get the coolant leak fixed and everything double-checked on the engine.

The owner does not use a fuel additive. Since i have never owned a diesel I don't know if this is a big deal or not.

If anyone is in the Maple Valley, WA area and knows their stuff it would be great if they could take a closer look at it for me. Since I own an outdoor store there might be a free backpack, paddle, backpacking stove or similar in it for someone.

is there a better place to post this?