Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #1

looking for SMB for sale

My wife and I are looking for a SMB. We were going to buy one last week after 2 years of saving for it and we had our one way tickets and asked the man if he wanted a deposit to hold it and he said " no I would never sell it unless you didn't want it" . Well four hours before our one way non rufundable plane tickets were scheduled to leave he called us and told us someone showed up with cash and he took it. We were devasted, my wife actually cried. She had our first trip all planned to crater lake. The mans name was Rolland and he lives in Bakersfield. So if anyone knows him they can remind him about the ethics of giving your word to someone.
Long storey but we are looking for one. We want a poptop 50 style four wheel drive.
Thanks you very much. We are willing to fly almost anywhere and drive it home. Also we dont need a loan we have cash.
Joshua and Yuliis 707-834-4315

humboldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: looking for SMB for sale

That sucks. At a minimum, he should have called you to give you first right of refusal. Heck, not that it would have been right either, but he could have even played the two interested parties off each other.

Keep looking, there are a lot more great, used ones out there that when I was looking a couple years back.

Herb
Old 11-12-2009, 06:58 PM   #3

That's a horrible story. I'm sorry... Here's hoping it comes back around to him. Sometimes I just can't understand how folks treat other people in ways like that. It's not ok.
Zaskoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #4

That's a shame. Happened to us with an Up-Country Cherokee my wife really wanted, gave the guy a $100 check to hold it til Monday, because it was Saturday afternoon and I don't make a habit of going around with cashiers checks for the asking price in my pocket... unfortunately someone else DID and he sold it from under us, called and told us our check was in his mailbox.

There are good SMBs out there right now, and good people mostly. Hopefully you'll find one that is better shortly... financing is the hangup for most people, so keep in mind you shold be ahead of the game in buying.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:54 AM   #5

Sorry that it didn't work out for you, but there are lots of them for sale right now, and it shouldn't be hard to find one you like.

Do you have years and price range you are trying to stay within?
blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

Joshua and Yuliis,

Sorry to hear that. I would love to show you mine if I still had it. However, most SMB owners are happy to show off their rig and are very nice. My father taught me the meaning of a "handshake" and I abide by that my whole 31 years of existence. When my SMB was in the market, I have agreed on a price with the buyer and even though there were 5 interested buyers offering more $$$ than listed, when the transactions was pending, I did not want to show the vehicle or kindly entertain any other offer. I just really believe in good ethics and good karma. I'm sure Rolland will get his disappointment one day....

Cheers
Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:59 PM   #7

Thanks alot everyone for all the encouragement. I am sure we will find what we are looking for. If anyone wants to know a little more along the lines of what we are after. We would really like something 2001 or newer and has to be four wheel drive. We like the 50 layout but are open to other floorplans. We want a poptop and racks and decent bumpers are a plus. Also some people out there have some very nice rigs for sale that do not have cook stoves. We really need that. and lastly a diesel is our #1 choice.
Thanks again,
Josh and Yuliis
Old 11-13-2009, 07:30 PM   #8

I wouldn't be too hung up on the fixed cooktop. It is incredibly easy to just bring a portable butane or propane stove with you instead. This actually has several advantages to the fixed cooktop:

You have countertop space when not cooking
Easy to maintain/replace if there is a problem
Much less expensive
You can bring it outside to cook

Best of luck, I'm sure you will find something perfect soon.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:21 PM   #9

Yes I didnt really think of that but you are right i'm sure it would be nice to have the option of cooking outside. I think my wife really wants a stove fixed inside though. I have learned one thing. Life is so much easier to just agree with your wife and make it happen.
Josh and Yuliis
Old 11-14-2009, 08:12 AM   #10

I too started looking for a fixed top stove, however I've found the little butane stove + counter space is really a great option...

You can cook outside regardless, even with a built-in you can store a butane portable in the side door pantry or elsewhere.

Another nice thing about the portable is that you can move it around inside the van, I cook on the pantry from the passenger seat when the top is down, or I want to sit, and move the portable stove to the counter when the top is up and I want to stand and cook. I also cook outside whenever camped, inside only when raining or at a quick stop for lunch or whatnot.

I'm getting a second butane stove to do the 2 burner thing, which is probably the biggest advantage of a built in- you get multiple burners out of the gate. With the dual butanes, I'm not sure there is counterspace to comfortably cook with both (although not an issue with me, 98% of the Sporto meals are currently 1 burner anyway and I'll do the rest outside).

Back to the cooktop, you get single source fuel (well either built in propane or diesel) whereas the butane containers are not sold everywhere... no shortage, just you can't waltz into walmart and pick one up if you're low. Never been a problem for me, but I cook 3 meals a day in the Sporto so it would be rough without stove fuel.

Good luck, and keeping the other half happy... good plan.