Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2016, 05:58 PM   #1

Need help with fair pricing

Hey Gang,

Wife and I are going to see the below van this week and are very interested in buying it (depending on a few issues).

I'm trying to figure out a price that is fair to both buyer and seller and could use some advice.

I had a 2000 Dodge with a pop top and a simple, sparse interior (refer, stove, two cabinets, rear couch bed) with 76,000 miles, and new tires on it that I sold here three years ago for only @ $9,000.

So this 2001 Dodge RB at $29,500 seems a bit high for age (not sure yet how well all applications work).

"2001 Dodge RB B2500 5.2L - 318/ V8
Price: $29,500
Miles: 48,000, 5.2L- 318/V8
Seats 5, Sleeps: 4, Pop-Top w/Bed, Stove, Sink, Propane Refrigerator, Starcool A/C, Porta Potti, Lots of Storage, 10 Gal. Water Tank, Awning, Running Boards, New Michelin Tires & House Battery, Always Garaged," (at the SMB used van website: http://sportsmobile.com/preowned-sportsmobile-west-inc/)

Any advice? Thx mucho.

gbail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:04 PM   #2

Based on similar vans I've seen for sale over the last few years I think their asking price is way too high. I would think somewhere around $20K would be high retail. Just my opinion though.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:47 PM   #3

Check this one out on Ebay. No reserve.
1999 Sportsmobile Penthouse Pop Top Class B Camper Van with Only 34,777 Miles !! | eBay
Old 10-30-2016, 08:30 PM   #4

Garage
The 318 motor is bulletproof. That's a definite plus. The Dodge vans of that era (1998 to something like 2003) have front issues. Do a Google search on "Dodge death wobble." Then take this van on a long drive and make sure the front end is OK.

This rig has a absorption fridge instead of a compressor fridge. Not the end of the world, but there are implications, positive and negative. On the plus side, it will run off propane, so you can leave it on without killing your battery. On the down side, it will not cool as well as a compressor fridge. And it will not work at all--on battery, propane, or 110v AC--if your van is more than about 5 degrees out of level, front to back. That has implications for anyone who is not parking at a perfectly graded campground.

I think MrHenrietta has a reasonable perspective on pricing.

Good luck!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:16 PM   #5

Thank you all for the input. I didn't know of the front end problems even though I previously had a Dodge.

I do remember mine was a challenge to keep it tracking straight at highway speeds...took lots of constant driver effort but I just thought that was the nature of the beast

Fridge is definitely an issue. I'd like to build in a replacement for a 3way unit into the purchase price, then add solar, but will have to research to see if the compressor fridges are also propane powered?

Thx again....
gbail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:09 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbail View Post
Fridge is definitely an issue. I'd like to build in a replacement for a 3way unit into the purchase price, then add solar, but will have to research to see if the compressor fridges are also propane powered?

Thx again....
Compressor fridges are not also propane powered. They are electric only. Most will run on either 12v or 120v; some are 12v only.

They typically use 10% to 20% of the power that is used by an absorption fridge, so they are quite efficient, and much more compatible with solar power and house batteries than absorption fridges. There are plenty of folks who power their compressor fridges exclusively from solar with no issues.
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:08 PM   #7

Hey there gbail - I was doing some research on the 2001 Dodge and came across your post. It's still listed, and still at $29.5k. I'm supposed to travel out to CA this weekend to view. Any chance you can share what you learned? Would greatly appreciate some insight on this one. Did it have "issues" or was the owner simply stuck on the asking price?

Thanks in advance!
Cntrseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #8

IMO
Here's the KBB on a 2001 Dodge van:
https://www.kbb.com/dodge/ram-van-25...icetype=retail

Suggested retail of $4600.
Now if someone added $20,000 worth of extras, those extras are now worth used prices. The pop up, awning, fridge, bed are all used.
I've always had good experiences with Chrysler motors and trannys, unfortunately everything else would fall apart around them. The 318 in a 3/4 ton is going to be weak and eat a lot of gas.
Again, IMO, if you want to spend $29,000 you could find a good diesel 4x4 extended cab truck and put a topper on it. But that kind of money for a 2001 Dodge 2wd van.... I wouldn't do it even if I had the cash to burn.
2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
winmag4582001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:58 PM   #9

Every time I think I am dropping too much coin on my home build, I need only look at the SMB used vehicle section.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
Every time I think I am dropping too much coin on my home build, I need only look at the SMB used vehicle section.
Thanks for making that comment. Ham having sticker shock over drawer slides and cabinet hardware.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote