Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2018, 05:54 PM   #1

Should I buy this van?

Spent an hour on the phone with the seller. It's an hour and a half drive, so I am a little hesitant to make the drive if it's not a solid yes.

He says everything is perfect EXCEPT...the digital mileage indicator reads "error". He says it's because the sun damaged the instrument cluster and they tried to swap it out with a used one. Not sure if this is true or now, of course. He also says it had 160k miles previously.

Any advice?

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...653302960.html

SDSMB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Looks pretty damn clean.

Any chance you can get the VIN and run a CARFAX? I don't think a whole lot about that service, but if the van has been to a dealer, or another service center that reports mileage, it may help validate the mileage claim.

Will you be able to register the van in your state without a working odometer? Might be worthwhile to ask your DMV before you go any further.

Herb
Old 07-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Looks pretty damn clean.

Any chance you can get the VIN and run a CARFAX? I don't think a whole lot about that service, but if the van has been to a dealer, or another service center that reports mileage, it may help validate the mileage claim.

Will you be able to register the van in your state without a working odometer? Might be worthwhile to ask your DMV before you go any further.

Herb
Strongly suggest you take the advise above - I'd also reach out to Ford Dealer to see if a Code Reader can retrieve mileage???
Old 07-25-2018, 06:49 PM   #4

In CA they would probably just mark it TMU (true mileage unknown) on the title and let you drive away in it. Either way, its on the seller to make that happen, not you. Unless you are buying it "as is." Can you go with the seller to AAA to get it registered when you buy it? That might work. Then you would know for sure.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:38 AM   #5

Ad says they have receipts for work done, which should all have mileage noted on them I’d think.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:34 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Teeth Send a message via MSN to Teeth Send a message via Yahoo to Teeth
I was going to order a new digital cluster once and the people that rebuild them were going to reprogram the VIN and exact mileage into it. It was a long time ago, and I can't say for sure you'll still find people that will do any gauge cluster.. but if you can find a place that would do yours they might have some input or you could ask the seller to do it prior to the sale maybe?

Otherwise, a branded title means nothing unless you are going to sell it... then it can make things scary to potential buyers.
Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:52 AM   #7

Garage
Seems like 1 1/2 hours is nothing to go see the van. I picked up my first van in April and it took me a flight from Idaho to San Jose to see it and drive it home.

The van you're looking at seems VERY clean and priced to GO! If I was you, I'd follow the advice from the previous members, then run don't walk to go look at it (before someone else does). That is if that's the van you want...
Steve C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:14 PM   #8

No Brainier.. the price is right! Even if there was no odo... It runs drives and stops... You can eat sleep and #2 in it.. $8500.. what is that two months rent for a studio apartment in LA.. go get it and forget the unknown mileage.. drive it.. enjoy..
VanDude72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:35 PM   #9

I would take Herb's advice above so YOU know how many miles are on it, but I agree it doesn't really matter on a 23 year old van. Judging by the clean condition and it having a 7.3 it seems like a deal to me!

If you get it you have to keep the hubcaps......and the horseshoe.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:16 PM   #10

Looks like it is gone already, seemed like a great deal.
Slicks is offline   Reply With Quote