Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2017, 08:56 PM   #11

Thanks for your comments, still hunting for my replacement SMB van as I couldn't get any price reduction on that nice Dodge.

I do have a 3/4T 4WD pickup and probably will have to go with it and a pop up camper for this next summer's travels.

I did PM the guy above who's going to see the same van I looked at. It was a very clean lo mile rig.

gbail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag4582001 View Post
IMO
Here's the KBB on a 2001 Dodge van:
Suggested retail of $4600.
Now if someone added $20,000 worth of extras, those extras are now worth used prices. The pop up, awning, fridge, bed are all used.
Kinda my thoughts too at this point....
gbail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbail View Post
Thanks for your comments, still hunting for my replacement SMB van as I couldn't get any price reduction on that nice Dodge.

I do have a 3/4T 4WD pickup and probably will have to go with it and a pop up camper for this next summer's travels.

I did PM the guy above who's going to see the same van I looked at. It was a very clean lo mile rig.
If your budget is limited to $20-25K I'd look for a used 4x4 conversion van (not a camper van) and buy an offroad style pop up camper to go with it. It will do everything a 4x4 camper van can do and more. More sleeping room, more elbow room, more storage, more weight capacity, more versatility. Can be a kid hauler on weekdays and long trips and a camper hauler for vacation trips. Some of the Chevy/GMC vans with explorer conversions and Quigley IFS 4x4 can be had for less than the fords and it will ride much better. Value is night and day difference compared to same money for the dodge 2wd sportsmobile. Much easier sell, much less depreciated value, etc.