Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2020, 10:07 AM   #1

Looking for 2010 or Newer SMB

Hello all -

Our family is looking for a 2010 or newer SMB. We are new to this forum and amazing world of the SMB rig. If you know of anyone that is looking for a buyer or have any guidance or in our search, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks - James

The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:09 AM   #2

A bit more info would help in your search. Where are you located, what features are you looking for, any "must-haves", how many do you have to sleep etc. will give some better guidance for those potentially looking to sell.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:19 AM   #3

Thanks for asking. I realized after I posted, I probably should have listed more information. We are a family of four, with two little ones, so ideally, we would prefer a floor plan similar to EB50 or EB51 so we can sleep and sit four (4) safely. We would prefer a model that is a Sportsmobile Classic 4x4. In addition, if possible, we are looking for something under $100,000. There is a 2013 we are inquiring about, which is pretty much what we are looking for, however, not sure if it is appropriate to post here to ask for feedback.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:21 AM   #4

As long as it isn't a smoking deal, its appropriate to ask for feedback. If it's a smoking deal, someone may buy it out from under you. However, most 4x4 EB50s are priced in the $50-75k range and that is a fair price. I would post just to get the feedback from the experts, many of whom have owned multiple SMBs.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:30 AM   #5

I understand someone my purchase from under me, but honestly I want to make the right decision and would prefer for the experts to assist us in this search and am willing to wait for the right opportunity.

Here is the listing: https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...350-5012105023

In addition, this post was originally $95,000 and then he changed it to $105,000.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:41 AM   #6

That one is extremely nice. Has a ton of upgrades and all the goodies. He isn't kidding when he says he went all in.

I like that it's gas (the diesels can require a lot of work to make reliable). However, you said you are looking for an EB and this one is an RB, but I don't know how much that matters to you.

If you are looking at 2010+ for financing purposes, that's a good idea. However, there can be considerable savings by going slightly older.

https://sportsmobile.com/van-invento...3l-diesel-4x4/
Old 06-03-2020, 10:53 AM   #7

Thanks for the feedback on the 2013. I am aware of the 2002 as well. I love this rig as well, however, it was my understanding you are not able to finance a rig older than 10-years. I have the funds to purchase, however, I would prefer not to drop $70,000 cash. Are there any other financing options available that you are aware of?
Old 06-03-2020, 10:59 AM   #8

There aren't too many great financing options for older rigs. That's the #1 complaint. So you either spend the cash or buy something newer. There are some places that will basically give a personal loan for around 6-7% but I haven't looked into that.

I would think you could get an older rig for around $40-50k, especially if you got a gas one. 7.3 diesels command a premium.

I would probably go newer if its all the same, because you are getting particle board cabinets that have fewer years on them. And there is something to be said for that.

My other suggestion would be to drive an econoline based van and then drive either a transit or sprinter. I think the econoline looks rugged and tough but I own one econoline and two transit campers. The transit blows the econoline out of the water on pavement. If you need the true 4x4 capabilities for crawling over rocks and stuff, you can't beat the econoline. But if you do dirt roads and pavement, I would SERIOUSLY consider a transit.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:04 AM   #9

That is great feedback. I haven't really considered any other options than the classic. I like the flexibility to take the econoline anywhere, but truth be told, we probably would not be doing much rock climbing. I will see if there is anything out there. And if you find anything out there, we are all eyes.

I really appreciate the support!
Old 06-03-2020, 11:09 AM   #10

Where are you located?