Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2021, 11:40 AM   #1

Side Pop-Out Window Assemblies

Complete with latches, mounting plate, screws, and extra nuts. If you have fixed OEM windows, these are direct bolt in replacements.

$165 per set. Pick up available in Santa Monica or Tucson. Shipping at cost.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1128.jpg   IMG_1129.jpg   IMG_1130.jpg  

Kendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:34 PM   #2

Hello,
Did you take these out of your van? If so, may I ask why? Is there something you didn't like about the way they function? I have been considering putting some in, but wonder if there are negatives to having them vs. non-opening windows. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFree View Post
Hello,

Did you take these out of your van? If so, may I ask why? Is there something you didn't like about the way they function? I have been considering putting some in, but wonder if there are negatives to having them vs. non-opening windows. Thanks.
Welcome to the forum! These usually come out of junked vans. No downsides. Add tint so no thieves can look inside your vans. If you have standard windows these install in less than time than it takes for Dominos to show up.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:19 PM   #4

When I find a pop out window in a junkyard, I grab it. Sometimes, it takes more than one find to make a set. Sometimes, I go many months without seeing any. Recently, I scored two sets in a "virgin" junkyard in Oklahoma City on the same day.

I have full sets of pop outs in my two vans and my daughter has a full set in hers. They're great. I've had no issues when parked or doing 80 mph.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:41 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
No downsides.
Not sure about others vans, but using the side pop outs when driving is annoying in my van anywhere faster than 20 mph. Louder than a 7.3 with the door windows down at 80 loud. We use them stationary but not in motion. To me that’s a downside. Ford shoulda copied gm with their barn window pop out design. Much quieter at any speed.

I find these most every time I visit our pick and pulls. Shipping on stuff right now is so nuts that I don’t even bother pulling them anymore.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:29 PM   #6

People drive with them open? Here in the future we have A/C. Remember the little triangle windows in the front of cars and trucks for fresh air? Back when the drinking age was 18 and people still smoked on planes?
Old 08-06-2021, 12:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
People drive with them open?
Do I forget they're open before I pull out on the road? Uh.... yeah. Also, the ex-AT&T vans I have aren't lacking for other noise sources to cover up the sound of air whistling past the open windows, what with a complete lack of sound deadening material or interior panels. Eventually, I will get enough Kilmat installed that I will then have to focus on replacing torn door seals because I will be able to hear them while driving.

The point of it, to answer the post near the top, is that you CAN leave the windows open while driving; they're not going to fly off of the van if you do. Whether you WANT to leave them open or not is a completely different question.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:34 PM   #8

Greetings -- so I found some rear pop out windows with all hardware, etc. Regarding the rear driver side window - on a finished interior by SMB West - how difficult/what's involved re screws, etc., to remove the finished plastic panel on the interior - so that I can unscrew the existing non-movable window - to install the new pop out ? Can anyone supply a photo of their driver side rear pop out - before and after - installing a new pop out ? Are longer screws needed at the push out knob at base of window - longer than the standard screws that come with the latch/push out knob ? Somewhat worried that the wrong size screws - too long of screws - could break the plastic panel/molding ?

I see screws at top of window that should release plastic molding - but where/what's/how many screws are under the finished plastic panel and upholstered rectangular panel that lays on top of plastic panel ? Pictures anyone ?

Hoping to tackle this - this weekend -- Thanks for any guidance or photos !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:48 PM   #9

Everybody's van is a little different. Regardless, that plastic molding panel just pops off. Pull hard. If there are screws just remove them before pulling.

The existing window is held on with nuts. They aren't very tight. You can reuse those nuts with the pop out windows. Sometimes there are metal tabs that go with the nuts. Reuse those as well if you have them.

At the base of the window you need the metal insert to attach the latch with the 3 screws. Your kit should have that metal insert as it is not there with standard windows.

It really is an easy install
Old 08-10-2021, 03:24 PM   #10

Thanks simplsez - just concerned that with an "02 build - those rear plastic panels have become brittle with sun/age - and "pulling" too hard before locating screws - will crack panel - then will never find a replacement panel, etc. I get the "nut" thing - and have all the hardware - was just hoping somebody had a build thread where maybe they had some photos of screw placement, etc. Thanks for reply though !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote