Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #1

Looking for my first

Was looking for a Westfalia for my little family, but came across something called a "Sportsmobile". These things freakin rock! So, here's what I am looking for, hopefully it's not impossible to find:
Must sleep 2 adults and 1 kid (penthouse preferred)
sink
stove (give or take)
prefer 4x4 (for hunting, who wouldn't)
located somewhat near Oregon, I am located in Corvallis

Unfortunately I am a student and will be starting grad school next fall so my poverty will deepen for the foreseeable future. I did just sell my '79 Int'l Scout II and have $7800 to spend. Of course, anything less will allow me to pay down some student loans.
I don't care if it's pretty, but my tinker space is limited in the place we rent so it needs to run reliably.
If you know of anything that might work, please email me brycege at gmail dot com. Thanks!
In the meantime I will be digging through this forum I just found and learning as much as I can!

skruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #2

Looking for my first

I live in Corvallis. Send me a PM and I would be glad to give you a tour of my rig.

Larrie
89 Ford 2WD penthouse
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #3

Looking for my first

SMB for $7800 not impossible. with 4x4 less possible. Craigslist is your friend. Check our classified section too. Good luck.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:21 AM   #4

Re: Looking for my first

Thanks. I don't mind hunting/scouring for the right deal on the right rig online. I have already subscribed to the classified and local deal forums here- great resource!
skruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:13 AM   #5

Looking for my first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
SMB for $7800 not impossible. with 4x4 less possible. Craigslist is your friend. Check our classified section too. Good luck.
I don't know, lots of older ones have popped up this summer in that price range. Not new and higher miles of course, but they're out there.

BUT, if you've got 7800 only, find yourself a nice van for 5k (easy) and build your own. That's easy for your budget sans the pop top, and it would be a good way to start and learn.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:18 AM   #6

I can testify that some great rigs are out there... unfortunately I blew it about 6 weeks ago and did not JUMP on the 89, 2wd SMB available here in Bozeman for $2900. Real clean in & out, only 58K ( that was my concern- low miles can sometimes be as bad as high miles-dry seals, etc.) Keep the faith and one could turn up anytime!!
ridnridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #7

I also own a older cheap SMB (91 E-250) I've had for 8 yrs. It's 2WD but it will go up very poor roads quite well. I've used it in Baja since I got it and over the years have learned it will handle alot of conditions. I still would prefer 4X4 but you won't find anything at your price range. Give a 2WD a try, you will be suprised, Lance
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote