Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #1

looking for pop out windows

Hi,

I still bought a E350 SMB 4x4 and I want to convert the fix windows in the rear and side doors to pop out windows.
So i am looking for a complete set to convert it

I'm from the Germany
I will take care of shipping etc,s for seller it is a normal deal.

You can send me mail when you can help me

Thanks

Didi

schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #2

Re: looking for pop out windows

Those windows are getting harder and harder to find. They stopped offering them as an option around 2003 or so except for the front (larger) side door one. They come in two colors of glass, dark gray privacy and a greenish tint. You also need to get all of the hardware as nothing is available from Ford anymore except the complete front side door glass kit. I have two green tint ones for my rear doors but am looking for the dark tint ones to match the rest of my van. If I ever find some mine will be for sale. Maybe a auto glass shop could help.

Here is an older thread about them with the part numbers just in case you might want to try to get them new over there.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1296&hilit=pop+out+windows
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #3

I'll buy all of those in sets that can be found. I have sides and rear (with screens) and would pay for a second all around set (gray/grey v. green), and as many complete sets as you have. Seem like the aftermarket world would have filled the need. Maybe schluchtenflitzer can find a forward-thinking supplier/manufacturer and make himself a fortune.
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #4

Marc where did you get the screens or do you know who makes them?

I too try to but them when I see them. I saw a rear set at a wrecking yard a month ago or so that someone painted white with a broom by the looks. I thought about buying them and cleaning them up, but they were the green ones and I have a set of them.
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Old 08-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #5

I don't know the original screen maker (they are only screened on the back ones), but they are just as weird as they are useful. The "pop-open thingy" is surrounded by a palm-sized velcro that is sewn into old-school, heavyweight aluminum screen. They are great 'cause you can open them in rain or what-have-you and get air flow, no 'skeets!

I have had two opportunities to effem-up. Once, I slammed both doors shut on a table that I was delivering. The table was upside-down, legs up, and the curvature of the rear doors allowed the screens to hit the ends of the legs. The table was fairly heavy, and didn't move. If the screen had not been old-school, it would have torn... instead, the indentations in the screen remind me every time I open the back.

The second fox paw was very recent in it's discovery. I have a work-in-progress rear bumper condominium-type thang goin', and on our last tour, Christine noticed that the glass on the driver's side window was striking the upright tire carrier post... only when the glass was opened. Sheeeeit, the glass didn't break, only because the three-point hitch setup let it flex at the bottom enough to move while knocking the paint and primer off the post. I love that girl!

Sometime back, I acknowledged on the forum that, now that I realize how rare the windows are, I'm sure I'll break a few. I have sent word to j'yards in a 100 mile radius to find 'em, and the standard reply is... "we rarely get those vans, and never see pop-out windows, not to mention screens." Much-trusted local glass shop has no source.

Opportunity?
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
Old 08-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #6

plus, I would buy broom-painted, any color tint windows if I could find 'em... tint is easy to change, and broom paint is easy to remove. Git 'em for us Jamie!
Old 08-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #7

OK Marc I will go to the scrappers, pickers, bone yard whatever and see if I can find some later this week. Is it mostly the rears you are looking for? And you really only need the glass your hardware is OK? I was hoping a glass shop would be able to get at least the glass. I saw a van with broken hinge out windows one time at the bone yard and thought I should take the hardware just in case, but did I, no and now I need some of it to install the small side window I have that doesn't have enough.

Thanks for telling me about the Velcro, I was thinking of making something like that as Suzann can attract skeeters from miles away (talk show hosts too it would seem) and so far all I do is tape up screen after the window is already open and take it down when we close them. One more in the long list of little projects to do to the van.

Opportunity? I think the hardware could be made out of billet aluminum if we could just get someone to cast the glass for us we could break even or loose money on every set we could sell. Although I think I priced the side door one that is still available at my dealer and it was over $500 for the kit, the only way they sell it. Someone used to make nice dark tinted slider rear door windows with screens that one of my old Custom Van buddies has in his 94 Ford, but I can't find those anymore either.

Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Old 08-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #8

I would love to have a set for my 77 chevy van if anyone has a connection.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasrandall
I would love to have a set for my 77 chevy van if anyone has a connection.
1977 Chevy, I can help you with those. What ones do you need? The doors are slightly different with hinge outs but they can be made to work. The rear doors are somewhat easy but the slider door is a bit harder to do as you have to add a center post. Later model (1992-1995) doors have black surrounds on the glass and older ones have chrome. The buttons that go through the glass also changed from rectangle to round on the chrome ones. The frames sometimes come apart around the glass but can be glues back on. Why do I know so much about old GM vans you ask? Well let me tell you why. I bought a 1977 as my first new van back in January of 1977 (I ordered it un June of 1976) I have almost always had at least one until this spring when sold a rare 1980 Chevy Nomad van. I have parted out a bunch of them through the years and still have lots of parts. Know anyone looking to make one into a 4x4? I have two full kits and most of a third one. Any way let me know about what you might want as far as windows or anything else goes. I have some left and the yards around here are full of the newer black framed hinge out windows. Sliding doors ones are quite hard to find but I have a set of those (black I think) and the center post and gaskets to go with them.

Tell me about your van sometime. I loved my 77 and had it for 30 years. I still know the guy who bought it from me, its still going strong. Someday I hope to find another one maybe a shorty. ..

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Old 08-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #10

Whow thanks for the lot of information guys! Hard to read for me with my bad english knowledge
I think if i had the hinge-joint (i mean the metal parts) and the screens i would find someone over here to built the glass.
In germany i have no chance to get something at the wrecker. So I need your help

Didi
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote