Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2022, 07:56 PM   #1

ISO Sportsmobile

Hello folks, as the title says I am currently in the market to purchase a Sportsmobile. My wife and I have been sitting on this for a couple years and are finally at a point to take the plunge. We currently have a great setup with our old Toyota but are ready to have something that has better 4 season comfort for us (and dogs), easily carry our summer gear, and the ability to camp incognito. Below is our current setup in Johnson Valley.

Here is the dollhouse:

We have been doing our research and have a list of non-starters, or absolute needs, to go along with this purchase.

Needs:
1. 7.3l Diesel
2. <$80,000
3. Furnace
4. >15 gal fresh water
5. Fridge
6. Penthouse
7. 4x4

Wants - negotiable:
1. Built in stove
2. Awning
3. Powered penthouse
4. Bluetooth capable
5. Locking Diffs
6. Full Aluminess bumpers
7. Solar
8. Outdoor shower.

We currently are about a month out from pulling the trigger (gears at the bank turn slooooow), and we have one already in our crosshairs. The reality is, I doubt the one we want will be available a month from now so I am posting this to cast a net for other options that might surface. Located in Boise, ID but distance isnt really a concern for the right vehicle.

m3bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:08 AM   #2

Here's one that's coming up at a Mecum auction later this month that looks like it meets most of your needs.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/AZ0322-49...IPf3Mx2Qy251rE
RVRRNNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 11:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRRNNR View Post
Here's one that's coming up at a Mecum auction later this month that looks like it meets most of your needs.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/AZ0322-49...IPf3Mx2Qy251rE

Clean rig with great mileage. I see some good 'ole iron oxide peeking out from the undercarriage but it's likely surface rust. I imagine this would probably fetch 65-75k?

OP, what's your max acceptable mileage for a 7.3? I've seen several well maintained rigs with 250k-300k go for under 60k.
NeedsWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 11:39 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsWork View Post

Clean rig with great mileage. I see some good 'ole iron oxide peeking out from the undercarriage but it's likely surface rust. I imagine this would probably fetch 65-75k?...
I'm guessing more than twice that number. First, it's at Mecum, second the van market is stupidly hot (though fuel prices are calming that down already), and third, watch the videos and see all the work that went into that rig.

Herb
Old 03-09-2022, 12:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
I'm guessing more than twice that number. First, it's at Mecum, second the van market is stupidly hot (though fuel prices are calming that down already), and third, watch the videos and see all the work that went into that rig.

Herb
The van I sent the link to is a 2002 Quigley with the regular 50 floorplan. It doesn't appear to have any custom work done. There's another 2003 hardtop 7.3 at the same auction with a full custom build that will likely go for double the OP's budget. Probably the one you're referring to.
Old 03-09-2022, 01:17 PM   #6

I'm betting Herb is referring to that other one, I'll just call it the Be All End All.

The one pictured is nice. Couldn't be original paint, interesting color but it's the kind of color that takes commitment. I'll be curious to see what that one goes for.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 01:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I'm betting Herb is referring to that other one, I'll just call it the Be All End All.

The one pictured is nice. Couldn't be original paint, interesting color but it's the kind of color that takes commitment. I'll be curious to see what that one goes for.
Yup, he must have the UJOR "Alpha Van" in mind. Sky is the limit on that one and for good reason.
NeedsWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 01:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsWork View Post

Clean rig with great mileage. I see some good 'ole iron oxide peeking out from the undercarriage but it's likely surface rust. I imagine this would probably fetch 65-75k?

OP, what's your max acceptable mileage for a 7.3? I've seen several well maintained rigs with 250k-300k go for under 60k.
I saw the rust too. Not very good photos, not much information, lots of questions, not enough answers. Color is great I will admit.

As far as mileage, there is no max. Maintenance and records go a long way. I've been led to believe the 7.3l can go the distance and why that is a requirement of mine. No interest in a gasser nor the 6.0.
m3bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 02:23 PM   #9
Site Team

Yep, just a bonehead assumption on my part that the link was to the Alpha Van auction. My bad.

Regarding the only actually linked, it's interesting. Virtually no description, so that makes it difficult. It has a heater so that's good, but I'm struggling with the blue color. It seems a very unusual color (maybe it's just the lighting) but it doesn't seem like a stock Ford color. If t was a repaint, it was an extensive repaint as the door jambs are painted the same at least the ones you can see.

Rear plate is Alaska, so it may have rust issues underneath.

Herb
Old 03-09-2022, 03:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
I saw the rust too. Not very good photos, not much information, lots of questions, not enough answers. Color is great I will admit.

As far as mileage, there is no max. Maintenance and records go a long way. I've been led to believe the 7.3l can go the distance and why that is a requirement of mine. No interest in a gasser nor the 6.0.
FYI, The current owner has a thread going on this van on the facebook sportsmobile owners group and has been answering questions there if you're interested.